RE: Recent update made everything too small

jcms

Mar 3, 2008, 3:59:02 PM3/3/08
Hello, It happen to me too, (3) times, & I restored to, but it came back,
finally I change my window update settings, to ask first to download and
install, instead of automatic. Then when I viewed the newest updates, I
unchecked intel chipset, right clicked, and chose to hide update, that was
today, so we'll see if that takes care of the problem. The problem is every
time you restore, that update isn't updated, so it comes back, but I think if
I hide it, it might not show up again, lets hope not.
--
Thankyou
jcms

"jessk" wrote:

> Hello! An update for Intel Corportation Video Express Chipset Family was
> installed on my computer on Friday night. When I got on my computer Saturday
> morning, everything (text, text boxes, internet windows, email window) was
> much smaller than usual and very difficult to read. After trying to fix this
> problem with no luck, I just did a system restore and set my computer back to
> right before the update. However, this morning the update was installed
> again so I am wondering if this happened to anyone else and how do I fix the
> problem?
>
> Thanks!
> --
> jessk

jessk

Mar 3, 2008, 4:48:01 PM3/3/08
So do you know what the update is for or if it is necessary?
--
jessk

jcms

Mar 3, 2008, 5:14:00 PM3/3/08
No I Don't, but I 'm going to look into it. I was cocerned, it might be
important, but not after seeing what it can do on your computer. I saw that
update earlier, but it was listed as optional, not it's important. Who knows.

CSW

Mar 3, 2008, 6:23:01 PM3/3/08
I have the same problem driving me nuts, it will not allow me to reset to the
former driver, Norton Save and Restore will not restore, and Microsoft says
it has no restore points.

Heidi

Mar 3, 2008, 6:41:01 PM3/3/08
My PC went completely bonkers after installing that update - I could not use
my keyboard, could not even sign into the PC. Finally had to manually shut
it down, then go back in through safe mode and restore before the update.
Since it says important, I'm not sure what to do either, but with it, I can't
use the computer at all.

Thom

Mar 3, 2008, 7:45:24 PM3/3/08
I have the small screen problem after this update. Not being the sharpest
person on doing a recovery can someone talk me thru it?

Thom

jessk

Mar 3, 2008, 8:16:34 PM3/3/08
I contacted Dell Support and here is the response I was given:

1. "Unstall the video driver in 'Device Manager' by using the following steps
a. Click the start button
b. Left click on control panel
c. Left click on 'Switch to classic view'
d. Double left click on 'System' icon
e. Left click on 'Hardware' tab
f. Left click on 'Device Manager' button
g. Click on the '+' sign next to 'Display Adapter' to expand the
entry for that
category
h. Right click on the entry that would populate and left click on
'uninstall'
2. Please restart the system
3. Please check if the issue is now resolved. If you continue to have the
same issues, please download and install R167384.EXE from
http://tinyurl.com/32vr35.

I have not yet tried this so don't know if it will work or not. I sure hope
it does.

Jessk

--
jessk

realcestmoi

Mar 4, 2008, 4:59:02 AM3/4/08
Hi there,

Did you try changing the screen resolution?

Best regards,
Michel Denie
"jcms" <discu...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Jigsaw

Mar 4, 2008, 1:52:02 PM3/4/08
I got the same small text problem after a Friday night update. Did the
restore feature and it went away. Problem returned on Saturday. This time
Restore couldn't restore for some reason. Seems the culpret is the Video
express Chipset update. Is there any way to uninstall this update, or will
Intel Corp acknowledge the problem and fix it for us all?

--
Ray

jcms

Mar 4, 2008, 2:10:03 PM3/4/08
Spoke to Dell, supposely that chip family is installed on my computer, & its
supposed to be important, all they said was if you had any more problems with
small text, or whatever, to go to display settings and fix your desktop, to
your specifications. He made no comment when I told him I had to hide it,
because it kept coming back. After I changed my windows settings, and
restored my computer, I didn't have problems with the small issue, but I
started computer this morning, and my mouse and keyboard weren't working, I
had to set up again. Whatever, this update is a real pain, but supposely
important for video, and etc. I've had an issue with something everyday since
this installed.
--
Thankyou
jcms

jcms

Mar 4, 2008, 2:17:02 PM3/4/08
Do a system restore, to before the update, and It will bring your computer
back to before this install, then set your windows update to let you know
when you want to download and install, that way if you see the update again,
uncheck it and hide it so it doesn't come back again. This may help, but as I
said this update has been a real pain.
--
Thankyou
jcms

TWAincarolina

Mar 4, 2008, 2:26:01 PM3/4/08
1st time I've ever tried to post here. Hope this works :-)
I've had this same problem for 3 days.
Has anyone figured out what to do?
Please help me figure this out...IN SIMPLE TERMS :-)
Thanks !

realcestmoi

Mar 4, 2008, 6:13:20 PM3/4/08
Hi there,

Taking OPTIONAL drivers from windows update for non Microsoft hardware is
not recommanded.

If your hardware works fine: just leave it be working fine.

If an update is needed because the harware does not funtion well ( if it
ain't broke do not try to "FIX" it) than go to the manufacturers website for
an
updated driver.

Try booting last known good configuration, system restore in safe mode or
roll back on the driver.

Best regards,
Michel Denie.

"jessk" <je...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Thom

Mar 4, 2008, 6:46:05 PM3/4/08
Thom again:

I tried the system restore and got the following message; There was an
unexpected error. "The file name, directory name or volume label syntax in
incorrect. (0x8007007B). System restore will now close."

Does Microsoft do anything about these problems? I emailed them but no
response.

Thom

madnate28

Mar 5, 2008, 11:31:02 AM3/5/08
I have found out that computers with a default screen resolution of 1440x900
are not compatible with the chipset update but i have not found a solution
yet. I have contacted Intel to try and fix the problem, hopefully they will
respond soon. I have tried doing a system restore only to have it reinstall
the next day and I have tried to change my screen resolution which turned out
to be a pathetic fix to the problem. So hopefully Intel will help.

"jessk" wrote:

> Hello! An update for Intel Corportation Video Express Chipset Family was
> installed on my computer on Friday night. When I got on my computer Saturday
> morning, everything (text, text boxes, internet windows, email window) was
> much smaller than usual and very difficult to read. After trying to fix this
> problem with no luck, I just did a system restore and set my computer back to
> right before the update. However, this morning the update was installed
> again so I am wondering if this happened to anyone else and how do I fix the
> problem?
>
> Thanks!
> --

> jesske

madnate28

Mar 5, 2008, 1:41:02 PM3/5/08
Graphics
Unable to use the native resolution of some displays.

Symptom(s):

Users may be unable to use the native resolution of some displays when using
Intel® chipset graphics. Resolutions such as 1680x1050 and 1440x900 are not
available in graphics properties.

Cause:

The display EDID is not read properly when connecting to a subset of Digital
Flat Panel (DFP) displays.

Solution:

Intel has released this driver to specifically address this issue however,
there may be side effects to this solution such as longer than normal resume
times from standby. This solution will only work with external displays such
as DFP displays. This driver is not designed to address issues with Local
Flat Panel displays or TV's connected to the system. This driver is provided
as is. Intel has not tested, and does not warranty, the operation of the
driver for this purpose.

Select appropriate operating system and driver to resolve this issue:

Windows* XP driver

Windows* XP 64 driver

Windows Vista* driver

Windows Vista 64 driver

Operating System:
Windows* XP Professional x64 Edition, Windows Vista* 64, Windows Vista*
Starter, 32-bit version, Windows Vista* Home Basic, 32-bit version, Windows
Vista* Home Premium, 32-bit version, Windows Vista* Business, 32-bit version,
Windows Vista* Enterprise, 32-bit version, Windows Vista* Ultimate, 32-bit
version, Windows Vista* RC2, Windows Vista* Home Basic, 64-bit version,
Windows Vista* Home Premium, 64-bit version, Windows Vista* Business, 64-bit
version, Windows Vista* Enterprise, 64-bit version, Windows Vista* Ultimate,
64-bit version, Windows Vista*, Windows Vista* 32, Windows* XP Starter
Edition, Windows* XP 64-Bit Edition, Windows* XP Professional, Windows* XP
Home Edition, Windows* XP Media Center Edition

This applies to: Intel® 82945G Express Chipset
Intel® 82946GZ Graphics Controller
Intel® 82G965 Graphics and Memory Controller Hub (GMCH)
Intel® 82Q963 Graphics and Memory Controller Hub (GMCH)
Intel® 82Q965 Graphics and Memory Controller Hub (GMCH)
Intel® G31 Express Chipset
Intel® G33 Express Chipset
Intel® G35 Express Chipset
Intel® Q33 Express Chipset
Intel® Q35 Express Chipset
Mobile Intel® 945GM Express Chipset Family
Mobile Intel® 965 Express Chipset Family

this was found under Intel update drivers on intel web site. hope it helps

Solution ID: CS-028366
Date Created: 23-Sep-2007
Last Modified: 03-Dec-2007

madnate28

Mar 5, 2008, 1:47:00 PM3/5/08

Cause:

Solution:

Windows* XP driver

Windows* XP 64 driver

Windows Vista* driver

Windows Vista 64 driver

This information was found on Intels web site under g33 express chipset
under known issues and solutions. I have not tried installing the reccomended
driver yet.

PK Ole

Mar 5, 2008, 3:55:00 PM3/5/08
Everyone - Please contact Intel and Microsoft. Let 'em know updates like
this are not acceptable. I've spent a fair number of hours trying to resolve
this issue. Dell support had to delete my driver and use a generic one.
I've lost some features like screensaver, but the display looks better. Even
so, my computer still doesn't have factory clarity.

Maplemoose

Mar 5, 2008, 6:22:03 PM3/5/08

If you go to the Windows Vista support page, whether you use phone, email or
chat they want to charge $59!!!!!!!! How do they get away with this. They
screw up your pc and then charge to fix it!! Has anyone got an official
definitive answer on this yet? My browser is so bad now I can't see the
amounts on my bank statements because they are overlaid by fixed amounts on
the side. This is insane! I am tempted to do a restore in safe mode which
worked the last time they screwed me up with an update (5 days ago!) but I am
scared this may screw it up even more!

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Mar 5, 2008, 7:06:18 PM3/5/08

subsidiary.

your usual support contacts.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
AumHa VSOP & Admin; DTS-L.net

donna

Mar 6, 2008, 3:10:03 PM3/6/08

Hi everyone, I've been having the same problem, and --

I may have a solution!! Although it could be temporary, hopefully not. I
did some googling last night and on the Microsoft website found a page titled
“Use System Restore to Undo Changes if Problems Occur” The link to the page
is:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/helpandsupport/learnmore/systemrestore.mspx

I followed the steps this morning, it took about seven minutes for my PC to
come back up, but when it did, I was soooo happy to see normal sized icons !!
And the text looks back to normal as well. The text looks slightly fuzzy,
but it may be my imagination, probably is, after staring at very tiny font
for days. It is now definitely the best it’s been all week. Be sure to use
the restore date as the date before the update. My update came Saturday night
apparently, 3/1. And, I’ve changed my settings so the updates are no longer
just loaded on the PC without my knowledge.

I do hope this helps others. Good luck!

wallnutwhip

Sep 15, 2008, 8:54:00 PM9/15/08

"realcestmoi" wrote:

Thank you I got in a panic when everything went small on me. So I had a cup
of tea did a google found you and did a system restore and everything is back
to normal

wallnutwhip

Sep 15, 2008, 9:00:06 PM9/15/08

"donna" wrote:

I hope mine does not change back to small again it was a shock.