Re: Same update (KB837009) shows up again and again and again......

1 view

Robert Aldwinckle

Sep 20, 2005, 10:32:14 AM9/20/05
"Mark Hazebroek" <MarkHa...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:F7558E25-297A-41F7...@microsoft.com...
> Cumulative Security Update for Outlook Express 6 Service Pack 1 (KB837009)
> Keeps on showing up on my 2000 DC.
> windowsupdate.log shows the following: WARNING: Failed to evaluate Installed
> rule, updateId = {ED300F67-421C-4C08-B3BA-F35C55F3B427}.100, error =
> 0x80041017. Every time after the update is completed (succesfully!), the
> machine starts the sequence again and again. what is wrong?

The usual problem is having other OE updates installed which have
superseding modules for *some* of the modules which 837009 updates.
Apparently some of the other updates are not "cumulative" or do not have
837009 indicated as a pre-req.

Depending on which set of modules would be restored if you uninstalled
837009 or 823353 or ...(something else) I think that that should be a way
of getting the module versions to be less than or equal to the ones that
837009 wants to provide and hence make it fully installable. BTW notice
that in spite of the numbers that 823353 supersedes 837009.

What I would do is find all instances of inetcomm.dll (since it is one of
the modules which has been updated the most) in order to find all the
uninstall directories. Then I would use filever (from the Support Tools)
to list the versions of all the *.dll in each of those uninstall directories.
That would let you figure out for sure which uninstall would do what
and which order they should be done in if it looked as if you would have
to uninstall more than one.

An alternative approach if you aren't interested in diagnosing the cause
of the symptom would be to download the 837009 update and use the
/N:V switch on it to force the regression of any superseding modules.
This should be safe because 837009 is a true cumulative update and
because so far there are no other updates which contain supersets of
the modules it installs (otherwise you might be risking creating a set of
incompatible modules with such an approach.)

BTW that error code is very unusual. Please look at the Q837009.log
to see if it gives any more context for it.

Hmm... the last time I saw one of these it looked as if the user might
not have all the necessary services running.

http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsupdate/browse_frm/thread/5eea8427dec33544/8bac273bb590efa0?lnk=st&q=0x80041017+MSFT+group:microsoft.*&rnum=1#8bac273bb590efa0

(Google Groups search for
0x80041017 MSFT group:microsoft.*
)

Also later on in another subthread of that discussion Grace reported
a solution which apparently helped others with the OP's symptom.

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
---

PA Bear

Sep 20, 2005, 7:28:59 PM9/20/05
Windows version?

Assuming Win98 or WinME:

Clear History, delete Cookies and delete TIF via IE: Tools > Options >
General, then...

1. Download the Cumulative Security Update for Outlook Express 6 Service
Pack 1 (KB837009; all OSS) from the following link, saving it to your
Desktop:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=925628BD-1B5F-4B21-8D­B6-EDE1C73F97B5&displaylang=en

2. Restart the computer in Safe Mode. (During the reboot, keep pressing the
F8 key until the Windows Startup menu appears > Choose Safe Mode > Enter.)

3. In Safe Mode, rename the downloaded file to KB837009.EXE and copy it to
C:\ (the root directory of drive C; assumes drive C is the boot drive)

4. Start > Run > (type in) C:\KB837009.EXE /N:V (Note the spaces) > press
ENTER

5. Close the command window.

6. Reboot into Windows and see if the problem persists.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE, Security, Shell/User)

Mark Hazebroek

Sep 21, 2005, 2:05:02 AM9/21/05
2000 DC, wrote this in the original post also...

Torgeir Bakken (MVP)

Sep 21, 2005, 7:21:58 AM9/21/05
Mark Hazebroek wrote:

> Cumulative Security Update for Outlook Express 6 Service Pack 1 (KB837009)
> Keeps on showing up on my 2000 DC.
> windowsupdate.log shows the following: WARNING: Failed to evaluate Installed
> rule, updateId = {ED300F67-421C-4C08-B3BA-F35C55F3B427}.100, error =
> 0x80041017. Every time after the update is completed (succesfully!), the
> machine starts the sequence again and again. what is wrong?

Hi,

Most likely because you have newer OE updates already installed, and
the detect mechanism fails to see it.

If found in Add/Remove Programs, uninstall KB823353 and KB897715.

Now see if you ca manually install KB837009.

Download KB837009 from here:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/ms04-013.mspx

When KB837009 is installed, then manually re-install KB823353 first,
and then KB897715.

Download KB823353 from here:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/ms04-018.mspx

Download KB897715 from here:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/ms05-030.mspx

the 1328 page Scripting Guide:

Mark Hazebroek

Sep 21, 2005, 8:40:02 AM9/21/05
Thank you for your response Torgeir, but i inplemented the solution in the
post by Robert Aldwinckle allready and must reboot my DC. So this has to wait
till tonight, then i can tell if he was right. If not, i will try your
solution.

Mark.