Re: Update Issues...

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Dec 10, 2008, 12:19:50 AM12/10/08
[X-post to WU newsgroup]

You may receive an error message that contains the "0x8DDD0018" code or the
"0x80246008" code when you try to download updates from the Microsoft
Windows Update Web site or from the Microsoft Update Web site:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/910337

However, there's a very strong possibility that the problem is due to a
hijackware infection.

2. Run this online scan (in safe mode w/networking, if need be):

3. Run additional checks for hijackware, including posting your hijackthis
log to an appropriate forum.

Checking for/Help with Hijackware
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=5878
http://wiki.castlecops.com/Malware_Removal_and_Prevention:_Introduction
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

When all else fails, HijackThis v2.0.2
http://spywarehammer.com/simplemachinesforum/index.php?board=10.0,

=====================

Support for Windows Update:

security updates.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net

Steven Sinclair wrote:
> No matter what I do, I run into this error and no Windows Updates will
> install:
>
> Error Code: 0x80246008
>
> Unfortunately, I've spent the past three days scouring the web for
> answers,
> and have found many, many, many that apply, but none of them have worked.
>
> Aside from reformat and reinstall, is there a relatively painless
> solution?
>
> BITS is enabled as a service, but will not run.
> RPS is enabled and running.
>
> Don't know where to go from here.
>
> Thanx.

Yoda

Dec 10, 2008, 10:30:10 PM12/10/08
These steps worked great for me. I have had a problem with windows update for
about a year now, worked on it for days and just gave up. If it were not for
a few prgrams that I can not just reinstall, I would have wiped the system
and did a fresh install. Thanks to this post, my system is back to running
like new and with all the latest updeats from Microsoft! Thanks a million for
the info!

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Dec 11, 2008, 2:34:12 AM12/11/08
YW, Yoda, and thanks for your feedback!