RE: Code 737D Error - Security Update for SQL Server 2005 Service Pack

Jain@discussions.microsoft.com Anand Jain

Jul 9, 2008, 1:44:04 PM7/9/08

"Raj" wrote:

> Kind Attn: Windows Vista Business - Online Update Team,
>
> Today I have tried to update my computer with your latest updates which
> arrived today. Most of the updates where installed successfuly but there is a
> problem while installation of the Code 737D Error - Security Update for SQL
> Server 2005 Service Pack 2 (KB948109) update.
>
> I have tried to install so many times but it fails to install every time.
>
> Kindly fix the problem on the priority basis.
>
> With Regards,

I am also facing the same problem.

Raj

Jul 9, 2008, 7:42:00 AM7/9/08

KPW

Jul 9, 2008, 6:57:00 PM7/9/08
I am facing the same problem. Please fix the problem!

Darryl

Jul 9, 2008, 7:31:02 PM7/9/08

"KPW" wrote:

Me too

KPW

Jul 9, 2008, 10:25:00 PM7/9/08
I am running Windows Vista. I have attempted to restore back to an earlier
date (using Update restore points and checkpoint restore points), but the
restores have failed. I have also uninstalled 14 of 15 updates that
installed earlier today. The only update that will not uninstall is an SP1
update.

The failure of the install that produced the 737D Error has also affected my
ability to access certain web sites using Internet Explorer.

WHEN IS MICROSOFT GOING TO FIX AN OBVIOUS PROBLEM IN ITS SECURITY
UPDATES!!!!!! THIS IS ANNOYING AND AFFECTING MY BUSINESS!!!!!!!!

Glen Ueber

Jul 10, 2008, 12:22:01 PM7/10/08

I have the very same problem and the error message is 2B08 in SQL 2005
Service Pack 2 just will not load.

Glad i am not alone on this, but don't know what else to do to fix it.

Thanks

Glen

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Jul 10, 2008, 3:04:54 PM7/10/08
See "How to obtain help and support for this security update" at
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/948109

Display_Name

Jul 10, 2008, 9:38:01 PM7/10/08
Wonder how many people are having this problem?
I would be one of them.
You would think that Microsoft would be checking these updates to ensure
they can apply without these errors. This update has failed 10 times on my
computer and Windows Update insists on my downloading and trying the update.
No explanation from Microsoft anywhere?
Gives a code 737D on failure - yet nothing on Microsoft covering this code -
wonder where the code comes from - what generates it - why nothing?
Typical Microsoft bloat.
God help Microsoft if ever Google and Apple join forces.

Harry Johnston [MVP]

Jul 10, 2008, 10:45:28 PM7/10/08
Raj wrote:

> Kind Attn: Windows Vista Business - Online Update Team,

Microsoft don't officially monitor these forums. You might consider logging a
free support call:

<https://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?gprid=6527>

> Today I have tried to update my computer with your latest updates which
> arrived today. Most of the updates where installed successfuly but there is a
> problem while installation of the Code 737D Error - Security Update for SQL
> Server 2005 Service Pack 2 (KB948109) update.

Do you have substituted drive letters defined?

(If you aren't sure, start a command line by selecting Run from the Start Menu
and entering "cmd"; in the window that appears type "subst". If there are
substituted drives they will be listed. Don't include the quote marks.)

You'll need to delete any substituted drive letters before installing the SQL
update.

Harry.

TaurArian

Jul 10, 2008, 11:00:28 PM7/10/08
or try this forum: http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowForum.aspx?ForumID=95&SiteID=1

--

TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2009 - Update Services
http://taurarian.mvps.org

"Harry Johnston [MVP]" <ha...@scms.waikato.ac.nz> wrote in message

Klemens

Jul 11, 2008, 7:15:01 AM7/11/08
What is the Remote Registry service? Where do I find it? I am using a German
language Vista system...

Thanks,
Klemens

"Peter Saddow [Microsoft]" wrote:

> You receive this error when the previous upgrade has not completed
> successfully. If you view the log at %programfiles%\Microsoft SQL
> Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\Log\Hotfix\summary.txt you can get the instance
> with the issue. The message would be: "SQL Server Setup cannot upgrade the
> specified instance because the previous upgrade did not complete. Start the
> Remote Registry service and go to Add/Remove Programs, select the Change
> button for Microsoft SQL Server 2005, and then select SQL instance [2] and
> complete the setup."
>
> Follow the instructions in the message.
>
> Thanks,
> Peter Saddow [Microsoft]

Display_Name

Jul 12, 2008, 3:51:00 AM7/12/08
Solution as received from Microsoft Support to Code 737D Error - Security
Update for SQL Server 2005 Service Pack.
Much to my amazement, the support response was excellent and the
instructions were not only concise but worked.
Kudos to Microsoft - my past experiences with their customer service lead me
to believe that it was virtually non-existent. The response to this request
was timely - within 24 hours and accurate.
Below is their response and instructions:
Thank you for contacting Microsoft Windows Update Support. My name is Alex,
and I am glad to work with you. For your reference, the case ID for this
service request is SRX*******. You can contact me directly by sending an
email to ********@mssupport.microsoft.com with the case ID in the subject
line.

From the problem description, I understand that the computer failed to
install KB948109. Please feel free to let me know if I misunderstood.

I understand the inconvenience you have experienced. Please be assured that
I will do my best to resolve the issue.

The issue may be caused by one of the following factors:

1. The installation is affected by some third-party security software.
2. The downloaded installation file is corrupted.

In order to narrow down the cause of our issue, let's refer to the following
steps:

NOTE: Some third party programs can affect the Windows Update service. If
you are running any third party applications such as Spyblocker, Internet or
web accelerators (programs designed to boost the speed of the Internet
connection), security or anti-virus programs (Norton, McAfee, etc.), I
recommend we temporarily disable or shut them down and then try accessing
Windows Update later. Please be sure to enable them again when the update
process has been completed.

Step 1: Rename the Windows Update Softwaredistribution folder
This issue may occur if the Windows Update Software distribution folder has
been corrupted. We can refer to the following steps to rename this folder.
Please note that the folder will be re-created the next time we visit the
Windows Update site.

1. Close all the open windows.
2. Click the "Start" Button, click "All programs", and click "Accessories".
3. Right-click "Command Prompt", and click "Run as administrator".
4. In "Administrator: Command Prompt" window, type in "net stop WuAuServ"
(without the quotes) and press Enter.

Note: Please look at the cmd window and make sure it says that it was
successfully stopped before we try to rename the folder. However, if it
fails, please let me know before performing any further steps and include any
error messages you may have received when it failed.

5. Click the "Start" Button, in the "Start Search" box, type in "%windir%"
(without the quotes) and press Enter.
6. In the opened folder, look for the folder named "SoftwareDistribution".
7. Right-click on the folder, select "Rename" and type "SDold" (without the
quotes) to rename this folder.
8. Still in "Administrator: Command Prompt" window, type the command "net
start WuAuServ" (without the quotes) in the opened window to restart the
Windows Updates service.

Note: Please look at the cmd window and make sure it says that it was
successfully started. However, if it fails, please let me know before
performing any further steps and include any error messages you may have
received when it failed.

If the steps above do not work, let's refer to the following steps to
manually download and install the update.

Step 2: Download and install the update manually.
======================================
1. Please download the update from

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=4c9851cc-2c4c-4190-872c-84993a7623b7&DisplayLang=en

Please note its location.

2. Please double-click the downloaded file to install the update.

If an error is encountered when installing the update manually, please
capture a screenshot for further research

How to capture a screenshot
======================
1. Press the Print Screen key (PrtScn) on your keyboard.
2. Click the "Start" Button, type "mspaint" in the Search Bar and Press Enter.
3. In the Paint program, click the "Edit" menu, click "Paste". Then click
the "File" menu, and click "Save".
4. The "Save As" dialogue box will appear. Type a file name in the "File
name:" box, for example: "screenshot".
5. Make sure "JPEG (*.JPG;*.JPEG;*.JPE;*.JFIF)" is selected in the "Save as
type" box, click "Desktop" on the left pane and then click "Save".

Please send this saved JPEG file to my email account at
*******@mssupport.microsoft.com

In the meantime, to clarify the issue and provide more accurate
troubleshooting steps, please assist me in collecting the following
information.

How to collect the WindowsUpdate.log file
================================
1. Click the "Start" Button, type "WindowsUpdate.log" (without the quotes)
in the Search Bar and Press Enter. We will see a file named
"WindowsUpdate.log"
2. Now click on the "File" menu and then click on the "Save As".
3. From the left panel, click "Desktop" and click the Save button.

The file will be saved to your Desktop. Please send the file as an
attachment in an email to *******@mssupport.microsoft.com .

Note: When attaching files to emails, the process will vary depending on the
email application being used. While you are composing the email, most
applications will provide you with either an "Attach" button or Paper Clip
Icon to click in order to attach a file. After clicking this button/icon you
must browse to the file you wish to attach and select it by either double
clicking it or clicking it once and then clicking on the "Attach" button.

Please try my suggestions and let me know the results at your earliest
convenience. If you have any other questions, please do not hesitate to let
me know.

I look forward to your response.

Best Regards,

Alex Sang
v-30...@mssupport.microsoft.com
Microsoft Windows Support Professional

Very satisfied customers are my top priority. Please let either myself or my
manager know what you think of the level of service provided. You can send
feedback directly to my manager, Tony Tang at *******@mssupport.microsoft.com.

Windows Live OneCare:http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=*******
Give your computer continuous antivirus and firewall protection, along with
regular tune-ups and back-ups to maintain its performance.

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Jul 12, 2008, 12:10:39 PM7/12/08
> Much to my amazement, the support response was excellent and the
> instructions were not only concise but worked.

@lurkers: Take a tip from this poster. MS can't help you if you don't
contact them.

Support for Windows Update:

to a Security Update and cite the update's KB number.

your usual support contacts.

Tip: Temporarily disable real-time protection by your anti-virus and/or
anti-spyware applications (e.g., CounterSpy, Spysweeper, Spybot, AVG
Anti-Spyware) and/or any third-party firewall (e.g., ZA) before attempting
to install the update(s). If you disable a third-party firewall, do NOT
connect to the internet without having the Windows Firewall enabled!
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
AumHa VSOP & Admin; DTS-L.net

Dale - SBSguy unleashed

Jul 13, 2008, 10:33:07 AM7/13/08
Those conditions exactly matched my problematic machine. Now trying to
"Change" and complete the setup of the second instance listed I am gettting
an error that the installer can't find the "Use Source". The path must be to
a former temporary location as there is nothing at the drive letter (Y)
listed. Though I chose "Microsoft SQL Server 2005" from the Vista Programs
and Features list (not Microsoft SQL Server Compact Edition (ENU), the
installer is titled "Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express Edition". So now that
it didn't automatically find the "source" it needs where do I point it now?
What should be its source? It is looking for sqlrun_sql.msi.
--
Tehnology Blog around SBS
www.duitwithsbs.wordpress.com

"Peter Saddow [Microsoft]" wrote:

> You receive this error when the previous upgrade has not completed
> successfully. If you view the log at %programfiles%\Microsoft SQL
> Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\Log\Hotfix\summary.txt you can get the instance
> with the issue. The message would be: "SQL Server Setup cannot upgrade the
> specified instance because the previous upgrade did not complete. Start the
> Remote Registry service and go to Add/Remove Programs, select the Change
> button for Microsoft SQL Server 2005, and then select SQL instance [2] and
> complete the setup."
>
> Follow the instructions in the message.
>
> Thanks,
> Peter Saddow [Microsoft]

dcadmin

Jul 16, 2008, 7:24:00 PM7/16/08
I got the same error, actually 5 different machine on my network.

I opened a MS ticket on this Windows Update error.
The answer is that I have done every thing right; but still have the error.
Since this is MS SQLServer related, I need to open a new ticket with the MS
SQLServer team which I have to pay for the incident.

Any other suggestion will be appreciated.

Thanks
David

Jul 26, 2008, 7:19:01 PM7/26/08
I'm having the same problem.

paulp

Aug 6, 2008, 5:44:10 PM8/6/08
Dear Alex Sang.

Your advice was excellent and perfectly presented and worked extremely well
(although Update history now resides in the renamed Folder).

Thank you very much.

I do not know why obtaining solutions like this is so difficult and time
consuming - this information should be readily available to anyone who
googles "Error Code 737D" and follows a link to a Microsoft Help Site.

Thanks again!

Klemens

Aug 13, 2008, 6:20:00 AM8/13/08
Unfortunately the support in Germany is not helping out - they are claiming
that this is not a Windows or Office security update, but a Server security
update and for help on those I would have to pay.

Too bad, since I thought Microsoft were a bit further down the road on
support issues...

Robert Aldwinckle

Aug 13, 2008, 12:57:39 PM8/13/08
(cross-post added to SQL Server Setup)
"Klemens" <Kle...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

>> "TaurArian" <taurarian...@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> > or try this forum:
>> > http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowForum.aspx?ForumID=95&SiteID=1

and search for the decimal equivalent of your code...
and add (MSFT OR MVP) as an additional filter expression
(e.g. to try to highlight threads with answers)...

Oh great. That (filter) information is there but it is not indexed
by the site's search engine...

So try a Live Search full web search then:

http://search.msn.com/results.asp?FORM=sCPN&RS=CHECKED&un=doc&v=1&q=29565+%28MSFT+OR+MVP%29+site%3Aforums.microsoft.com

and use some links to Cached hits if necessary.

Otherwise the way the forum site's search appears to work is that
it can find you *threads* which contain the code and give you
the date and the poster's name but from there you have to find
the hit manually. How useful! (In a thread of 160 posts, given
over 11 pages? Not!)

Perfect. An MVP who "doesn't know what to do" (but who at least
knows enough to provide a verbose log for someone to look at)...

http://cc.msnscache.com/cache.aspx?q=29565+msft+mvp&d=73756085864992&mkt=en-CA&setlang=en-US&w=93d72bff,9d4c8972

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
---

Andrew L

Sep 4, 2008, 7:32:05 AM9/4/08
All,
Ahis is what fixed it for me after trying loads of other things, change
resume reg key to 0

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft
SQLServer\MSSQL.1\Setup\resume

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/307329.htm

Hope it helps out where in my case BE 11 was installed

regards

Andrew

jimnup

Sep 14, 2008, 11:40:13 AM9/14/08

I had MSSQL MSDE installed as part of Pinnacle Systems software. I
disabled the MSSQL engine. When the MSQL SQL Server 2000 update came out
- it failed. Shawn's advice in the above thread instructing me to change
the MSSQL* from disabled to manual solved the problem. The update which
was a pain in the neck for the past couple of months has now been
successfully applied. Thanks Shawn.

--
jimnup
jimnup's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/jimnup.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

x@discussions.microsoft.com jules x

Sep 16, 2008, 5:21:01 AM9/16/08

"Raj" wrote:

> Kind Attn: Windows Vista Business - Online Update Team,
>
> Today I have tried to update my computer with your latest updates which
> arrived today. Most of the updates where installed successfuly but there is a
> problem while installation of the Code 737D Error - Security Update for SQL
> Server 2005 Service Pack 2 (KB948109) update.

me too

can you please let me know of a fix

thanx

x@discussions.microsoft.com jules x

Sep 16, 2008, 5:40:01 AM9/16/08

"Raj" wrote:

me too

how do you fix, please

oeaster

Oct 25, 2008, 12:51:00 PM10/25/08
I have tried to install this update many times without success. Please fix
the problem as a priority item.

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Oct 25, 2008, 2:53:40 PM10/25/08
"Please call 1-800-936-5700 (or 1-800-936-4900 and ask to be routed to the
SQL-Public Team) to open a free consumer support case. There is no charge
for support related to installing a Security Update.

"When you call please let them know that this has to do with Security
Bulletin MS08-040.

"If they try to charge you, please let them know that there is free support
for any issues with Security Updates."

Source:
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsupdate/msg/05fc180d9f9e71b9
and
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsupdate/msg/dcbeea74c983c1c6

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Beaver

Dec 17, 2008, 1:16:35 AM12/17/08

ssignorelli

Mar 9, 2009, 5:22:22 PM3/9/09

This worked well for me:
Fix for SQL 2005 SP2 patch (KB948109) not installing
Rename C:\Windows\System32\CatRoot2 to
C:\Windows\System32\CatRoot2.old
net stop WuAuServ
Rename C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution to
C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution.old

Change permissions on (give full control to the folder/files for listed
accounts)
C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\Data
Disable any virus scan
Run the stand alone update.
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=4c9851cc-2c4c-4190-872c-84993a7623b7&DisplayLang=en#filelist

--
ssignorelli
ssignorelli's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/ssignorelli.htm

navkor

Oct 15, 2009, 12:26:39 PM10/15/09
I'm not sure if it's too late to add input to this, but I resolved the issue
successfully. The first thing you want to do is download and save the
installation file from this location
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=65109 and after saving it unzip it.

Then, go to add/remove programs in your control panel (or just uninstall a
program if you're using vista).

Then select Microsoft SQL 2005 and click Change at the top of the list.

Then select Microsoft SQL Express

and click next...follow the instructions until it asks you to go find the
source of the file "sqlrun_sql.msi". That's when you'll go to your unzipped
folder and go to setup and then click open. It'll finish doing the install.
Then you can finish doing that and any subsequent updates.

Ang

Oct 15, 2009, 5:16:01 PM10/15/09
I am having the same problem, still!

"Raj" wrote:

> Kind Attn: Windows Vista Business - Online Update Team,
>

> Today I have tried to update my computer with your latest updates which
> arrived today. Most of the updates where installed successfuly but there is a
> problem while installation of the Code 737D Error - Security Update for SQL
> Server 2005 Service Pack 2 (KB948109) update.

Harry Johnston [MVP]

Oct 15, 2009, 7:40:35 PM10/15/09
Ang wrote:

> I am having the same problem, still!

Have you tried the suggestions already in this thread?

Otherwise, as this thread is very old, I suggest you start a new thread with a
detailed description of your problem, including which operating system and
service pack you are running.

Harry.

Specialist@discussions.microsoft.com Microsoft Specialist

Oct 16, 2009, 3:13:01 AM10/16/09
whaoo, these updates are such a joke... I am also getting this problem on a
couple of vista computers with sql server on it , I guess i'll have to fix it
as ususal. on a side note this morning I had a windows 2003 server that
needed 34 updates one was for Ie 7.0 and then later on, the same update
stack, wanted to install Internet explorer 8.0 which in turn needed some
updates which allowed me to install more updates to update itself.... I don't
even browse the internet on this server!!! that's without accounting for 2
other win 2003 production servers that received the latest security update
for framework 2.0. IIS on these machines was shut down without a warning and
all web sites / services on these boxes were unaccessible for the duration of
the update installation which took a long time... therefore users were
complaining everywhere. at the end of that long and painful update period and
after the required rebootSSSS :) one of the two domain controller did not
come back properly unless forced reboot.

"overall the internet is unsecure, everybody get spammed and updates are
NOT very good.

I think I'll keep laughing while my boss pays me working for MS.

bye

ps: this is what i am discovering at the moment:

"PS3 works fantastic for mutimedia activity; linux is a fine O/S and also
last time I used a machinstosh to access the "web access for outlook" with a
safary browser I have to say that was the best i ever saw it worked. keep up
with the good work MS... and you'll find us leaving your world one after
the other. I am certainly not interest in windows 7.0 at this stage.

Microsoft Specialist

Oct 16, 2009, 3:22:01 AM10/16/09

By the way starting manually all ms sql server instances before applyying
the update fixed it for me.

bye

can't wait for the next lot of updates