cannot register mssip32.dll

Fred

Jan 13, 2005, 10:19:02 PM1/13/05
I cannot perform a windows update. Based on all the postings I have seen in
regard to this (my windows update error is: my current IE settings prohibit
running activeX controls) is to re-register softpub.dll, wintrust.dll,
initpki.dll, urlmon.dll and mssip32.dll. When I run "regsvr32 mssip32.dll",
I get a error saying "load library mssip32.dll failed, error message
0x00000002". Does anyone know how I can fix this. The other .dll files load
fine. I'm ready to pull my hair out, or throw the computer out the window.

Thanks,
Fred

Robert Aldwinckle

Jan 16, 2005, 2:26:52 PM1/16/05
"Fred" <Fr...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

>I cannot perform a windows update. Based on all the postings I have seen in
> regard to this (my windows update error is: my current IE settings prohibit
> running activeX controls) is to re-register softpub.dll, wintrust.dll,
> initpki.dll, urlmon.dll and mssip32.dll. When I run "regsvr32 mssip32.dll",
> I get a error saying "load library mssip32.dll failed, error message
> 0x00000002". Does anyone know how I can fix this.

The code means that a module was not found. (Ref. KB249873)
Unfortunately, we don't know which one.

Previously I have suggested perhaps users could try monitoring
this regsvr32 command with FileMon e.g. filtering on .dll
to see if that might uncover it. Another approach would be to use
the utility depends.exe (Dependency Walker) to list that module's
dependencies and then see if you could figure out from that list
which one was missing. In fact, it is showing me a warning (in XP):
<quote>
At least one module has an unresolved import due to a missing
export function in a delay-dependent module.
</quote>
So those might be good ones to start your checking with.
Who knows? Perhaps it even has an icon which means
delayed and missing which would really give you something
to check first.

You haven't disclosed your OS and it matters for advice
about repair. Some options are possible even without
knowing which module(s) are missing.

Try a search?

http://groups-beta.google.com/groups?q=mssip32+0x00000002+++group%3Amicrosoft.*&qt_s=Search+Groups

(Google Groups search for
mssip32 0x00000002 group:microsoft.*
)

You will find in those threads repair advice for specific environments
from various MVP and MSFT personnel.

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
---

Fred

Jan 17, 2005, 9:51:02 PM1/17/05
Robert,

Thank you for your help and information. I have determined that something
with installing Norton Antivirus software is causing this problem.

Thanks,
Fred