KB956572 installed ok & keeps promting to install

Bandit

Apr 17, 2009, 4:06:12 AM4/17/09
whats the deal with this new update? KB956572 using XP pro Sp3 & home on
other pc & this updates installs ok & prompts me to install again & again.
what ths fix for this, i had to disable automatic updates for the time
being.
Plz help this is annoying

thanks

Ǝиçεl

Apr 17, 2009, 5:37:02 AM4/17/09
Hello Bandit,

to a Security Update and cite the update's KB number (e.g., KB956572).

Support for Windows Update:

your usual support contacts.

Let us know what hªppens.

Ǝиçεl
-=-

Bandit

Apr 17, 2009, 11:55:47 AM4/17/09
thanks i did it they will notify by email didnt see # there just email
support

thanks

"??ç?l" <l...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> Hello Bandit,

> https://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?gprid=6527
>
> For home users, no-charge support is available by calling 1-866-PCSAFETY
> in
> security updates. When you call, clearly state that your problem is
> related
> to a Security Update and cite the update's KB number (e.g., KB956572).
>
> Support for Windows Update:

> For enterprise customers, support for security updates is available
> through
> your usual support contacts.
>

> Let us know what hªppens.
>

> ??ç?l

Bandit

Apr 17, 2009, 12:44:40 PM4/17/09
OK i got fix this what tech told me to do & worked:

EGSVR32 WUAPI.DLL
REGSVR32 WUAUENG.DLL
REGSVR32 WUAUENG1.DLL
REGSVR32 ATL.DLL
REGSVR32 WUCLTUI.DLL
REGSVR32 WUPS.DLL
REGSVR32 WUPS2.DLL
REGSVR32 WUWEB.DLL
net stop WuAuServ (if say already stopped its ok)
ren C:\windows\SoftwareDistribution SDold
net start WuAuServ

do that & reboot pc should stop the prompt to install again

"Bandit" <nomore@spam> wrote in message

Bandit

Apr 17, 2009, 12:50:55 PM4/17/09
make sure you click start run thenb type CMD you see a cmd window then type
in cmd window ...

REGSVR32 WUAPI.DLL

REGSVR32 WUAUENG.DLL
REGSVR32 WUAUENG1.DLL
REGSVR32 ATL.DLL
REGSVR32 WUCLTUI.DLL
REGSVR32 WUPS.DLL
REGSVR32 WUPS2.DLL
REGSVR32 WUWEB.DLL
net stop WuAuServ

ren C:\windows\SoftwareDistribution SDold
net start WuAuServ

u can delete the SDold in windows folder if works for you

"Bandit" <nomore@spam> wrote in message

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Apr 17, 2009, 3:22:37 PM4/17/09
And if you go to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com, is KB956572 offered?

Bandit

Apr 17, 2009, 5:15:45 PM4/17/09
PA BEAR YIKES,

its back support didnt work.. what the deal with this?, i ran it & came back
& turned auto updates off again.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABe...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Bandit

Apr 17, 2009, 7:10:02 PM4/17/09
Ok i remotly connected remotly with pc safety, only fix is to hide the
update apparenty there is a bug in this update according to them. i assume
there be new update to fix this one. they reported it to the develepers so
all reading this hide the update then it wont appear.
this was a pain but now i dont get prompt to install it now

"Bandit" <nomore@spam> wrote in message

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Apr 17, 2009, 7:17:30 PM4/17/09
I thought so.

link. Update History should show repeated failures for KB956572 along with
one or more error codes (hopefully). What error code(s) is/are shown?

Alternately, reopen your Support Incident (maybe call this time?) and tell
the tech what happened after you'd followed their instructions.

Bandit wrote:
> PA BEAR YIKES,
>
> its back support didnt work.. what the deal with this?, i ran it & came
> back
> & turned auto updates off again.
>

>> And if you go to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com, is KB956572 offered?
>>
>> Bandit wrote:
>>> OK i got fix this what tech told me to do & worked:
>>>

>>> REGSVR32 WUAPI.DLL

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Apr 17, 2009, 7:44:49 PM4/17/09
If "Security Update for Windows XP (KB956572)" is listed in Add/Remove
Programs, don't worry about it: Hiding it was what you needed to do.

If it's not listed, open a new Support Incident.

Bandit wrote:
> Ok i remotly connected remotly with pc safety, only fix is to hide the
> update apparenty there is a bug in this update according to them. i assume
> there be new update to fix this one. they reported it to the develepers so
> all reading this hide the update then it wont appear.
> this was a pain but now i dont get prompt to install it now

Bandit

Apr 17, 2009, 10:32:27 PM4/17/09
yes the update did install fine he remotly checked it just had to hide the
update. its in my add./remove also so its fine. hopefulle microsoft will
have a patch later to fix it

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABe...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Bandit

Apr 18, 2009, 5:36:21 PM4/18/09
Ok all another tech told me also you can do this & it worked finally & you
can restore hidden update & wont show in microsoft update or auto update

Step 1: Rename the ntkrnlpa.exe and ntoskrnl.exe files

1. Close all open windows.

2. Open "My Computer".

3. Navigate to C:\WINDOWS\system32.

Note: I assume the system is installed on the C: drive. If it is installed
on another drive, please modify the above location accordingly.

4. Find the ntkrnlpa.exe and ntoskrnl.exe files and right-click, and select
"Rename". Change the names to "ntkrnlpa.old" and "ntoskrnl.old". Make sure
you press "Enter" after typing in the new names so the changes are executed.

Step 2: Download the update from the following link

=======================================

1. Please visit the following link to download the KB956572 installation
file.

Security Update for Windows XP (KB956572)

http://download.microsoft.com/download/F/E/3/FE3F2F03-8128-4912-B079-7EF283013BD9/WindowsXP-KB956572-x86-ENU.exe

2. Save it to the Hard Disk C (C:\).

3. Click "Start" and click "Run".

4. In the Open box, copy in "C:\WindowsXP-KB956572-x86-ENU.exe
/overwriteoem" (without quotation marks) and press "Enter".

Note: There is a space between "C:\WindowsXP-KB956572-x86-ENU.exe" and
"/overwriteoem"

After this, please restart the machine and try to visit the Windows Update
site again to check if the Update KB956572 is still listed.

"Bandit" <nomore@spam> wrote in message

Ottmar Freudenberger

Apr 19, 2009, 11:49:36 PM4/19/09
"Bandit" <nomore@spam> schrieb:

> whats the deal with this new update? KB956572 using XP pro Sp3 & home on
> other pc & this updates installs ok & prompts me to install again & again.

KB056572 is a kernel update and ever since these are released for
Windows XP, MS doesn't get those to install correctly as soon as it's an
OEM system (with OEM drivers installed) on which these kind of updates
should be installed on.

To get these updates fpr Windows XP installed properly on these systems,
you'll need to download the update from DownloadCenter:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=73d2324f-be59-4b0c-b1ac-9876a13c2c03
*save* the file into a folder and execute the EXE with the parameter "/o"
(like "/overwriteoem") afterwards.

Let's assume you've downloaded the english version of KB956572 into a
folder "Downloads" which is located on your C: drive. Then enter the
following *including* all blanks and quote signs into "Run" in the Start
menu and hit [Enter] or click on OK afterwards:

"C:\Downloads\WindowsXP-KB956572-x86-ENU.exe" /o

After rebooting Windows, the update shouldn't be reoffered by WU/AU once
again.

HTH,
Freudi

S.@discussions.microsoft.com Olli S.

Apr 20, 2009, 6:09:01 AM4/20/09
I´ve got Windows XP SP3 Finnish Version, and this solution for
Windows-XP-KB956572-x86-FIN.exe worked perfectly for me. Now I don´t need to
hide this particular update in Windows Automatic Update Services anymore.
Thanks for a simple and elegant fix, Ottmar!

sami.n...@gmail.com

Apr 24, 2009, 7:46:07 AM4/24/09
On 20 huhti, 06:49, "Ottmar Freudenberger" <fre...@gmx.net> wrote:
> "Bandit" <nomore@spam> schrieb:
>
> > whats the deal with this new update? KB956572 using XP pro Sp3 & home on
> > other pc & this updates installs ok & prompts me to install again & again.
>
> KB056572 is a kernel update and ever since these are released for
> Windows XP, MS doesn't get those to install correctly as soon as it's an
> OEM system (with OEM drivers installed) on which these kind of updates
> should be installed on.
>
> To get these updates fpr Windows XP installed properly on these systems,
> you'll need to download the update from DownloadCenter:http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=73d2324f-be5...

> *save* the file into a folder and execute the EXE with the parameter "/o"
> (like "/overwriteoem") afterwards.
>
> Let's assume you've downloaded the english version of KB956572 into a
> folder "Downloads" which is located on your C: drive. Then enter the
> following *including* all blanks and quote signs into "Run" in the Start
> menu and hit [Enter] or click on OK afterwards:
>
> "C:\Downloads\WindowsXP-KB956572-x86-ENU.exe" /o
>
> After rebooting Windows, the update shouldn't be reoffered by WU/AU once
> again.

Thank you. It helped.

DanLot

Apr 26, 2009, 4:28:24 PM4/26/09

Ottmar Freudenberger;4369340 Wrote:
> KB056572 is a kernel update and ever since these are released for
> Windows XP, MS doesn't get those to install correctly as soon as it's
> an
> OEM system (with OEM drivers installed) on which these kind of updates
> should be installed on.
>
> To get these updates fpr Windows XP installed properly on these
> systems,
> you'll need to download the update from DownloadCenter:
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=73d2324f-be59-4b0c-b1ac-9876a13c2c03
> *save* the file into a folder and execute the EXE with the parameter
> "/o"
> (like "/overwriteoem") afterwards.
>
> Let's assume you've downloaded the english version of KB956572 into a
> folder "Downloads" which is located on your C: drive. Then enter the
> following *including* all blanks and quote signs into "Run" in the
> Start
> menu and hit [Enter] or click on OK afterwards:
>
> "C:\Downloads\WindowsXP-KB956572-x86-ENU.exe" /o
>
> After rebooting Windows, the update shouldn't be reoffered by WU/AU
> once
> again.

Also my remedy!

Thanks Ottmar!