RE: Software Distribution Service 3.0

Eddie Bowers [MSFT]

Feb 11, 2008, 7:03:31 PM2/11/08
Are you prompted to install "Software Distribution Service 3.0"?
Thats not something coming from windowsupdate. There is nothing called that
in the update catalog.

Eddie Bowers
Security Support
Microsoft Corporation

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Feb 12, 2008, 11:49:07 AM2/12/08
CrystallBall© sez:

Error message after you install a Windows Internet Explorer 7 update from
Windows Update or from Microsoft Update: "Webpage cannot be displayed":
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/942818

If tweaking your third-party firewall's settings don't help, try the
following:

1. Disable your anti-virus application, any real-time protection provided by
an anti-spyware application (except for Windows Defender; includes Spybot
Tea Timer, SpySweeper Guards, AVG AS guard.exe, etc.), disable any
third-party firewall AND enable the Windows Firewall.

browsing; reading email; chatting) except #4 below until your anti-virus
application has been re-enabled! If you're running ZA Free firewall, you
may need to uninstall it instead of disabling it.

2. Uninstall "Security Update for Windows Internet Explorer 7 (KB942615)"
via Add/Remove Programs (make sure Show Updates box is checked at top right)
and reboot.

3. Re-do #1 above.

4. Go to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com and install any Critical Updates
offered. If "Root Certificates" update is listed in the Optional Updates
category, you might install it, too, to take full advantage of IE7's
additional security.

5. Reboot > Make sure everything in #1 above is enabled again and, if
applicable, disable the Windows Firewall and enable your third-party
firewall.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net

ashley wrote:
> When my computer updates with Software Distribtion Service 3.0 I am no
> longer able to connect to the internet. The internet says it is connected
> but pages will not load. I don't know what to do to fix this problem. I
> have to system restore to be able to connect to the internet again, and
> then everything works fine until it downloads the Software Distribution
> Service 3.0 and things do not work again. Can anyone help me?

Eddie Bowers [MSFT]

Feb 12, 2008, 8:12:54 PM2/12/08
With automatic updates disabled, do you get offered something called
"Software Distribution Service" when you go to windowsupdate?

michele2007

Feb 14, 2008, 10:57:50 AM2/14/08

ashley;8213526 Wrote:
> When my computer updates with Software Distribtion Service 3.0 I am no
> longer
> able to connect to the internet. The internet says it is connected but
> pages
> will not load. I don't know what to do to fix this problem. I have to
> system
> restore to be able to connect to the internet again, and then
> everything
> works fine until it downloads the Software Distribution Service 3.0
> and
> things do not work again. Can anyone help me?

I am also having the same problem. Even if you Restore it just
installs my four updates again when I log off even though I have Windows
Update turned off now. This morning all I got was 1 screen and then a
blank screen and no Windows bootup. I rebooted and hit F2 (Setup) and
selected Default Settings for the hard drive. Then it booted.
Everything seems okay for now. I don't use Windows Explorer (I use
Avant Browser) so am not experiencing some of the problems others are
experiencing that I see when I do a Google search of Software
Distribution Service 3.0 problems. I don't know that much about inner
workings of the computer. Can someone please tell me if I should remove
any of these which are found in my Add/Remove Programs to get rid of
these latest updates. I just don't know where they are at:
MSXML 4.0 SP2 (KB927978)
MSXML 4.0 SP2 (KB936181)
Windows Installer 3.1 (KB893803)
Windows Internet Explorer 7
Windows XP Service Pack 2

That is all I see in there related to Windows. Thanks in advance.

--
michele2007

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Feb 14, 2008, 2:06:26 PM2/14/08
Update, or by using Automatic Updates after you repair a Windows XP
installation:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

michele2007 wrote:
<snip>

and Fran@discussions.microsoft.com Ken and Fran

Feb 16, 2008, 6:12:00 PM2/16/08

"ashley" wrote:

> When my computer updates with Software Distribtion Service 3.0 I am no longer
> able to connect to the internet. The internet says it is connected but pages
> will not load. I don't know what to do to fix this problem. I have to system
> restore to be able to connect to the internet again, and then everything
> works fine until it downloads the Software Distribution Service 3.0 and
> things do not work again. Can anyone help me?

I am having this exact same problem with my wireless laptop. This appears
to be a Windows Update. We have automatic updates on and when I went to turn
my computer off on Feb. 12, it prompted up that the important updates would
install. Just like all other system updates, it does a checkpoint in the
restore and the updates install.

When we turned on the computer the next day, IE does not work on my wireless
laptop computer.

When I did a restore back to the checkpoint BEFORE the Windows Update was
applied, IE works.

Upon digging a little deeper, we noted that the files that system restore
made a duplicate copy was were as follows:

advpack.dll
occache.dll
url.dll
urlmon.dll
wininet.dll

Once these were restored back to the original state BEFORE the Software
Distribution Service 3.0 update, we worked fine. I think this is a bug
within the MS update - but I am not 100% sure. But is sure looks like this
update is not good.

Please - we would appreciate any insight into this update. Until we can get
it to work, we are not applying it.

Lee Antony

Feb 17, 2008, 4:21:14 PM2/17/08
My XP Pro has never had any update called Software Distribution Service 3.0
or any other version number. Are you sure this is a legit MS update?

"Ken and Fran" <Ken and Fr...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Ken and Fran

Feb 18, 2008, 11:36:02 AM2/18/08

"Lee Antony" wrote:

> My XP Pro has never had any update called Software Distribution Service 3.0
> or any other version number. Are you sure this is a legit MS update?
>
> "Ken and Fran" <Ken and Fr...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Hi Lee

Upon further research, we were able to find out that MS calls the MS Update
service, "Software Distribution Service". They used to have a 2.0, now it is
3.0. THey came out with the update about 3 months ago.

The securitry update itself is NOT an update to the "software Distribution
serive", so we kinda misspoke. The SDS is a generic name used by them to
distribute the updates via MS Update.

Now, that all being said - their latest security updates for February (of
which there are about 10), one of them is updating the files we mentioned -
and upon doing the update, we cannot access the Internet via our wireless
laptop.

While our communication with MS have been limited, we believe their answer
is to de-intall the secrutiy software/firewall software you own, install the
MS Security updates, and then re-install your security software/firewall.
They say, the error is occurring because the security software does not have
their latest updates and it denies you access to the Internet.

This is the first time this has happen to us - all other MS Security updates
have been fine. I do not believe we should be subject to de-installing
security software to then install MS updates. We use TREND MICRO as our
security software.

Hope this information answers your question.

Lee Antony

Feb 18, 2008, 7:14:26 PM2/18/08
I believe the security updates for February included one for Internet
Explorer. This may have made changes to iexplorer.exe. If Trend Micro was
not aware of this change (i.e. it was not fully updated) it could be
silently blocking IE. In another newsgroup Don Varnau and others offer this
advice:

You may have a third-party firewall which is preventing updated files (such
as iexplore.exe) from accessing the internet, but isn't notifying you of the
block.

942818- Error message after you install a Windows IE7 update:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/942818

I'm still puzzled by why you got an update to Software Distribution Service
because there doesn't seem to be such an MS update but I know very little
anyway so could be quite wrong.

"Ken and Fran" <Kenan...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Feb 18, 2008, 7:59:42 PM2/18/08
Ken and Fran wrote:
<snip>

CrystalBall© sez:

Error message after you install a Windows Internet Explorer 7 update from
Windows Update or from Microsoft Update: "Webpage cannot be displayed":
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/942818

If tweaking your third-party firewall's settings don't help, try the
following:

1. Disable your anti-virus application, any real-time protection provided by
an anti-spyware application (except for Windows Defender; includes Spybot
Tea Timer, SpySweeper Guards, AVG AS guard.exe, etc.), disable any
third-party firewall AND enable the Windows Firewall.

browsing; reading email; chatting) except #4 below until your anti-virus
application has been re-enabled! If you're running ZA Free firewall, you
may need to uninstall it instead of disabling it.

2. Uninstall "Security Update for Windows Internet Explorer 7 (KB944533)"

via Add/Remove Programs (make sure Show Updates box is checked at top right)
and reboot.

3. Re-do #1 above.

4. Go to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com and install any Critical Updates
offered. If "Root Certificates" update is listed in the Optional Updates
category, you might install it, too, to take full advantage of IE7's
additional security.

5. Reboot > Make sure everything in #1 above is enabled again and, if
applicable, disable the Windows Firewall and enable your third-party
firewall.

Ken and Fran

Feb 19, 2008, 10:23:00 PM2/19/08

PA Bear - Thanks for the notes. We will give those a try to see if it
works.

As an aside, FYI, the two offending updates that are causing a problem are:

KB946026 and
KB943055

When these two updates are removed, and/or if we do a restore before they
are applied - we can access the internet with IE via the wireless laptop.
Once they are applied, the connectivity goes away.

Other info - our main "server" machine has the updates applied and works
fine. Both machines are running the TREND MICRO internet security latest
version with latest updates applied.

Ken and Fran

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Feb 19, 2008, 11:06:47 PM2/19/08
>> CrystalBall© sez:
>>
>> Error message after you install a Windows Internet Explorer 7 update from
>> Windows Update or from Microsoft Update: "Webpage cannot be displayed":
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/942818
> <snip>

> PA Bear - Thanks for the notes. We will give those a try to see if it
> works.
>
> As an aside, FYI, the two offending updates that are causing a problem
> are:
>
> KB946026 and
> KB943055
<snip>

Then KB942818 is NOT your fix! ...in which case, you'd be best to...

Support for Windows Update:

to a Security Update and cite the update's KB number (e.g., KB123456).

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

AumHa VSOP & Admin; DTS-L.net

Ken and Fran

Feb 20, 2008, 9:57:01 AM2/20/08

"> Then KB942818 is NOT your fix! ...in which case, you'd be best to...

> https://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?gprid=6527
>
> Support for Windows Update:

> security updates. When you call, clearly state that your problem is related
> to a Security Update and cite the update's KB number (e.g., KB123456).
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin; DTS-L.net

PA Bear - Thanks again. You are correct. We called the PC Security number
you referenced above. They acknowledged that for some reason, the updates
provided in KB946026 and KB943055 were not compatible with our network for
now.

I was able to do a system restore back to last week when the updates were
not applied - and - system restore gave us a list of files that were changed
due to the updates. I think I have listed them before. Once those files are
restored- IE connection on the wireless laptop is obtained.

Interestingly, we have two other PCs on the network, both desktops, and the
problem KB's are both applied with no issue.

The Security Center is aware of this issue - and they have told me they
believe the next set of updates hopefully will fix the issue. Thanks again,

Ken and Fran

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Feb 20, 2008, 8:08:48 PM2/20/08
Ken and Fran wrote:
>> <snip>
>> Then KB942818 is NOT your fix! ...in which case, you'd be best to...

>> https://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?gprid=6527
>>
>> Support for Windows Update:

>> in
>> with
>> security updates. When you call, clearly state that your problem is
>> related to a Security Update and cite the update's KB number (e.g.,
>> KB123456).
>
> PA Bear - Thanks again. You are correct. We called the PC Security
> number
> you referenced above. They acknowledged that for some reason, the updates
> provided in KB946026 and KB943055 were not compatible with our network for
> now.
>
> I was able to do a system restore back to last week when the updates were
> not applied - and - system restore gave us a list of files that were
> changed
> due to the updates. I think I have listed them before. Once those files
> are restored- IE connection on the wireless laptop is obtained.
>
> Interestingly, we have two other PCs on the network, both desktops, and
> the
> problem KB's are both applied with no issue.
>
> The Security Center is aware of this issue - and they have told me they
> believe the next set of updates hopefully will fix the issue. Thanks
> again,
>
> Ken and Fran

YW & thanks for your feedback.

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

ICEAGE

Jul 10, 2008, 12:26:01 PM7/10/08
I have the same problem. I have AT&T FastAccess DSL with windows xp home. I
contacted their tech support and they said it wasn't compatible with their
system.

A simple Windows restore and turning off automatic updates works for me, but
its annoying that I can't have auto updates on.

At first I was annoyed at my ISP, but then after doing a bit of googling it
appears that a lot of people are having problems with 'Software Distribution
Service 3.0'.

I hope someone can find away around this issue.

Hinton@discussions.microsoft.com Bob Hinton

Jul 10, 2008, 2:20:05 PM7/10/08
I'm having the same thing with "Software Distribution Services 3.0", and
zonealarm says the MS Windows Software tool (KB890830) is trying to launch.
When it dose and re-boots I have no access to the internet. I have to go back
to systen restore to deleat it. Then after reboot I have access to the
internet. If this is not from MS then somebody went to a lot of time to make
it work like it was. Guess the only thing to do now is to shut off auto
update for ever now.

Bob Hinton

Harry Johnston [MVP]

Jul 10, 2008, 5:00:50 PM7/10/08
Bob Hinton wrote:

> I'm having the same thing with "Software Distribution Services 3.0", and
> zonealarm says the MS Windows Software tool (KB890830) is trying to launch.

Perhaps this is the known issue with zonealarm when the latest security updates
are installed. Try turning Windows Firewall on and removing ZoneAlarm, see if
the problem goes away.

Harry.

A@discussions.microsoft.com Murray A

Jul 10, 2008, 8:12:05 PM7/10/08
Hi all,
I am also having problems after installing the above update.
I see it has been said," That’s not something coming from windows update.
There is nothing called that in the update catalogue." From Eddie Bowers
Security Support Microsoft Corporation.
However, I've rung Microsoft New Zealand and they confirm that it is a
Microsoft update and it has issues with Zone Alarm. They say that, they and
Zone Alarm are working towards a fix.
I have restored my system, not in safe mode, to just before the above update
took place and immobilised Windows automatic up date until this problem is
fixed.
Hope this helps.

Harry Johnston [MVP]

Jul 10, 2008, 10:54:08 PM7/10/08
Murray A wrote:

> I am also having problems after installing the above update.
> I see it has been said," That’s not something coming from windows update.
> There is nothing called that in the update catalogue." From Eddie Bowers
> Security Support Microsoft Corporation.
> However, I've rung Microsoft New Zealand and they confirm that it is a
> Microsoft update and it has issues with Zone Alarm.

Are you talking about KB951748? This is a security update which Zone Alarm
chokes on - ZA have released a fixed version, by the way - but it isn't called
"Software Distribution Service 3.0". Where did you see this string appear?

Harry.

Murray A

Jul 11, 2008, 12:50:01 AM7/11/08

Hi Bob,
I don't seem to have the up date you show, however, I do have the one that
seems to be giving the same problem you are experiencing. I rang Microsoft
and they say it is a problem between the up date and Zone Alarm. If you go
onto the Zona Alarm site, they suggest a couple of fixes. Their new up date
fixed my problem. I didn't do options one or two.

Workaround to Sudden Loss of Internet Access Problem
Date Published : 8 July 2008
Date Last Revised : 9 July 2008
Overview : Microsoft Update KB951748 is known to cause loss of internet
access for ZoneAlarm users on Windows XP/2000. Windows Vista users are not
affected.
Impact : Sudden loss of internet access
Platforms Affected : ZoneAlarm Free, ZoneAlarm Pro, ZoneAlarm AntiVirus,
ZoneAlarm Anti-Spyware, and ZoneAlarm Security Suite

Recommended Actions -
Download and install the latest versions which solve the loss of internet
access problem here (English only):
• ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite
• ZoneAlarm Pro
• ZoneAlarm Antivirus
• ZoneAlarm Anti-Spyware
• ZoneAlarm Basic Firewall
- or follow the directions below.
Option 1: Move Internet Zone slider to Medium
1. Navigate to the "ZoneAlarm Firewall" panel
2. Click on the "Firewall" tab
3. Move the "Internet Zone" slider to medium
Option 2: Uninstall the hotfix
1. Click the "Start Menu"
2. Click "Control Panel", or click "Settings" then "Control Panel"
3. Click on "Add or Remove Programs"
4. On the top of the add/remove programs dialog box, you should see a
checkbox that says "show updates". Select this checkbox
5. Scroll down until you see "Security update for Windows (KB951748)"
6. Click "Remove" to uninstall the hotfix

"Bob Hinton" wrote:

> I'm having the same thing with "Software Distribution Services 3.0", and
> zonealarm says the MS Windows Software tool (KB890830) is trying to launch.
> When it dose and re-boots I have no access to the internet. I have to go back
> to systen restore to deleat it. Then after reboot I have access to the
> internet. If this is not from MS then somebody went to a lot of time to make
> it work like it was. Guess the only thing to do now is to shut off auto
> update for ever now.

Hope this helps,
Murray.

amac2

Jul 11, 2008, 1:45:01 AM7/11/08
Thanks Harry

I do have Zone Alarm and I too have disabled updates until I hear of a fix.

Regards

amac2

Jul 11, 2008, 2:02:00 AM7/11/08
Harry

I believe I generated this question. It was my first ever post and it is
kind of freaky to see it disappear - why is that?

Diem@discussions.microsoft.com Carpe Diem

Jul 11, 2008, 6:07:02 AM7/11/08
I don't have zone alarm installed and it won't let me send email it wants me
to create a profile in microsoft office outlook ?????? I have all my mail
coming into outlook express so I have profiles set there but its not
recognising these. so I have had to turn off the updates and roll back and
yup my pc works fine now !!!

Its down to this update so why wont microsoft accept responsibility and tell
us how to delete the darn thing instead of saying its this and that ie
passing the buck !!!

I can't even see the thing in my list in add remove programs so totally

SB40+

Jul 11, 2008, 2:49:03 PM7/11/08
On Jul 11, 12:07 pm, Carpe Diem <Carpe D...@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

Just had a rash of the same on my 2 identical laptops. One lost
Internet connectivity, the other one did not power down correctly.
The one with connectivity problems could be rolled back to an earlier
date, then KB951748 was uninstalled - I also searched for the name,
and deleted all files and folders with KB951748 in the name. Works
like a charm so far.
The other one could not be rolled back - it has lot's of restore
points, but they don't work. So I just uninstalled KB951748 and it
seems to work so far.

SB40+

SB40+

Jul 11, 2008, 2:57:16 PM7/11/08

By the way - the same files with KB951748 in the names could not be
removed from the latter laptop. I don't know why, but a prompt says
that the media can't be read when I try. Maybe they disappeared when I
uninstalled the update, but somehow still is visible.

SB40+

Harry Johnston [MVP]

Jul 14, 2008, 5:58:45 PM7/14/08
SB40+ wrote:

> Just had a rash of the same on my 2 identical laptops. One lost
> Internet connectivity, the other one did not power down correctly.

Doesn't sound like the same thing. Please start a new thread about your issues.

Harry.

Harry Johnston [MVP]

Jul 14, 2008, 6:02:01 PM7/14/08
amac2 wrote:

> I do have Zone Alarm and I too have disabled updates until I hear of a fix.

It's already been fixed. Go to Zone Alarm's web site to get the latest version
or update. (The Microsoft update itself does not need to be fixed; the fault
was in Zone Alarm.)

Harry.

Harry Johnston [MVP]

Jul 14, 2008, 6:00:42 PM7/14/08
Carpe Diem wrote:

> I don't have zone alarm installed and it won't let me send email it wants me
> to create a profile in microsoft office outlook ?????? I have all my mail
> coming into outlook express so I have profiles set there but its not
> recognising these. so I have had to turn off the updates and roll back and
> yup my pc works fine now !!!

Install the updates one-by-one to see which (if any) is interfering with Outlook.

Cross-posted to microsoft.public.outlook as they may be better able to assist
with this issue.

Harry.

Harry Johnston [MVP]

Jul 14, 2008, 6:02:58 PM7/14/08
amac2 wrote:

> I believe I generated this question. It was my first ever post and it is
> kind of freaky to see it disappear - why is that?

News servers don't usually keep newsgroup posts forever. How long ago was this?
You may still be able to find it in Google Groups, which keeps archives.

Harry.

Hal Hostetler [MVP P/I]

Jul 15, 2008, 6:21:12 PM7/15/08
If you have Office and/or Outlook installed, every Office/Outlook update you
receive from Windows Update (or Microsoft Update or Office Update) will
reset Outlook as the default email client. If you normally use Outlook
Express, you'll need to go into 'Internet Options|Programs' and reset OE as
your default. You will have to do this again every time there is an update
to Office/Outlook applied to your PC.

Hal
--
Hal Hostetler, CPBE -- h...@kvoa.com
Live at Hot Licks - www.badnewsbluesband.com

"Harry Johnston [MVP]" <ha...@scms.waikato.ac.nz> wrote in message

amac2

Jul 19, 2008, 7:15:01 AM7/19/08
Sorry Harry, haven't been back to forum until now. Actually, I posted
message same day, 10th July.

No matter, it seems the big boys sorted themselves out and I can now happily
continue to recieve automatic updates.

Thanks for the interest tho.

Regards

ItHelpGuy

Sep 26, 2008, 3:50:00 AM9/26/08
Ok i researched This pretty thoroughly and finally found what was happening
with the

Software Distribution Service 3.0

1st when the Microsoft Rep said it was not a microsoft issue he was Wrong.
This is a microsoft Software Distribution

Im sure in many cases it is related to various microsoft products that are
not part of the Core Automatic updates, so disabling or manually enabling
these will do nothing.

If you really want to find out exactly what update it is do what i did

Go to Run and copy this

%windir%\softwaredistribution\reportingevents.log

Then click ok

It will pull up a log of events. Now Go to Start / Accessories / System
Restore

Click through the dates until you find the last time that Software
Distribution Service 3.0 installed

Now cross reference that date and exact time with the log.

You will have to do quite a bit of scrolling.

I found out exactly what update was causing the Software Distribution
Service 3.0 to show up on my system restore logs.

It was WINDOWS DEFENDER adding new definitions to the spyware protection

It might be the same for you it might be different but its a sure fire way
to figure out exactly whats causing the SOFTWARE DISTRIBUTION SERVICE 3.0 to
auto update without your permission

And about the internet explorer or other internet connection acting up.
This is going to cause errors in bringing up pages etc because it usually
downloads around 2 am (for defender at least) check the system restore log to
find out what time yours is downloading. You may be able to change this in
the advanced settings feature of Defender or whatever program is causing
SOFTWARE DISTRIBUTION SERVICE 3.0 to run. If you happen to be on within an
hour or 2 from when it began downloading your going to have slow or NO
CONNECTIVITY.

Also for the impatient people or those who randomly tried to delete or turn
off updates, that is why you are getting an UNSTABLE Environment.

Hope this helps everyone. Can we get a Sticky on this so everyone with the
same question will get the CORRECT ANSWER.

"michele2007" wrote:

> ashley;8213526 Wrote:
> > When my computer updates with Software Distribtion Service 3.0 I am no
> > longer
> > able to connect to the internet. The internet says it is connected but
> > pages
> > will not load. I don't know what to do to fix this problem. I have to
> > system
> > restore to be able to connect to the internet again, and then
> > everything
> > works fine until it downloads the Software Distribution Service 3.0
> > and
> > things do not work again. Can anyone help me?
>

> I am also having the same problem. Even if you Restore it just
> installs my four updates again when I log off even though I have Windows
> Update turned off now. This morning all I got was 1 screen and then a
> blank screen and no Windows bootup. I rebooted and hit F2 (Setup) and
> selected Default Settings for the hard drive. Then it booted.
> Everything seems okay for now. I don't use Windows Explorer (I use
> Avant Browser) so am not experiencing some of the problems others are
> experiencing that I see when I do a Google search of Software
> Distribution Service 3.0 problems. I don't know that much about inner
> workings of the computer. Can someone please tell me if I should remove
> any of these which are found in my Add/Remove Programs to get rid of
> these latest updates. I just don't know where they are at:
> MSXML 4.0 SP2 (KB927978)
> MSXML 4.0 SP2 (KB936181)
> Windows Installer 3.1 (KB893803)
> Windows Internet Explorer 7
> Windows XP Service Pack 2
>
> That is all I see in there related to Windows. Thanks in advance.
>

> --
> michele2007

MowGreen [MVP]

Sep 26, 2008, 3:15:26 PM9/26/08
ItHelpGuy wrought:

> You may be able to change this in the advanced settings feature of Defender or whatever program is
> causing SOFTWARE DISTRIBUTION SERVICE 3.0 to run.

The restore points entitled Software Distribution Service 3.0 are
created whenever an automatic update is installed so that the system can
be rolled back to the point just before the update installed in case
there is an issue with said update.
There's really no great mystery as to their origin.

The installation of updates is, by Default, at 3 AM. One can always
change the installation setting from within Control Panel > Automatic
Updates [WinXP/Win2K/WS2K03] or, Windows Updates [Vista/WS2008].

>> It might be the same for you it might be different but its a sure fire way
>> to figure out exactly whats causing the SOFTWARE DISTRIBUTION SERVICE 3.0 to
>> auto update without your permission

Sorry, if WU|AU is set to automatically install updates than you've
already *given* Permission for updates to install.

One can change this behavior if desired:
How to configure and use Automatic Updates in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306525

Using Windows Update in Windows Vista
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/downloads/windowsupdate/learn/windowsvista.mspx

No sticky for you ! <w>

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Sep 26, 2008, 3:54:30 PM9/26/08
<guffaw>

MowGreen [MVP] wrote:
<snip>

mivan

Dec 13, 2008, 10:30:01 PM12/13/08

mivan

Dec 13, 2008, 10:33:01 PM12/13/08

"mivan" wrote:

I have found that it is a Microsoft distribution
I had the same problem That software update completes after a full reboot
and not just a restart so whatever it does is at the root level before
windows even loads. Regardless what worked for me was I booted from my last
Known good configuration - you get there by toggling one of your f keys at
your initial boot screen (f8, f10 and f12 are common but it could be another
one) After everything loaded I went to Microsoft's web site checked for
security updates It listed that I needed to update Internet Explorer 7 so I
did after that everything worked fine. Before every time I powered down I had
to go to my last Known good configuration to get logged back in (otherwise my
screen would freeze right after the xp loading screen with the blinking blue
dashes). Updating to IE 7 fixed that.

ben

Jan 22, 2009, 12:18:01 AM1/22/09
Can someone please help with the Software Distribution Service 3. I have a
sony laptop using Norton internet security. I seem to have picked up a
similiar problem to a lot of other people. I cannot access the internet at
all. I cannot system restore, my computer will not let me. I have tried a few
suggestions, removing files but nothing seems to work.

I see this problem started a while ago so i am hoping someone has a fix for
me.

Thanks in advance Ben

"ashley" wrote:

> no, I am not prompted to install it, it just installs on its own. Since I
> disabled windows update, I have not had the problem- so I think it must be
> windows update related. What else would it be?

Freeman

Apr 30, 2009, 2:20:19 PM4/30/09

ron

Jun 11, 2009, 10:35:05 AM6/11/09
I found this same Software Distribution Service 3.0 in my software restore
points. I didn't knowingly download it. If it's not coming from microsoft,
somethings making it look like it is. Any ideas how to stop it from
downloading?

MowGreen

Jun 11, 2009, 5:01:19 PM6/11/09
ALL restore points in XP that are created when updates install are named
Software Distribution 3.0.
What Eddie was referring to is the NAME of the update, which begin with
KB______, not the name of the *restore point* it creates.

MowGreen
================

*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

Frank

Oct 27, 2009, 1:31:02 PM10/27/09

Frank

Oct 27, 2009, 1:41:01 PM10/27/09

"Eddie Bowers [MSFT]" wrote:

> With automatic updates disabled, do you get offered something called
> "Software Distribution Service" when you go to windowsupdate?

Frank

Oct 27, 2009, 2:04:03 PM10/27/09

"ben" wrote:

Hi all.

I have had the same problem and I think I've solved it by reading all your
posts, so this is what I did.

Go to Control Panel

Internet Properties

Up your security rating to Restricted Sites.

Click on the up-down arrow and you will find: windowsspywaredefender.com.

Microsoft wouldn’t put this in there if it was theirs, so it seems that
somewhere on your computer you have installed “windowsspywaredefender” which
isn’t a Microsoft program but is spyware, I think!?

Find it and delete it which is what I did.

I also found a very old Zone Alarm dll and deleted it.

Turn off Automatic Updates in Control Panel

When you want to update your system click on Start then on Windows Update.

Since doing this I haven’t had that problem again with Software Distribution
Service3.0 downloading and installing.

I also don't use Microsoft Outlook so don't can't answer for that one.

Thanks for all your comments and tips.

Frank

Oct 27, 2009, 3:54:01 PM10/27/09

> Hi Harry and others.

I posted my original "answer above out of date order and so have put it down
here again.

Sorry about that but here we go anyway.

RaulM

Jan 19, 2010, 2:39:01 PM1/19/10

"Ken and Fran" wrote:

> "ashley" wrote:
>
> > When my computer updates with Software Distribtion Service 3.0 I am no longer
> > able to connect to the internet. The internet says it is connected but pages
> > will not load. I don't know what to do to fix this problem. I have to system
> > restore to be able to connect to the internet again, and then everything
> > works fine until it downloads the Software Distribution Service 3.0 and
> > things do not work again. Can anyone help me?
> >

> I am having this exact same problem with my wireless laptop. This appears
> to be a Windows Update. We have automatic updates on and when I went to turn
> my computer off on Feb. 12, it prompted up that the important updates would
> install. Just like all other system updates, it does a checkpoint in the
> restore and the updates install.
>
> When we turned on the computer the next day, IE does not work on my wireless
> laptop computer.
>
> When I did a restore back to the checkpoint BEFORE the Windows Update was
> applied, IE works.
>
> Upon digging a little deeper, we noted that the files that system restore
> made a duplicate copy was were as follows:
>
> advpack.dll
> occache.dll
> url.dll
> urlmon.dll
> wininet.dll
>
> Once these were restored back to the original state BEFORE the Software
> Distribution Service 3.0 update, we worked fine. I think this is a bug
> within the MS update - but I am not 100% sure. But is sure looks like this
> update is not good.
>
> Please - we would appreciate any insight into this update. Until we can get
> it to work, we are not applying it.

RaulM

Jan 19, 2010, 2:55:01 PM1/19/10
My problem is a bit different than those shown here. I reecently installed an
HP laserjet printer on my home network and got confirmation wirth a test
page. Then, a few days later, when I tried using it, realized that had lsot
the connection with the printer.
Thinking it was just a bad installation( using the printer's cd), I removed
it and reinstalled it. The network is really simple - just a wireless router,
a printer and two computers.
As I finished the last installation last Saturday, I was able to print
several times from either pc. Then, yesterday when I tried it again, it did
not work.

Went to System Restore and saw that almost every day for the last three
months, Service Distribution Service 3.0 shows up, with the last one one day
after I did get my prints.

I do get internet connections and to my Hotmail email but ,is it possible
that this SDS is somehow disabling my network connection to my printer??

I looked at my Internet Options/ Properties as suggested and did not see
the "windowsspywaredefender.com" .

I do have the automatic Windows update activated ( Windows XP Pro)and I'm
wondering if I should disable it before I go thru another installation of the
printer or if there may be something else affecting it ?/
Would appreciate comments and please elaborate on what I may nned to do in
detail as I 'm just learning about pcs.

RaulM

Jan 20, 2010, 8:46:01 PM1/20/10
I used an HP LaserJet printer for about 10 months connected to my Dell ( XP
Pro) with ethernet cbl. Last month decided to connect it to my home network
thru my LynkSys router ( wire & wireless) so I could also use it with an
Acer netbook ( Windows 7).

I installed it and got a test page from both computers. Then, I did not
print for a few days and when I tried, it did not from either one. Thinking
it was just a bad installation, removed it and reinstall it, also getting
test pages. I also printed several documents from both without any problem
that day. The next day, when I tried it, it would not print nor could I get a
test page so I had lost the connectivity to the printer.

I access the internet thru the network/router which works fine. To make
sure it was not the cable, got a new ethernet cable for the printer and tried
it connected to all four cable connection positions of the router, none
working.

I looked Internet Properties and I don't have : windowspyware defender.

I went to System Recovery and tried restoring it the day of the last
installation and it would not. Then, selected one, two and three days before
and again was not able. I did noticed that almost every day for the last few
months, there was a Software Distribution Service 3.0, so I'm wondering if
that in itself is impacting the printer.

A while ago, after reading some comments on the net about Software Dist
Service and folks losing internet connection, went ahead and changed/disabled
Auto Update, as you said. I also noticed that according to System Recov, it
ran today also, before I made the change.

I would appreciate your thoughts and comments and please elaborate in detail
as I 'm a novice learning. I just joined so I hope I was not too lenghty above

Harry Johnston [MVP]

Jan 20, 2010, 10:16:24 PM1/20/10
On 2010-01-21 2:46 p.m., RaulM wrote:

> I went to System Recovery and tried restoring it the day of the last
> installation and it would not. Then, selected one, two and three days before
> and again was not able. I did noticed that almost every day for the last few
> months, there was a Software Distribution Service 3.0, so I'm wondering if
> that in itself is impacting the printer.

I don't know about your printer problem, but Software Distribution Service 3.0
is just another name for Windows Update.

Harry.

--
"I wish that, just once, some terrorist would try something that you can only
foil by upgrading the passengers to first class and giving them free drinks."