IE crashes frequently on Windows 2000 after patch Tuesday

1 view

Shawn

Aug 9, 2006, 4:23:02 AM8/9/06
Hello all,

IE6 is crashing consistently after page loads on Windows 2000 Professional
after installing this months patch cycle and rebooting.

Just about every webpage I visit crashes IE just by hitting them. Those that
do not crash immediately will crash if I refresh the page a few times.

I can create a very simple page, refresh it twice in quick succession and it
will crash IE. Sometimes it only needs to be loaded once. Sometimes it will
crash all instances of IE instead of just the current window.

I've included a sample page below that crashes IE on Windows 2000. While I
could probably trim it down some more, I am currently using Terminal Services
and can't risk crashing it more than the previous dozen times I already have
tonight. Email me offlist if you need a clean copy of the sample html page.

I depend upon IE for my business, this is scary. Any ideas?

"http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">
<head>
<title>Title here</title>
</head>

<h1>text here</h1>

<h2>text here</h2>

text here text here text here text here text here text here text here
text here text here text here text here text here text here text here
text here text here text here text here text here text here text here
text here text here text here text here text here text here text here
text here text here text here text here text here text here text here </p>

text here text here text here text here text here text here text here
text here text here text here text here text here text here text here
text here text here text here text here text here text here text here
text here text here text here text here text here text here text here
text here text here text here text here text here text here text here </p>

text here text here text here text here text here text here text here
text here text here text here text here text here text here text here
text here text here text here text here text here text here text here
text here text here text here text here text here text here text here
text here text here text here text here text here text here text here </p>

<ul>
<li>text here</li>
<li>text here</li>
<li>text here</li>
<li>text here</li>
</ul>

text here text here text here text here text here text here text here
text here text here text here text here text here text here text here
text here text here text here text here text here text here text here
text here text here text here text here text here text here text here
text here text here text here text here text here text here text here

Weekly Geek@discussions.microsoft.com The Weekly Geek

Aug 9, 2006, 11:43:02 AM8/9/06
I just wanted to add that the same thing has happened here too.
Win 2k, IE6, all updates including most "optional" ones.
Newer PC, no nasties on the machine (complete scans have been run with AV,
Anti-Spy/Malware)
We are using Zone Alarm and it is bringing up some strange protection errors.

Kathleen Anderson [MVP - FrontPage]

Aug 10, 2006, 10:12:47 AM8/10/06
Shawn:
Can you try uninstalling MS06-042 (KB918899) and see if the problem goes
away?

--

~ Kathleen Anderson
Microsoft MVP - FrontPage

"Shawn" <Sh...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Shawn

Aug 10, 2006, 10:37:01 AM8/10/06
Hi Kathleen,

> Can you try uninstalling MS06-042 (KB918899) and see if the
> problem goes away?

Nope. I refuse to regress a security update when a workaround is available.

The workaround is to DISABLE http 1.1 settings under ie advanced settings.

Tools > internet options > advanced > http 1.1 settings > UNCHECK both
options, OK.

This works fine for me and only took about 2 hours of telephone time so far
to resolve. If he reads this, THANK YOU RAJIV!

I'll patiently wait for a patch for this problem secure in the knowledge
that I'm not reducing my security any by uninstalling a critical security
update.

Thanks,

Shawn

Mary

Aug 10, 2006, 11:36:02 AM8/10/06
Hi Shawn:
I have had the same problem with IE crashing on web sites after
installing update KB98899....I have also tried unchecking http1.1 but it
didn't help. There is no error # associated with this crash. The box pops up
and says that IE is is closing and do I want to send a report. When I uncheck
the box that asks if I want to restart IE it has no effect on the closure of
IE. Any other ideas? I'm not very computer literate but really need to fix
this problem as it affects my business operation.
Mary

Shawn

Aug 10, 2006, 11:48:02 AM8/10/06
Hi Mary,

> I have had the same problem with IE crashing on web sites after
> installing update KB98899....I have also tried unchecking http1.1 but it
> didn't help. There is no error # associated with this crash. The box pops up
> and says that IE is is closing and do I want to send a report. When I uncheck
> the box that asks if I want to restart IE it has no effect on the closure of
> IE. Any other ideas? I'm not very computer literate but really need to fix
> this problem as it affects my business operation.

If you have applications that use IE in the background, it's possible that
the setting did not wholly take effect. Try unchecking both http 1.1 settings
and then immediately rebooting. Close all applications before making the
change in order to minimize the number of applications that might be using
the IE as a browser host.

Other things that might interfere are things like the SBC 'connection
repair' toolkit, which assigns settings directly into the registry,
overriding preferences. If you have this application or other IE
self-diagnostic tools installed, consider removing them to see if that
alleviates the problem.

-Shawn

Kamel407

Aug 10, 2006, 12:41:03 PM8/10/06
We are experiencing the same issue, but with PeopleSoft. Cannot remove HTTP
1.1 as it causes other issues with Peoplesoft. Supposedly Peoplesoft and
Microsoft are working to resolve this as we speak.

Eric

Kathleen Anderson [MVP - FrontPage]

Aug 10, 2006, 1:03:58 PM8/10/06
We are also experiencing the same issue, with PeopleSoft. Uninstalling
MS06-042 appears to resolve the problem, for now. That's why I asked Shawn
if s/he would try that.

According to SANS, it's also a problem on Windows XP SP1 -
http://isc.sans.org/diary.php?storyid=1578

--

~ Kathleen Anderson
Microsoft MVP - FrontPage
Spider Web Woman Designs
web: http://www.spiderwebwoman.com/resources/
FrontPage Support: http://www.frontpagemvps.com/

"Kamel407" <Kame...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Kamel407

Aug 10, 2006, 1:20:04 PM8/10/06
Unfortunately, uninstalling 918899 causes new popups in the peoplesoft
application, however, those popups can be cancelled, and the users can work,
the same happens with unchecking http 1.1 so I'm weary of even using this as
a temporary work around.

Eric

Gary Flynn

Aug 11, 2006, 9:11:32 AM8/11/06
Kathleen Anderson [MVP - FrontPage] wrote:
> We are also experiencing the same issue, with PeopleSoft. Uninstalling
> MS06-042 appears to resolve the problem, for now. That's why I asked Shawn
> if s/he would try that.
>
> According to SANS, it's also a problem on Windows XP SP1 -
> http://isc.sans.org/diary.php?storyid=1578

the following solution was posted to a mailing list today:

In PIA, navigate to "PeopleTools -> Web Profile -> Web Profile
Configurations". Search for your webprofile. In the "General" tab,
uncheck the following: Compress Responses =
unchecked
Compress Response References = unchecked
Compress Query = unchecked [If you have PT8.44,
please ignore since Compress Query does exist in PT8.44]

Save your webprofile changes and you must bounce your PIA.

On a surface level, this kind of makes sense given that two
of the defect fixes were related to cross domain problems
when compression was involved.

--
Gary Flynn
Security Engineer

Kathleen Anderson [MVP - FrontPage]

Aug 11, 2006, 3:11:00 PM8/11/06
"Gary Flynn" <fly...@jmu.edu> wrote in message

> Kathleen Anderson [MVP - FrontPage] wrote:
>> We are also experiencing the same issue, with PeopleSoft. Uninstalling
>> MS06-042 appears to resolve the problem, for now. That's why I asked
>> Shawn if s/he would try that.
>>
>> According to SANS, it's also a problem on Windows XP SP1 -
>> http://isc.sans.org/diary.php?storyid=1578
>
> the following solution was posted to a mailing list today:
>
> In PIA, navigate to "PeopleTools -> Web Profile -> Web Profile
> Configurations". Search for your webprofile. In the "General" tab, uncheck
> the following: Compress Responses = unchecked
> Compress Response References = unchecked Compress Query = unchecked [If
> you have PT8.44, please ignore since Compress Query does exist in PT8.44]
> Save your webprofile changes and you must bounce your PIA.

This worked for us on a development server.

Kathleen Anderson [MVP - FrontPage]

Aug 11, 2006, 3:59:14 PM8/11/06
A hotfix has been released by Microsoft:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923762/en-us
Internet Explorer 6 Service Pack 1 unexpectedly exits after you install the
918899 update

--

~ Kathleen Anderson
Microsoft MVP - FrontPage
Spider Web Woman Designs
web: http://www.spiderwebwoman.com/resources/
FrontPage Support: http://www.frontpagemvps.com/

PA Bear

Aug 11, 2006, 4:05:32 PM8/11/06
TYVM!
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE, Shell/User, Security), Aumha.org VSOP, DTS-L.org

JasonLev

Aug 11, 2006, 5:37:02 PM8/11/06
We are also having many problem here using eMatrix applications. The browser
will crash erratically. Also there are problems using SharePoint services
v3. When you choose to "Modify the Shared Page" then choose "Design this
page" the explorer will crash.