XP SP3 Crashed My Computer

1 view

Ryan

Apr 21, 2008, 2:21:01 PM4/21/08
Upgraded XP to SP3 and it worked fine until reboot. I now are unable to get
into Windows and get the following message on blue screen...

STOP: c0000139 {Entry Point Not Found}
The procedure entry point GdiGetBitmapBitsSize cound not be located in the
dynamic link library GDI32.dll.

Thanks, RC

Shenan Stanley

Apr 21, 2008, 2:59:34 PM4/21/08

Did you get ahold of the final release somehow?

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Ryan

Apr 21, 2008, 3:13:01 PM4/21/08

Ridge Runner

Apr 21, 2008, 3:24:38 PM4/21/08
You did NOT upgrade to SP3 because it is not out yet.
What IS out is still BETA.

"Ryan" <Ry...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Shenan Stanley

Apr 21, 2008, 3:26:50 PM4/21/08

Ryan wrote:
> This is where I went. Selected the English version. Did I mess up?
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=114F3599-12AF-42B2-AAB1-B969A62C68A7&displaylang=en

Did you review the wqhole page and understand what you were getting before
you downloaded and installed it?

"Windows XP Service Pack 3 Release Candidate 2"
"It is recommended that you apply the resulting update package to an
activated, genuine copy of Windows XP, in a test environment. As with any
pre-release software, it is also recommended that you back up files and
settings on your machine before applying this update package."

Things to note in those quotes...
"Release Candidate" <- not completed, not final - candidate. This is
pre-release (beta) software.

"... in a test environment ..." <- even on this web page, Microsoft loosely
indicates what this is to be installed upon. If you installed it on a
production machine - that is your choice, but you take the responsibility of
possibly loosing everything without proper preparedness.

Did you mess up? I don't know - after reading the text from that page -
only you can tell us. ;-)

Ridge Runner

Apr 21, 2008, 3:25:54 PM4/21/08
Windows XP Service Pack 3 Release Candidate 2 Refresh

"Ryan" <Ry...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Shenan Stanley

Apr 21, 2008, 3:28:30 PM4/21/08
Ridge Runner wrote:
> You did NOT upgrade to SP3 because it is not out yet.
> What IS out is still BETA.

Technically - SP3 *has been* released to manufacturing.

I don't know how to get a copy of it - but that does not mean there is not a
way.

However - in general - you are correct - SP3 that is *easily* available for
download (as of writing this) is Release Candidate 2... Not the RTM
version.

mesmers

Apr 21, 2008, 4:39:22 PM4/21/08
I also am getting the same error
on my laptop (IBM thinkpad pent.3)
I couldn't install net framework 1.1
and tried all the fixes and then some under (solutions) posting
I tried it to see if it would help get past this problem
and now I can't even boot ( I haven't tried to start from boot discs yet
though )
any info would be appreciated
mesmers

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Apr 21, 2008, 4:39:14 PM4/21/08
Yep:

Windows XP Service Pack 3 Released to Manufacturing
<QP>
Today we are happy to announce that Windows XP Service Pack 3 (SP3) has
released to manufacturing (RTM). Windows XP SP3 bits are now working their
way through our manufacturing channels to be available to OEM and Enterprise
customers.

We are also in the final stages of preparing for release to the web (i.e.
you!) on April 29th, via Windows Update and the Microsoft Download Center.
Online documentation for Windows XP SP3, such as Microsoft Knowledge Base
articles and the Microsoft TechNet Windows XP TechCenter, will be updated
then. For customers who use Windows XP at home, Windows XP SP3 Automatic
Update distribution for users at home will begin in early summer.
</QP>
http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=3214173&SiteID=17
[17:04 UTC, 21 April 2008]
--
~PA Bear

Shenan Stanley

Apr 21, 2008, 4:45:18 PM4/21/08
mesmers wrote:
> I also am getting the same error
> on my laptop (IBM thinkpad pent.3)
> I couldn't install net framework 1.1
> and tried all the fixes and then some under (solutions) posting
> I tried it to see if it would help get past this problem
> and now I can't even boot ( I haven't tried to start from boot
> discs yet though )

Same error *with* SP3 (RC2 or otherwise) involved?

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Apr 21, 2008, 4:51:16 PM4/21/08
Do you have WinXP SP3 beta installed, too?

Mark

Apr 21, 2008, 7:36:46 PM4/21/08

"Ryan" <Ry...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Hmmm, gdi32.dll problem, sounds familiar ...
http://www.infoworld.com:80/article/08/04/14/Microsoft-patches-critical-Windows-bug-in-XP-SP3-early_1.html

Engel

Apr 21, 2008, 8:29:07 PM4/21/08
FYI

21 Apr 2008 5:04 PM

Chris Keroack [MSFT]

Windows XP Service Pack 3 Released to Manufacturing

Today we are happy to announce that Windows XP Service Pack 3 (SP3) has
released to manufacturing (RTM). Windows XP SP3 bits are now working their
way through our manufacturing channels to be available to OEM and Enterprise
customers.

We are also in the final stages of preparing for release to the web (i.e.
you!) on April 29th, via Windows Update and the Microsoft Download Center.
Online documentation for Windows XP SP3, such as Microsoft Knowledge Base
articles and the Microsoft TechNet Windows XP TechCenter, will be updated
then. For customers who use Windows XP at home, Windows XP SP3 Automatic
Update distribution for users at home will begin in early summer.

Thanks to everyone here who installed the public betas – you not only gave
us detailed feedback but also helped each other out with timely
troubleshooting. Through the beta program we found several important issues
and were able to confirm some essential fixes. We couldn’t have done this
without you.

We will still be monitoring this forum during the next few weeks in case you
have more feedback about the release of Windows XP SP3.

Versions for XP Embedded and Windows Fundamentals This will be available
within the next month.

On behalf of myself, Shashank Bansal and Windows Serviceability, many thanks.

Chris Keroack
Release Manager, Windows XP Service Pack 3
Windows Serviceability

Unqoute
- - ---

Ottmar Freudenberger

Apr 22, 2008, 12:41:12 AM4/22/08
"Ryan" <Ry...@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb:

That's based on a conflict between the anyway outdated RC2 build 3311 of SP3
and the gdi32.dll version on the system on which the RC2 build has been
installed on (cause KB948590 (MS08-021) installs a newer gdi32.dll version
than the one included in SP3 RC2 build 3311).

You may want to read the following thread in the SP3 forum to solve the
problem:
http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=3163197&SiteID=17

And yes, I recommend to not install any RC version of SP3 any longer since
SP3 RTMed yesterday and will be available in DownloadCenter and via Windows
Update on April 29th.

Bye,
Freudi

nick1983

Apr 22, 2008, 1:46:04 PM4/22/08
i have updated my machine in feb with xp sp3
now i cant update windows since then
when i tried removing sp3 it shows the list of progs installed after sp3 was
installed giving a warning that they might not work
pl help me know whether i shud un install sp3 so that the updating works; i
have about 50 mb of updating stuff then

thanks 4 d help in adv

Shenan Stanley

Apr 22, 2008, 1:54:17 PM4/22/08
nick1983 wrote:
> i have updated my machine in feb with xp sp3
> now i cant update windows since then
> when i tried removing sp3 it shows the list of progs installed
> after sp3 was installed giving a warning that they might not work
> pl help me know whether i shud un install sp3 so that the updating
> works; i have about 50 mb of updating stuff then

Uninstall SP3 Release Candidate 2 now.

Ignore (or answer OK to) all the warnings. You will need to get the release
candidate off to install the final release anyway.

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Apr 22, 2008, 2:15:10 PM4/22/08
Any/all support for WinXP SP3 Beta will be found in this forum only:
http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowForum.aspx?ForumID=2010&SiteID=17
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net

Singer@discussions.microsoft.com James Singer

Jun 18, 2008, 2:30:01 PM6/18/08
I got a cd of sp3 no problems so far it has been on for a month