Update hanging up checking for updates.

1 view

Dick

Aug 9, 2006, 6:15:26 PM8/9/06
When running Window update it hangs up during it's search for updates every
time I try it. The only way out is to power down. Task manager shows the cpu
usage at 100%. Any one know what's going on?

steviedee

Aug 9, 2006, 9:20:25 PM8/9/06
I'm having the same problem with the August updates. This never happened before.
It happens both with automatic updates, and by selecting Tools -> Windows Update
from the IE menu. My resources get so taxed I can't even pull up task manager or
restart, I literally have to unplug the computer! I'm running Windows xp sp2 and
have made no software or setting changes since the July updates. I finally
disabled automatic updates til MS acknowledges and fixes the problem.

"Dick" <Smo...@netscape.net> wrote in message

Tekno

Aug 10, 2006, 12:38:02 PM8/10/06
Yes ditto the same here whilst running the August Updates. Have now turned
off auto update and running the new Windows Live Safety Centre Scan with the
forlorn hope of fixing this annoyance. However I think it is a Microsoft
problem which I wish that they would prompty fix.

Tekno

Pat

Aug 13, 2006, 4:42:01 AM8/13/06
Same problem over here
Just reinstalled a xphome sp
Always a 100% CPU on svhost.exe --> the automatic update service
powerbutton is the only way out
--
Pat