Error message 80070490

Jake

Jun 19, 2007, 8:00:16 PM6/19/07
I'm getting the "Windows could not search for new updates" and
returned error code 80070490 in the window. I've tried restoring to a
previously-successful 'windows update' restore point but the problem
persists. There doesn't appear to be any reference in the Microsoft Knowledge
Base to this particular error code. Any ideas on the problem and how to
resolve it? Thanks.

Ian

PA Bear

Jun 19, 2007, 9:00:34 PM6/19/07
Windows version? IE version?
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
AumHa VSOP & Admin; DTS-L.org

PA Bear

Jun 19, 2007, 9:32:00 PM6/19/07

Jake

Jun 20, 2007, 12:13:00 AM6/20/07

Hi PA Bear,

I'm using Vista Business, Office 2007 and Firefox.

Re Engel's links to discussions on the problem, it seems to me that those
discussion relate to problems resulting from syncing mobile devices with
other devices rather than to stand-alone desktops - which is what I have.
Have I missed something? Regards,

Jake/Ian

TaurArian

Jun 20, 2007, 1:52:00 AM6/20/07
0x80070490 -2147023728 E PROP ID UNSUPPORTED Permission denied / [Problem
initializing or using session variables] or Element not found

Any other errors in the event viewer?

Jake

Jun 20, 2007, 2:37:00 AM6/20/07

Event viewer gave the following info:"Unable to Connect: Windows is unable
to connect to the automatic updates service and therefore cannot download and
install updates according to the set schedule. Windows will continue to try
to establish a connection."

Does this help?

TaurArian

Jun 20, 2007, 3:03:00 AM6/20/07
It gives a bit more of a clue but I don't have Vista.
Check your firewall settings. Perhaps someone else may be able to jump in
with some more ideas.

Jake

Jun 20, 2007, 6:23:01 AM6/20/07
TaurArian, thanks for your comments and assistance. Hopefully someone
familiar with Vista will have some ideas. Regards.

Darren Dheilly

Jun 20, 2007, 6:31:00 AM6/20/07

D.J .Dheilly
Send me your error message nuber at the top right hand corner of your scrren
after updates fail and your actualm problem with update to :
lepi...@shaw.ca and I wil give you the 3 possible fixes in an
attachment.... D.

PA Bear

Jun 20, 2007, 6:07:09 PM6/20/07
Open a free Support Incident, Jake.

Customers in the U.S. and Canada can receive technical support from
Microsoft Product Support Services at 1-866-PCSAFETY. There is no-charge for
support calls that are associated with security updates or using Automatic
Updates. When you call, clearly state that your problem is the inability to
reach and install updates via Automatic Updates in Vista. Tell them what
you see in Event Viewer.

In other countries, see http://support.microsoft.com/security > "No-Charge
Support...for virus and other security-related" issues in right-hand menu
for localized contact information.

For more information about how to contact Microsoft for support issues,
visit the International Support Web site:
https://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
AumHa VSOP & Admin; DTS-L.org

Jake

Jun 20, 2007, 9:48:40 PM6/20/07
PA Bear, thanks for the suggestions re contacting Microsoft support and the
associated contact details. I'll give them a call. I appreciate your advice.
Regards,

Ian

"Jake" wrote:

> Darren, thanks for your interest in the problem. The error number is
> '80070490'. That is the only info that shows up in the screen. As there are
> other folk out there who are having similar problems,I suggest that you post
> the solutions here so that others can get the benefit from your solutions
> rather than posting them only to me. Regards,
>
> Ian

Jake

Tyrant@discussions.microsoft.com Hive Tyrant

Jun 26, 2007, 1:13:00 AM6/26/07
I recently encountered this problem as well, and what the technician told me
to do was enter the services menu, and reset the following services in this
order: BITS (Background Intelligent Transfer Service) - Cryptographic
Services - Windows Update)

then restart your system. that worked for me once but it only worked until i
restarted my computer again. any other more permanent ideas would be greatly
appreciated, and i hope that these suggestions help somebody.

Jake

Jun 26, 2007, 2:09:00 AM6/26/07
The problem was eventually resolved by Microsoft Support via their free
service for update issues - thanks for that advice, PA Bear. In spite of
trying various 'fixes' with guidance from Microsoft, I ultimately had to
'upgrade' (not reinstall) Windows using the original Windows Vista disk. This
process takes much longer than a typical install - so long in fact that at
one stage I thought the system had frozen and that I'd have to do a complete
reinstall. Fortunately 'upgrade' eventually completed the various tasks and
all original data, other installed software and setting were preserved, so
'upgrading' was the better option - for me at least.

I hope this helps. Good luck.

AndyL

Jul 16, 2007, 4:32:19 PM7/16/07
I have also started to get this same error and I notice additionally that
when looking in 'add remove programs' - 'view installed updates' the list is
empty - the list in 'Review your update history' in Windows Update is
populated.
The last few updates listed (in Update History) are Windows Defender
updates, nothing apparently odd that perhaps I would might consider something
that might cause a problem.

This Vista Ultimate pc has been running for 6 or more months, IE7, Office
etc - pretty standard pc by anyones terms.

Restarting the services mentioned, in my case, does not remedy the problem
as it has with Hive Tyrant.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

With thanks, Andrew

Deano

Nov 21, 2007, 10:24:05 AM11/21/07
Jake and everyone.

I am having the same issue as well as an 8E5E0442 update code. I am running
Vista Ultimate 64-bit. I have tried just about everything...

Jake, as far as doing the Vista Upgrade upon trying to reload, did that
leave all of your data and programs intact? This is one of my first ventures
into Vista, let alone 64-bit, and I am weighing my options.

TIA!
Dean

off Vista user that wants Xp back@discussions.microsoft.com Pissed off Vista user that wants Xp back

Nov 23, 2007, 1:53:01 AM11/23/07
OMG WINDOWS SUCKS

I went to get tech support Via Email on Microsofts site and they dont
Recognise my Code Yet it is ORIGINAL and a Upgrade from HP/Compaq. Due to
this BS I need to phone them on EST time and I live in PST... This is BS...
My issue is the same as all of the others here with the Error 80070490 when I
go to update Windows Vista Home upgrade. I want Microsoft to Fix This or I
want a free DOWNGRADE of XP. sorry to sound mad as this issue is proventing
one of my online programs to access the internet and I cant play Wow now...
Thanks Microsoft....

Tommy9fingers

Dec 7, 2007, 1:57:00 AM12/7/07

Tommy9fingers

Dec 7, 2007, 2:02:00 AM12/7/07
I have the same problem and error code 80070490, spents hour on the phone
with Dell for my XPS system trying to resolve it. They were at a loss but did
try for about 2.5 hours trying different possible solutions. I will be
calling MS tommorrow has is prety late. If anybody has heard of any solutions
please let us know. Thanks!

MowGreen [MVP]

Dec 10, 2007, 4:11:05 PM12/10/07
80070490 Generic Unexpected error

*Possibly* due to corruption in the registry values
"PendingXmldentifier", "NextQueueEntryIndex", and
"AdvancedInstallersNeedResolving" under the registry key:

HKLM\Components

Suggest you check the above reg key and see if those are listed.
*PRIOR* to doing any registry editing, *BACK UP* those subkeys *FIRST*.

How to back up and restore the registry in Windows XP and Windows Vista
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756/

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

DellCA

Dec 13, 2007, 12:00:06 PM12/13/07

Tommy9fingers,

My name is Brad and I work at Dell headquarters in Round Rock, TX. Were
you able to get this resolved with the error that was coming up? Please
let me know if you have any further questions.

Brad
Dell Customer Advocate

--
DellCA

jzyao

Jan 3, 2008, 6:04:00 PM1/3/08
Would just like to know whether SP1 would solve this

3@discussions.microsoft.com Fox 3

Jan 3, 2008, 10:18:00 PM1/3/08
In searching the internet, I found several ways, but only one of them has
shown any success in clearing the problem. If you have a lot of time on your
hands, 2+ hours, turn on your computer and boot to Vista. Insert your
original Vista DVD, then select "Upgrade" from the list, and let the program
do the rest. It seems that this has been the only really successful way of
getting the Windows Update to work again. A number of people have done this
method and say it works. You may have to reinstall sound drivers once it is
done.

Fox 3

Fox 3

Jan 3, 2008, 10:29:01 PM1/3/08
See Fox 3 reply!

slice125

Mar 26, 2008, 11:52:17 AM3/26/08
How would I go about upgrading without the original disk? My HP Pavilion did
not come with a disk claiming that they are no longer neccesary.

gresheju

May 25, 2008, 1:06:59 AM5/25/08

Sorry I don't have a fix. I've got the same problem. HP said it was
out of their league and passed it to a "higher authority"(?). Did you
ever get a fix?
thanks

--
gresheju

TaurArian

May 25, 2008, 3:24:41 AM5/25/08
Who are you responding to?

80070490 - ERROR_NOT_FOUND. Corrupted System File. Need to perform an in-place upgrade or
reinstall of the OS.

For information about how to contact Microsoft (the higher authority) visit the

TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2008 - Update Services
http://taurarian.mvps.org
======================================

"gresheju" <greshej...@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote in message

ali@discussions.microsoft.com haider ali

Jun 24, 2008, 3:46:01 AM6/24/08
i am facing the same problem 80070490 windows cannot search for new updates
if u found any solution kindly help me out.
haider

Mohammed

Jun 27, 2008, 8:57:07 PM6/27/08
Hi Jake,
The only ways to fix the issue is re-installing the operating system.

John

Jan 7, 2009, 8:12:01 AM1/7/09
Hello Fox 3,
I have the same problem with windowsupdate.
You solved it by upgrading from the original disk.
Was your original disk a OEM version for Vista or the full package?
Thanks,
John

Gleeman

Mar 21, 2009, 7:30:03 AM3/21/09

"Engel" wrote:

> Hello Jake,
>
> 80070490
> http://groups.google.com/groups/search?q=80070490&qt_s=Search
>
> http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&rls=SUNA%2CSUNA%3A2007-17%2CSUNA%3Aen&q=80070490&btnG=Search&meta=
>
> http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&q=80070490&btnG=Google+Search&meta=
>
> http://www.google.es/search?hl=es&q=80070490&btnG=Buscar+con+Google&meta=
>

> 0x80070490
> http://groups.google.com/groups/search?q=0x80070490+&qt_s=Search+Groups
>
> http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&rls=SUNA%2CSUNA%3A2007-17%2CSUNA%3Aen&q=0x80070490&btnG=Search&meta=
>
> http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&q=0x80070490&btnG=Search&meta=
>
> http://www.google.es/search?hl=es&q=0x80070490&btnG=Buscar&meta=
>
> Good luck
> --

> "Jake" wrote:
>
> > I'm getting the "Windows could not search for new updates" and
> > returned error code 80070490 in the window. I've tried restoring to a
> > previously-successful 'windows update' restore point but the problem
> > persists. There doesn't appear to be any reference in the Microsoft Knowledge
> > Base to this particular error code. Any ideas on the problem and how to
> > resolve it? Thanks.
> >
> > Ian

Or he could try:
http://www.google.se/search?hl=sv&q=windows+update+error+code+80070490&meta=&btnG=Google-s%C3%B6kning
Where this post is currently rank two.

Here's a newsflash to all you help people by telling them to look things up
on google-newbies. The posts you reply to may very well end up getting
indexed by google. I suppose you don't realize what this means... it means
that I get stuck in google loops every time I try to sort out an error
because cluless chap x tells person b to look something up on google. Stop
doing it right now. You're the ones causing a problem for thousands of
people. Having multiple threads all over the webb resolving the same problem
would not be an issue. Having multiple unresolved threads pointing to
multiple unresolved threads now there's the bitch.

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Mar 21, 2009, 2:01:45 PM3/21/09
<ROFL>

Gleeman wrote:
<snip>

MsParrotfins

Mar 24, 2009, 1:50:02 PM3/24/09
Thanks for that!
--

"idiot-proofing may lead to devolution"

matrix

Jun 8, 2009, 9:04:01 PM6/8/09

Reiter@discussions.microsoft.com Erich Reiter

Oct 4, 2009, 2:54:01 AM10/4/09
<came here from google>

I second that... ^^

Update Interruptus@discussions.microsoft.com Windows Update Interruptus

Nov 10, 2009, 11:26:02 AM11/10/09
Jake and anyone eles having problems with Windows automatic update. I've
been having problems with this and some other updates. I've tried everything
that has been suggested on this and other Microsoft community help forums
without success. Finally, I gave up on the automatic updated and made the
update manually using Microsfot's downloads site. This worked and my Windows
Update tool recognized the update as successful. Most other Windows Updates
happen without error. Microsoft (the corporate) has been unable to help
resolve the automatic update issue. Here is the linke for one such manual
update. After downloading this update and installing everything is working
fine for now.
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/thankyou.aspx?familyId=7d72f845-9feb-4685-a669-f9d6ab54f9ed&displayLang=en

MowGreen

Nov 10, 2009, 1:58:51 PM11/10/09
For Beginners and Intermediate Users -

1) You receive a "0x80070490" error code when you use Windows Update or
Microsoft Update Web sites to install updates
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/958044

> This issue may occur if there is corruption in the Component Based Servicing (CBS) manifest.

a) Run sfc /scannow from an Elevated Command Prompt
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936212

b) Download, save, and then run the System Update Readiness Tool
(CheckSUR) http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947821

c) > To resolve this issue, you must perform a repair installation of
Windows Vista or Windows Server 2008.
> Performing a repair installation will restore the current Windows installation to the version of the
> installation DVD. This also requires the installation of all updates that are not included on the
> installation DVD.

For Advanced Users or The Fearless -

2) How to overcome error 0x80070490 when installing updates in Windows
Vista/Server 2008
http://blogs.msdn.com/andrekl/archive/2008/09/29/how-to-overcome-error-0x80070490-when-installing-updates-in-windows-vista-server-2008.aspx

3) Update manually. Security updates are issued the second Tuesday of
the month.
Non-security Windows updates are issued the fourth Tuesday of the month.
A list of all update content by month:

Description of Software Update Services and Windows Server Update
Services changes in content for 2009
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/894199

*** Be wary of installing NON-essential software *** that will then have
to be updated when a vulnerability is discovered in them.

Ex: Windows Desktop Search; Silverlight; etc.

MowGreen

===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

banthecheck.com
"Security updates should *never* have *non-security content* prechecked"

ChexMix

Dec 29, 2009, 12:45:01 AM12/29/09
I havent Read all the replys but I belive this is the Unfixable Error code,
there is one and only one way to fix this.... Reinstall your opperating system

Shenan Stanley

Dec 29, 2009, 8:52:23 PM12/29/09

ChexMix wrote:
> I havent Read all the replys but I belive this is the Unfixable Error
> code,
> there is one and only one way to fix this.... Reinstall your opperating
> system

You receive a "0x80070490" error code when you use Windows Update

or Microsoft Update Web sites to install updates
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/958044

Essentially saying you should perform an in-place (repair) installation of
your operating system.

It would be *fantastic* if you happen to have a Windows XP CD with
SP3 integrated into it or a Windows Vista DVD with SP2 integrated
into it - but most people do not. ;-) (Depending on what OS you have.)

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

canadian user

Jan 12, 2010, 8:38:01 PM1/12/10

I just started getting this error message today. Occurred after uninstalling
Kapersky anti-virus and then installing McAfee internet suite. Not sure if
this is causing the error but will keep you posted if I find out.

--
N/A

"Jake" wrote:

> Darren, thanks for your interest in the problem. The error number is
> '80070490'. That is the only info that shows up in the screen. As there are
> other folk out there who are having similar problems,I suggest that you post
> the solutions here so that others can get the benefit from your solutions
> rather than posting them only to me. Regards,
>
> Ian
>
> "Darren Dheilly" wrote:
>

> > --
> > D.J .Dheilly
> > Send me your error message nuber at the top right hand corner of your scrren
> > after updates fail and your actualm problem with update to :
> > lepi...@shaw.ca and I wil give you the 3 possible fixes in an
> > attachment.... D.
> >

> > "Jake" wrote:
> >
> > > I'm getting the "Windows could not search for new updates" and
> > > returned error code 80070490 in the window. I've tried restoring to a
> > > previously-successful 'windows update' restore point but the problem
> > > persists. There doesn't appear to be any reference in the Microsoft Knowledge
> > > Base to this particular error code. Any ideas on the problem and how to

> > > resolve it? Thanks.
> > >
> > > Ian

Shenan Stanley

Jan 12, 2010, 9:53:33 PM1/12/10
canadian user wrote:
> I just started getting this error message today. Occurred after
> uninstalling Kapersky anti-virus and then installing McAfee
> internet suite. Not sure if this is causing the error but will keep
> you posted if I find out.

You really moved downhill in terms of protection and performance overall,
IMHO, with your switch in AV/all-in-one products.

I would recommend getting rid of McAfee (especially any all-in-one suite)
and getting either Avira AntiVir (free) or eSet NOD32 (AntiVirus only, ~$59
U.S. for 2 years.)

Use either the free MalwareBytes to scan periodically and cleanup the
malware it finds *or* purchase MalwareBytes ($24.95 U.S. I believe) and just
not get the malware in the first place.

As for the firewall - use the built-in Windows firewall. Now - you might
counter with, "But that only checks inbound traffic - not outgoing." and you
would be correct - but yor AV and antimalware should prevent that from
becoming an issue and if it is outgoing - that means it has already made
itself at home and likely was able to turn off any filters that would have
detected it given it is already installed.

jsadler

Feb 26, 2010, 8:58:11 AM2/26/10
I found this on Google! Problem solved!!!

JP

Apr 18, 2010, 12:16:01 PM4/18/10