RE: Error number 80073712

TaurArian

Jul 11, 2007, 1:48:01 AM7/11/07
The "Windows Features" dialog box is empty in Windows Vista, or you receive
an error message that includes the following code when you try to use Windows
Update: "0x80073712"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/931712/en-us

"naraku4656" wrote:

> i have no idea what this means and how do i fix it

Ice

Jul 13, 2007, 6:04:00 PM7/13/07
I have exactly the same issue, and there isnt tehe expected registry entry.
So I gather there isnt a solution and my computer is at risk?

chris...@comcast.net

Jul 14, 2007, 4:48:22 PM7/14/07
> > > i have no idea what this means and how do ifixit- Hide quoted text -

I have the same error also, and have tried Microsofts solution, but
the entry in the registry does not exists. I have also turned off all
virus checking, firewall, ect... still get the same error.

IS there a solution to this problem?

Hoock the Spook

Jul 15, 2007, 5:34:01 PM7/15/07
There is no solution to this MS error other than to reinstall Vista!

After days and days of calling MS Australia, I finally got onto a Techy who
advised that there "was no way to fix this error" sorry, go and get stuffed
customer. We have your money now it is a problem belong you!!! God I love
Microsoft!

AWHP

Jul 19, 2007, 5:22:01 PM7/19/07
After a long search, some good inputs, here finally a procedure that worked
for me:
All credits to CogitoErgoSum on forums, hereunder his procedure with a
slight modification:

I assume MS will deliver a patch sooner or later for this issue... however, I
fixed it with the help of MS Support.

DISCLAIMER: This solution fixed the problem for me, I cannot guarantee it
will fix it for anybody else! Moreover, renaming system files might corrupt
your system!!!

The issue is that the WUA 3.0 (7.0.6000.374) upgrade is corrupted,
essentially the system reports the WUA to be 7.0.6000.374 but the files on
the disk are still from the old version (you can check some of the DLLs like
wups.dll, wuaueng.dll etc... in the windows\system32) ... and you cannot
install the WUA 3.0 even manually.

delete the following file:

C:\windows\winsxs\pending.xml

Since Windows security will not allow you to do this, hereunder the
procedure to take ownership of the file:

run a command prompt with "Run as Administrator".
Type in the following commands:

takeown /f C:\Windows\winsxs\pending.xml

cacls C:\Windows\winsxs\pending.xml /G <YourUsername>:F

then delete the file
Reboot the machine, then manually install the WUA 3.0 downloadable from
here:
http://download.windowsupdate.com/v7/windowsupdate/redist/standalone/WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe

This should fix the Error 80073712 when the other solutions do not work.

BE AWARE that renaming C:\windows\winsxs\pending.xml might have
unrecoverable impacts on your Vista installation

Alwei

Jul 20, 2007, 2:01:10 AM7/20/07
Hi Guys,

hereunder a solution I found which proved to be working (I've modified the pending.xml ownership issue part and it worked for me after weeks of no solution...)

delete the following file:

C:\windows\winsxs\pending.xml

Tried it yesterday and it worked just fine... got 14 updates since then...

http://www.eggheadcafe.com

kung...@gmail.com

Jul 23, 2007, 10:14:07 AM7/23/07
Hi, i have had this problem for ages, but from reading what u have
wrote, i think i might be getting somewhere, but my lack of knowledge
on cmd promt is letting me down. i can take ownership of the file
fine, but the second line "cacls C:\Windows\winsxs\pending.xml /G
<YourUsername>:F ", just never works for me, do i type it exactly like
that, except for the usernme part?

> here:http://download.windowsupdate.com/v7/windowsupdate/redist/standalone/...

AWHP

Jul 23, 2007, 10:22:03 AM7/23/07
Yes indeed, your username without the potential domain. Instead of /G, you
can also type /grant

Should be working fine (I was in the same case as you were).

Kind regards,

AWHP

kung...@gmail.com

Jul 23, 2007, 10:47:55 AM7/23/07
hi, sorry to bug you again, still cant get it to work. so i put spaces
where there are spaces, and i put my username in < >

kung...@gmail.com

Jul 23, 2007, 11:23:35 AM7/23/07

thank the lord, i done it. couldnt get that second bit to work on cmd
promp, so after taking owenership, i went to the file properties, and
was now able to give myself full access to it that way, then delete
it. restarted, reinstalled windows update, and its working a treat.
cheers for your help.

AWHP

Jul 23, 2007, 11:56:03 AM7/23/07
you're most welcome :-)

dsgt...@googlemail.com

Jul 24, 2007, 6:23:44 AM7/24/07
I can't seem to find the file 'pending.xml'. Yet I get the error code
80073712

lbp1126

Jul 28, 2007, 9:54:00 AM7/28/07
I just posted a fix that worked for me. Try it

Michaelg50

Jul 30, 2007, 11:02:00 PM7/30/07
As a result of this comand:

takeown /f C:\Windows\winsxs\pending.xml

your user name will display which you can use in place <YourUsername> in
this command (drop the < and >, one space after G and no space after
<YourUsername>):

cacls C:\Windows\winsxs\pending.xml /G <YourUsername>:F

You can do the delete here too with this command:

del C:\Windows\winsxs\pending.xml

If the del command works (no errors displayed) you can go on and do the
download of Windows Update. It worked for me!

lifeguard_guy2002

Aug 25, 2007, 5:48:01 PM8/25/07
thanx i was having problems with the second line too and that way that you
did it worked like a charm thanx.

Kim B

Aug 29, 2007, 3:38:04 PM8/29/07
Tried this, Now NEW Code C015001A??

mwm5200

Oct 6, 2007, 3:33:00 PM10/6/07
I did this and then received the following Error: 80070002
I received this when I clicked on your link to download the WUA file.
Please help!

Unknown

Nov 3, 2007, 10:59:01 AM11/3/07
big...@hotmail.com

I am having problems getting administrator privleges just to correct error
coden 80073712. Please help.

fetchboi88

Nov 13, 2007, 8:07:01 PM11/13/07
oh my lord!!!! thank you so much!!! I've been looking for a solution to this
since like may and i only JUST found this and it worked!!!!

Glenn

Nov 25, 2007, 7:18:00 PM11/25/07

I have followed all the instructions, managed to take ownership of the file
and also used the commands

cacls C:\Windows\winsxs\pending.xml /G <YourUsername>:F

You can do the delete here too with this command:

del C:\Windows\winsxs\pending.xml

However, when trying to delete the file, I get the error...

Access Denied.

I do have full administrative privilages but no matter what I do, I cannot
delete the file. I also tried to take ownership via the file properties but
all that is greyed out for adding security or users.

Any ideas how I can delete this file.

Thanks

Glenn

Nov 25, 2007, 7:23:01 PM11/25/07
Ah,

Managed to delete the file.

After taking ownership of the file, I then manage to go to the file
properties and change the permissions to full control and now managed to
delete the file.

I have not rebooted yet so cannot confirm if this fix works but at least the
file is now deleted - thanks for your previous posting though.

lleiderm

Dec 1, 2007, 6:16:00 PM12/1/07

I am not able to do windows vista home premium updates. I get error code
80073712.

I do not have pending.xml file on my computer.

I downloaded the windows update facility given in this thread, but when I
run it, it says it is already installed and there is no need to reinstall it.
But I still cannot do windows updates.

Any suggestions?
Lloyd

Radagast

Dec 13, 2007, 4:32:01 AM12/13/07
Hey, I was having the exact same problem with windows live update and this
fix really help me, and now it is working just fine, although the first time
I tried to do an update it gave me the blue screen of death, the 2nd was
easy. How did you come up with this fix that Microsoft doesn't even give it
in their website?

Cheers

THE COMPUTER LAB

Dec 31, 2007, 10:27:46 PM12/31/07
This procedure fixed my problem instantly! Thanks!

"mwm5200" <mwm...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

ivo....@gmail.com

Jan 6, 2008, 7:16:31 AM1/6/08
On 2 dec 2007, 00:16, lleiderm <lleid...@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:
> I am not able to do windowsvistahome premium updates. I get error code80073712.

> I do not have pending.xml file on my computer.
>
> I downloaded the windows update facility given in this thread, but when I
> run it, it says it is already installed and there is no need to reinstall it.
> But I still cannot do windows updates.
>
> Any  suggestions?
> Lloyd

I have the same problem did you find a solution yet?

Tirado

Jan 14, 2008, 3:41:00 PM1/14/08
Likewise, this has been an incredible headache...But, I tried all of the
suggestions and could not get past the line "cacls
C:\Windows\winsxs\pending.xml /G <YourUsername>:F" after I had taken
ownership of the file. Cannot get it to work, Lots of stuff I do not
understand but one of the things is that it would not recognize my username
in any form.
Exactly, what is the line supposed to do?
Thanks, Tom

--
t...@usa.com

Tirado

Jan 14, 2008, 4:55:02 PM1/14/08
I was finally successful in removing the pending file. But when I tried to
install the WUA, it said that it was already installed and would not let me
do it. Also, the pending file is now missing in the sxw directory. I tried
to re-add it but can't. Should I be worried? The original error msg no
longer appears when I try to update, but a new one now appears (800B)100).
But this time it allows me to hide the file that is trying to download and
install. mYet, everytime I restart the computer there is a msg saying that
there is an update waiting. Heaven help us!
Thanks, again,
Tom
--
t...@usa.com

Jedi787Plus

Feb 25, 2008, 12:56:01 AM2/25/08
I am getting the same error code, but in a 64-bit Vista. Where is the
download link for the x64 version of WUA 3.0?

Jedi787Plus

Feb 25, 2008, 1:14:02 AM2/25/08
Originally, I was getting error code C015001A with Windows Update, until I
manually downloaded and installed SP1 prerequisites KB937287 and KB938371
from the Download Ctr, rebooted, then successfully installed the two .NET
Framework updates KB929300 & KB110806 from the .NET 3.5 redist package,
rebooted again, then at last successfully installed .NET Framework 3.5 from
the same package. Now I get error code 80073712 on Windows Update, yet I
don't see any pending.xml file on C:\Windows\WinSxS. What shall I do? And
where is the x64 version of WUA 3.0 available for download?

(I do, however, see a similarly-named file,
5adfbf9a4677c801f7430000fc150814.pending.xml, on
C:\Windows\winsxs\Temp\PendingRenames, and I am also unable to delete it. I
haven't tried these command-line commands on this file, shall I?)

TaurArian

Feb 25, 2008, 3:00:14 AM2/25/08
Reinstall the Windows Update Agent - The links to all are in the below kb article.
A new version of the Windows Update Agent is available
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/946928

--
====================================
TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2008 - Australia

"Jedi787Plus" <Jedi7...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Jedi787Plus

Feb 25, 2008, 6:57:03 PM2/25/08
I downloaded the new WUA version. Tried to install it and it also failed with
the same error code 80073712. It seems that Windows Update cannot proceed to
check for other updates online because it is trying to install WUA 3.0 and
the WUA 3.0 installer itself is failing and triggering the same error code. I
reported the problem via Control Panel\Problem Reports and Solutions. So far
no solution received. Any clues?

By the way, this was a fresh re-install of Windows Vista I did last week
after installing a new motherboard with different chipset (thus requiring the
re-install); I can't afford to re-install it again now and start it all over
again and re-spend four precious days of re-configuration and re-updating.

Jedi787Plus

Feb 25, 2008, 8:16:01 PM2/25/08
I agree. That KB article is dead; I get the same error 80073712 with WU on my
x64 Vista, and I don't have any pending.xml file.

"Peanutt70" wrote:

> It would seem that this KBarticle has been removed and I am still having
> trouble finding the pending.xml file as it is not present in my winsxs
> folder... Is there anywhere I can turn with this?
>

> "TaurArian" wrote:
>
> > The "Windows Features" dialog box is empty in Windows Vista, or you receive
> > an error message that includes the following code when you try to use Windows
> > Update: "0x80073712"
> >

> > "naraku4656" wrote:
> >
> > > i have no idea what this means and how do i fix it

TaurArian

Feb 26, 2008, 4:30:14 AM2/26/08
How to obtain assistance from MS Support

Customers in the U.S. and Canada can receive technical support from Microsoft Product
Support Services at 1-866-PCSAFETY. There is no-charge for support calls that are
associated with security updates or using Automatic Updates. When you call, clearly state
that your problem is. Note any error codes etc.

In other countries, see http://support.microsoft.com/security
"No-Charge Support...for virus and other security-related" issues in right-hand menu for
localized contact information.

For more information about how to contact Microsoft for support issues, visit the
International Support Web site:
https://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx

====================================
TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2008 - Australia
====================================
http://taurarian.mvps.org/index.htm

"Jedi787Plus" <Jedi7...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Jedi787Plus

Feb 26, 2008, 4:55:00 AM2/26/08
I did so while I was posting here. I got a late reply; technical support told
me to stop the Windows Update service via some administrative command in the
command prompt, then rename C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution to some dummy
name, then restart Windows Update service via another similar administrative
command. Then run an SFC command which detected several corrupted files but
could not repair them, and a CBS log was generated which I compressed into a
ZIP archive and sent back to technical support. Meanwhile I tried to run
again the WUA 3.0 installer but again got the error 80073712. But then
decided to run again Windows Update from the Control Panel, and this time it
checked and detected several updates missing from my computer (that is, no
more error 80073712). So perhaps WUA 3.0 was already installed in my machine.
Now my worry is on those corrupt files reported by the CBS log generated by
the SFC command.

A copy of the ZIP containing my CBS log can be found below:
http://charsetplus.tripod.com/CBS.zip

Jedi787Plus

Feb 26, 2008, 5:05:01 AM2/26/08
I contacted MS technical support. This is what they told me:

***

Step 1: Rename the Windows Update Softwaredistribution folder
This problem may occur if the Windows Update, Software distribution folder
has been corrupted. We can refer to the following steps to rename this
folder. Please note that the folder will be re-created the next time we visit
the Windows Update site.

1. Close all the open windows.
2. Click the "Start" Button, click "All programs", and click "Accessories".
3. Right-click "Command Prompt", and click "Run as administrator".
4. In "Administrator: Command Prompt" window, type in "net stop WuAuServ"
(without the quotes) and press Enter.

Note: Please look at the cmd window and make sure it says that it was
successfully stopped before we try to rename the folder. However, if it
failed, please let me know before performing any further steps and include
any error messages you may have received when it failed.

5. Click the "Start" Button, in the "Start Search" box, type in "%windir%"
(without the quotes) and press Enter.
6. In the opened folder, look for the folder named "SoftwareDistribution".
7. Right-click on the folder, select "Rename" and type "SDold" (without the
quotes) to rename this folder.
8. Still in "Administrator: Command Prompt" window, type the command "net
start WuAuServ" (without the quotes) in the opened window to restart the
Windows Updates service.

Note: Please look at the cmd window and make sure it says that it was
successfully started. However, if it failed, please let me know before
performing any further steps and include any error messages you may have
received when it failed.

Step 2: SFC
============
Use the System File Checker (SFC) to scan system files for Vista
The System File Checker tool enable an administrator to scan all protected
files to verify their versions. To do so, follow these steps:

1. Click "Start", type "CMD" (without quotation marks) in the "Start Search"
box. Right click on the "CMD.exe" file, choose "Run as Administrator"
2. Copy and paste "SFC /Scannow" (without quotation marks) in the "Open"
box, and click "OK".

Note: There is a SPACE between "SFC" and "/Scannow", this command will take
several minutes to complete and may require access to the Windows
installation source files. If you are prompted to insert the CD, click
"Continue" each time it prompts. In addition the process may stop at 99%. If
this happens, please wait for some time and close it if it still stops at 99%.

***

The SFC command above detected several corrupted files on my system but

could not repair them, and a CBS log was generated which I compressed into a

ZIP archive and sent back to them by email.
They later told me on the same message to run Windows Update from the
Control Panel. This time it checked and detected several updates missing from

my computer (that is, no more error 80073712).

Now my worry is on those corrupt files reported by the CBS log generated by
the SFC command.

TaurArian

Feb 26, 2008, 5:04:33 AM2/26/08
Thanks for updating the thread jedi787plus. Await the tech's review of the file you sent
them.
This thread may assist others with this problem in the future.

====================================
TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2008 - Australia
====================================
http://taurarian.mvps.org/index.htm

"Jedi787Plus" <Jedi7...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

problem@discussions.microsoft.com vista problem

Mar 14, 2008, 7:31:01 PM3/14/08
I did every thing you said and still get the same error code 80073712

do you have to reboot?

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Mar 14, 2008, 8:32:18 PM3/14/08
Then perhaps you should contact MS Tech Support, too?!

Support for Windows Update:

to a Security Update and cite the update's KB number (e.g., KB123456).

your usual support contacts.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
AumHa VSOP & Admin; DTS-L.net

Blazefirewolf

Mar 16, 2008, 1:12:01 PM3/16/08
Alright well I have an issue as well. I have tried various other solutions
and when I try this and search for C:\windows\winsxs\pending.xml it says the
file is not found. I tried to perform the other steps to no results. I also
used the windows error-checking option and this didn't help either. Basically
I can't find a solution to this problem. I would perform a system restore
however the date that this started happening is too far back so a system
restore would do nothing. Am I basically Doomed?

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Mar 16, 2008, 1:52:19 PM3/16/08
Please begin a new thread about /your/ specific problems. Thanks.

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net

Blazefirewolf wrote:
> Alright well I have an issue as well. I have tried various other solutions
> and when I try this and search for C:\windows\winsxs\pending.xml it says
> the file is not found. I tried to perform the other steps to no results. I
> also used the windows error-checking option and this didn't help either.
> Basically I can't find a solution to this problem. I would perform a
> system
> restore however the date that this started happening is too far back so a
> system restore would do nothing. Am I basically Doomed?

<snip>

Robert Aldwinckle

Mar 17, 2008, 12:38:39 PM3/17/08
"Blazefirewolf" <Blazef...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> Alright well I have an issue as well. I have tried various other solutions
> and when I try this and search for C:\windows\winsxs\pending.xml it says the
> file is not found. I tried to perform the other steps to no results. I also
> used the windows error-checking option and this didn't help either.

> Basically I can't find a solution to this problem.

<repost date="2007-05-28">

So, you tried a search something like this to find that tip?

(0x80073712 OR 80073712 OR 14098) site:microsoft.com

If guessing doesn't work perhaps it's time to try some diagnosis? <eg>

Try installing it manually with verbose mode logging?

What is the context of the code (or its aliases) in the install log(s)?

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
---
</repost>

Mightymouse

Mar 30, 2008, 11:14:02 AM3/30/08

well i have read the soultions and they work fine depending on one fact...
you have the pending,xml file...... i do not yet i still get the error any
explantions?

mindgames

May 16, 2008, 1:26:53 AM5/16/08

when I type "net stop WuAuServ" in c:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32 I get the message
"Program too big to fit in memory" what should I do next ?

--
mindgames
mindgames's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=49435

http://forums.techarena.in

PA Bear [MS MVP]

May 16, 2008, 3:11:02 PM5/16/08
To whom are you replying in this 10-month-old thread?

The "Windows Features" dialog box is empty in Windows Vista, or you receive
an error message that includes the following code when you try to use
Windows Update: "0x80073712":
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/931712/en-us

Unlimited installation and compatibility support for Vista SP1 is available
at no charge through 18 Mar-09
• US:
http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?ln=en-us&prid=11274&gprid=500921

• CA:
http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?ln=en-ca&prid=11274&gprid=500921

• UK:
http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?ln=en-gb&prid=11274&gprid=500921

• AU:
http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?ln=en-au&prid=11274&gprid=500921

• Other: http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx | select Windows
Vista | select Windows Vista Service Pack 1

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

krexc

Oct 5, 2008, 12:52:01 PM10/5/08
I tried the search for "pending.xml" as well and did not find it. However, I
went ahead and downloaded and installed the the latest Windows Update version
from the referenced site
(http://download.windowsupdate.com/v7/windowsupdate/redist/standalone/WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe) and then ran Windows Update and it worked.

gee

Oct 19, 2009, 5:46:09 AM10/19/09

mikezalusky

Dec 29, 2009, 11:41:05 AM12/29/09
I also did not have pending.xml and when trying to run WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe received the same 80073712 error message. I first had to run WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe /uninstall and then ran WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe /wuforce

krex wrote:

I tried the search for "pending.xml" as well and did not find it.

05-Oct-08

I tried the search for "pending.xml" as well and did not find it. However, I
went ahead and downloaded and installed the the latest Windows Update version
from the referenced site
(http://download.windowsupdate.com/v7/windowsupdate/redist/standalone/WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe) and then ran Windows Update and it worked.

"Blazefirewolf" wrote:

On Tuesday, July 10, 2007 8:26 PM
naraku465 wrote:

Error number 80073712

i have no idea what this means and how do i fix it

On Friday, July 13, 2007 6:04 PM
Ic wrote:

I have exactly the same issue, and there isnt tehe expected registry entry.
I have exactly the same issue, and there isnt tehe expected registry entry.
So I gather there isnt a solution and my computer is at risk?

"TaurArian" wrote:

On Saturday, July 14, 2007 4:48 PM
chris-ston wrote:

Re: Error number 80073712
On Jul 13, 6:04 pm, Ice <I...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

I have the same error also, and have tried Microsofts solution, but
the entry in the registry does not exists. I have also turned off all
virus checking, firewall, ect... still get the same error.

IS there a solution to this problem?

On Sunday, July 15, 2007 5:34 PM
HoocktheSpoo wrote:

There is no solution to this MS error other than to reinstall Vista!
There is no solution to this MS error other than to reinstall Vista!

After days and days of calling MS Australia, I finally got onto a Techy who
advised that there "was no way to fix this error" sorry, go and get stuffed
customer. We have your money now it is a problem belong you!!! God I love
Microsoft!

On Thursday, July 19, 2007 5:22 PM
AWH wrote:

delete the following file:

C:\windows\winsxs\pending.xml

"Hoock the Spook" wrote:

On Friday, July 20, 2007 2:01 AM
Alwei wrote:

FOUND A Solution :-) 80073712 / WIndows Vista Update will no longer work
Hi Guys,

hereunder a solution I found which proved to be working (I've modified the pending.xml ownership issue part and it worked for me after weeks of no solution...)

delete the following file:

C:\windows\winsxs\pending.xml

Tried it yesterday and it worked just fine... got 14 updates since then...

On Monday, July 23, 2007 10:22 AM
AWH wrote:

Yes indeed, your username without the potential domain.
Yes indeed, your username without the potential domain. Instead of /G, you
can also type /grant

Should be working fine (I was in the same case as you were).

Kind regards,

AWHP

On Monday, July 23, 2007 10:47 AM
kungfunu wrote:

hi, sorry to bug you again, still cant get it to work.
hi, sorry to bug you again, still cant get it to work. so i put spaces
where there are spaces, and i put my username in < >

On Monday, July 23, 2007 11:23 AM
kungfunu wrote:

thank the lord, i done it.
thank the lord, i done it. couldnt get that second bit to work on cmd
promp, so after taking owenership, i went to the file properties, and
was now able to give myself full access to it that way, then delete
it. restarted, reinstalled windows update, and its working a treat.
cheers for your help.

On Monday, July 23, 2007 11:56 AM
AWH wrote:

Re: FOUND A Solution :-) 80073712 / WIndows Vista Update will no l
you are most welcome :-)

On Tuesday, July 24, 2007 6:23 AM
dsgtrai wrote:

I can't seem to find the file 'pending.xml'. Yet I get the error code80073712
I cannot seem to find the file 'pending.xml'. Yet I get the error code
80073712

On Saturday, July 28, 2007 9:54 AM
lbp112 wrote:

Re: FOUND A Solution :-) 80073712 / WIndows Vista Update will no l
I just posted a fix that worked for me. Try it

On Monday, July 30, 2007 11:02 PM
Michaelg5 wrote:

Re: Error number 80073712
As a result of this comand:

takeown /f C:\Windows\winsxs\pending.xml

your user name will display which you can use in place <YourUsername> in
this command (drop the < and >, one space after G and no space after
<YourUsername>):

cacls C:\Windows\winsxs\pending.xml /G <YourUsername>:F

You can do the delete here too with this command:

del C:\Windows\winsxs\pending.xml

If the del command works (no errors displayed) you can go on and do the
download of Windows Update. It worked for me!

"AWHP" wrote:

On Saturday, August 25, 2007 5:48 PM
lifeguard_guy200 wrote:

thanx i was having problems with the second line too and that way that you did
thanx i was having problems with the second line too and that way that you
did it worked like a charm thanx.

On Wednesday, August 29, 2007 3:38 PM
Kim wrote:

Re: Error number 80073712
Tried this, Now NEW Code C015001A??

"AWHP" wrote:

On Saturday, October 06, 2007 3:33 PM
mwm520 wrote:

Re: Error number 80073712

I did this and then received the following Error: 80070002
I received this when I clicked on your link to download the WUA file.
Please help!

"AWHP" wrote:

On Saturday, November 03, 2007 10:59 AM
bigcr wrote:

Re: FOUND A Solution :-) 80073712 / WIndows Vista Update will no l
big...@hotmail.com

I am having problems getting administrator privleges just to correct error
coden 80073712. Please help.

"lbp1126" wrote:

On Tuesday, November 13, 2007 8:07 PM
fetchboi8 wrote:

oh my lord!!!! thank you so much!!!
oh my lord!!!! thank you so much!!! I have been looking for a solution to this
since like may and i only JUST found this and it worked!!!!

"AWHP" wrote:

On Sunday, November 25, 2007 7:18 PM
Glen wrote:

Hi,I have followed all the instructions, managed to take ownership of the file
Hi,

I have followed all the instructions, managed to take ownership of the file
and also used the commands

cacls C:\Windows\winsxs\pending.xml /G <YourUsername>:F

You can do the delete here too with this command:

del C:\Windows\winsxs\pending.xml

However, when trying to delete the file, I get the error...

Access Denied.

I do have full administrative privilages but no matter what I do, I cannot
delete the file. I also tried to take ownership via the file properties but
all that is greyed out for adding security or users.

Any ideas how I can delete this file.

Thanks

"AWHP" wrote:

On Sunday, November 25, 2007 7:23 PM
Glen wrote:

Ah,Managed to delete the file.
Ah,

Managed to delete the file.

After taking ownership of the file, I then manage to go to the file
properties and change the permissions to full control and now managed to
delete the file.

I have not rebooted yet so cannot confirm if this fix works but at least the
file is now deleted - thanks for your previous posting though.

"Glenn" wrote:

On Saturday, December 01, 2007 6:16 PM
lleider wrote:

I am not able to do windows vista home premium updates.

I am not able to do windows vista home premium updates. I get error code
80073712.

I do not have pending.xml file on my computer.

I downloaded the windows update facility given in this thread, but when I
run it, it says it is already installed and there is no need to reinstall it.
But I still cannot do windows updates.

Any suggestions?
Lloyd

On Thursday, December 13, 2007 4:32 AM
Radagas wrote:

Cheers

On Monday, December 31, 2007 10:27 PM
THE COMPUTER LAB wrote:

This procedure fixed my problem instantly! Thanks!
This procedure fixed my problem instantly! Thanks!

On Tuesday, January 08, 2008 1:13 AM
ivo.spoh wrote:

Re: FOUND A Solution :-) 80073712 / WIndows Vista Update will no l
wrote:
3712.
it.

I have the same problem did you find a solution yet?

On Monday, January 14, 2008 3:41 PM
tc wrote:

Likewise, this has been an incredible headache...
Likewise, this has been an incredible headache...But, I tried all of the
suggestions and could not get past the line "cacls
C:\Windows\winsxs\pending.xml /G <YourUsername>:F" after I had taken
ownership of the file. Cannot get it to work, Lots of stuff I do not
understand but one of the things is that it would not recognize my username
in any form.
Exactly, what is the line supposed to do?
Thanks, Tom

--
t...@usa.com

"AWHP" wrote:

On Monday, January 14, 2008 4:55 PM
tc wrote:

I was finally successful in removing the pending file.
I was finally successful in removing the pending file. But when I tried to
install the WUA, it said that it was already installed and would not let me
do it. Also, the pending file is now missing in the sxw directory. I tried
to re-add it but can't. Should I be worried? The original error msg no
longer appears when I try to update, but a new one now appears (800B)100).
But this time it allows me to hide the file that is trying to download and
install. mYet, everytime I restart the computer there is a msg saying that
there is an update waiting. Heaven help us!
Thanks, again,

Tom
--
t...@usa.com

"AWHP" wrote:

On Wednesday, February 13, 2008 7:21 AM
Peanutt7 wrote:

It would seem that this KBarticle has been removed and I am still having
It would seem that this KBarticle has been removed and I am still having
trouble finding the pending.xml file as it is not present in my winsxs
folder... Is there anywhere I can turn with this?

"TaurArian" wrote:

On Monday, February 25, 2008 12:56 AM
Jedi787Plu wrote:

I am getting the same error code, but in a 64-bit Vista.
I am getting the same error code, but in a 64-bit Vista. Where is the

download link for the x64 version of WUA 3.0?

"AWHP" wrote:

On Monday, February 25, 2008 1:14 AM
Jedi787Plu wrote:

[...]

"AWHP" wrote:

On Monday, February 25, 2008 3:00 AM
TaurArian wrote:

Reinstall the Windows Update Agent - The links to all are in the below kb
Reinstall the Windows Update Agent - The links to all are in the below kb article.
A new version of the Windows Update Agent is available
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/946928

--
====================================
TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2008 - Australia
====================================
http://taurarian.mvps.org/index.htm

"Jedi787Plus" <Jedi7...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

http://download.windowsupdate.com/v7/windowsupdate/redist/standalone/WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe

On Monday, February 25, 2008 6:57 PM
Jedi787Plu wrote:

I downloaded the new WUA version.
I downloaded the new WUA version. Tried to install it and it also failed with
the same error code 80073712. It seems that Windows Update cannot proceed to
check for other updates online because it is trying to install WUA 3.0 and
the WUA 3.0 installer itself is failing and triggering the same error code. I
reported the problem via Control Panel\Problem Reports and Solutions. So far
no solution received. Any clues?

By the way, this was a fresh re-install of Windows Vista I did last week
after installing a new motherboard with different chipset (thus requiring the
re-install); I can't afford to re-install it again now and start it all over
again and re-spend four precious days of re-configuration and re-updating.

"TaurArian" wrote:

On Monday, February 25, 2008 8:16 PM
Jedi787Plu wrote:

I agree.

I agree. That KB article is dead; I get the same error 80073712 with WU on my

x64 Vista, and I do not have any pending.xml file.

"Peanutt70" wrote:

On Tuesday, February 26, 2008 4:30 AM
TaurArian wrote:

[...]

On Tuesday, February 26, 2008 4:55 AM
Jedi787Plu wrote:

[...]

"TaurArian" wrote:

On Tuesday, February 26, 2008 5:04 AM
TaurArian wrote:

Thanks for updating the thread jedi787plus.
Thanks for updating the thread jedi787plus. Await the tech's review of the file you sent
them.
This thread may assist others with this problem in the future.

====================================
TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2008 - Australia
====================================
http://taurarian.mvps.org/index.htm

"Jedi787Plus" <Jedi7...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

state
for
http://download.windowsupdate.com/v7/windowsupdate/redist/standalone/WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe

On Tuesday, February 26, 2008 5:05 AM
Jedi787Plu wrote:

***

***

"Peanutt70" wrote:

On Friday, March 14, 2008 7:31 PM
vista proble wrote:

I did every thing you said and still get the same error code 80073712do you
I did every thing you said and still get the same error code 80073712

do you have to reboot?

"Jedi787Plus" wrote:

On Friday, March 14, 2008 8:32 PM

PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:

Then perhaps you should contact MS Tech Support, too?
Then perhaps you should contact MS Tech Support, too?!

to a Security Update and cite the update's KB number (e.g., KB123456).

your usual support contacts.

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

AumHa VSOP & Admin; DTS-L.net

vista problem wrote:

On Sunday, March 16, 2008 1:12 PM
Blazefirewol wrote:

Alright well I have an issue as well.
Alright well I have an issue as well. I have tried various other solutions
and when I try this and search for C:\windows\winsxs\pending.xml it says the
file is not found. I tried to perform the other steps to no results. I also
used the windows error-checking option and this didn't help either. Basically
I can't find a solution to this problem. I would perform a system restore
however the date that this started happening is too far back so a system
restore would do nothing. Am I basically Doomed?

"AWHP" wrote:

On Sunday, March 16, 2008 1:52 PM

PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:

Please begin a new thread about /your/ specific problems. Thanks.
Please begin a new thread about /your/ specific problems. Thanks.

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Blazefirewolf wrote:
<snip>

On Monday, March 17, 2008 12:38 PM
Robert Aldwinckle wrote:

Re: Error number 80073712

"Blazefirewolf" <Blazef...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

<repost date="2007-05-28">

So, you tried a search something like this to find that tip?

(0x80073712 OR 80073712 OR 14098) site:microsoft.com

If guessing doesn't work perhaps it's time to try some diagnosis? <eg>

Try installing it manually with verbose mode logging?

What is the context of the code (or its aliases) in the install log(s)?

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
---
</repost>

On Sunday, March 30, 2008 11:14 AM
Mightymous wrote:

well i have read the soultions and they work fine depending on one fact...
well i have read the soultions and they work fine depending on one fact...
you have the pending,xml file...... i do not yet i still get the error any
explantions?

"Tirado" wrote:

On Friday, May 16, 2008 1:26 AM
mindgames wrote:

Re: Error number 80073712

when I type "net stop WuAuServ" in c:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32 I get the message
"Program too big to fit in memory" what should I do next ?

--
mindgames
mindgames's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=49435
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=781179

http://forums.techarena.in

On Friday, May 16, 2008 3:11 PM

PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:

[...]

mindgames wrote:

On Sunday, October 05, 2008 12:52 PM
krex wrote:

I tried the search for "pending.xml" as well and did not find it.
I tried the search for "pending.xml" as well and did not find it. However, I
went ahead and downloaded and installed the the latest Windows Update version
from the referenced site
(http://download.windowsupdate.com/v7/windowsupdate/redist/standalone/WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe) and then ran Windows Update and it worked.

"Blazefirewolf" wrote:

On Monday, October 19, 2009 5:46 AM
gee wrote:

"naraku4656" wrote:
"naraku4656" wrote:

Win a share of $400 by posting to our messageboard
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/57326c3d-a9c9-4ccc-96e6-a044f2d9cbe1/win-a-share-of-400-by-po.aspx

darktemp223

Jan 11, 2010, 7:01:01 PM1/11/10
this doesnt work for me it keeps saying system cannot find specified path

Peter Foldes

Jan 11, 2010, 7:52:53 PM1/11/10
What does not work for you.

--
Peter

"darktemp223" <darkt...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

musicman

Feb 18, 2010, 5:02:03 PM2/18/10

Is there a solution for this problem without having to upgrade to 7?

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Feb 18, 2010, 7:36:52 PM2/18/10
what makes you think upgrading will resolve the problem?