update (KB930494) won't install

philwil

Jul 21, 2007, 10:26:03 AM7/21/07
I had to repair WinXPMediaCentre, which meant reinstalling 85 windows
updates. All but one installed fine (after some messing around) but this one
- Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework, Version 1.0 Service Pack 3
(KB930494) - fails to install.
It repeatedly downloads automatically and prompts me to install, or sits in
my taskbar with the shield icon. But it always fails to install. I've
installed the latest windows installer, but it makes no difference.
How can I sort this?

Don Burnette

Jul 21, 2007, 10:31:31 AM7/21/07

"philwil" <phi...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

This has been a major problem with this update for many. There have been
fixes posted here, that involves uninstalling, running windows installer
cleanup, etc
I tried, unsuccessfully. I have just hidden the update, and will wait and
see if MS fixes this broken update.

--
Don

PA Bear

Jul 21, 2007, 12:59:54 PM7/21/07
See my reply to your original thread, Phil.

<QP>
I assume you're running either WinXP Media Center Edition or Tablet Edition,
Phil. You'll see many threads in this newsgroup about problems installing
one or more of the recent .NET Framework updates. We have no idea why so
many users are having such problems.

=> For official support on the problem:

Otherwise...

=> Try temporarily disabling your anti-virus and/or real-time protection
provided by any anti-spyware applications (e.g., CounterSpy, Spysweeper,
Spybot, AVG Anti-Spyware) and/or any third-party firewall (e.g., ZA) before
attempting to install the update(s). [If you disable a third-party
firewall, make CERTAIN you the Windows Firewall is enabled!]

=> If no joy, MS Product Support Services (PSS) has been recommending the
following to resolve the problem:

*Do each step, in order, for best results.*

1. Uninstall .NET Framework 1.0 SP3 via Add/Remove Programs and reboot.

2. Run the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301

3. Download and run the .NET Framework Cleanup Tool
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=7A4EFC33-0343-4EE4-B0C4-97BD16967A09

4. Download .NET Framework 1.0 SP3, saving it to your desktop then install
it manually
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=6978d761-4a92-4106-a9bc-83e78d4abc5b

5. Install 930494 either via Automatic Updates, Windows Update website
(http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com), or manually using the download from
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=829A2C5B-11EC-4ED7-91AB-6961034147BC

Let us know how you make out.
</QP>
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
AumHa VSOP & Admin; DTS-L.org

Jim

Jul 22, 2007, 6:22:00 AM7/22/07
I am also having this problem and tried to fillow your advice without
success. Also tried to raise an incident request but not sure if that worked
either as I did not get any confirmation
--
Jim

tkcraig

Aug 14, 2007, 8:20:00 PM8/14/07
I also am having the same problem and when I went to look for the .NET
Framework 1.0 SP3, I can not locate it on my PC. Where would I locate it as
I can't find it and I am still getting the exclamation mark saying I need to
do this update. It's very annoying. Hopefully they will fix this without me
destroying my own computer first.

lesduncan

Apr 27, 2008, 12:36:35 PM4/27/08
Can't open Windows XP Media Center says I must reinstall the .NET Framework but can't find this

lesduncan

Apr 27, 2008, 12:34:49 PM4/27/08

lesduncan

Apr 27, 2008, 12:45:00 PM4/27/08
When opening XP Media Center receive error ehshell.exe a fatal error occurred.However,mscorees.dll could not be loaded to display the appropriate message please re install the .NET Framework.

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Apr 27, 2008, 1:33:03 PM4/27/08
By editing the subject, you began a new thread, at least as far as users of
some newsreaders are concerned. And seeing as you neglected to quote any
earlier posts, I'll ask: What "same problem" are you having?? Did you also
reinstall WinXP MCE?

PS: One post about the problem would have been sufficient.

The thread you attempted to reply to dates from July 2007. Have you read
all replies (e.g.,
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsupdate/msg/c0f69b8d0121e42e)?

==============================

How to determine which versions of the .NET Framework are installed and
whether service packs have been applied
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318785

1. Write down all .NET Framework versions and SPs installed.

2. With http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923100 open as a reference (ignore
the title):

a. Uninstall any/all .NET Framework versions SPs and associated Hotfixes
currently listed in Add/Remove Programs.

b. Reboot.

c. Download/run the cleanup tool referenced in
http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2006/05/30/611355.aspx

d. Reboot.

e. Manually download/install .NET Framework 1.0 SP3 from
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=6978D761-4A92-4106-A9BC-83E78D4ABC5B

f. If you uninstalled any later .NET Framework versions above, manually
download/install them, too.

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Les Duncan wrote:on

<paste>

> Can't open Windows XP Media Center says I must reinstall the .NET
> Framework
> but can't find this

</paste>
<paste>

> When opening XP Media Center receive error ehshell.exe a fatal error
> occurred.However,mscorees.dll could not be loaded to display the
> appropriate message please re install the .NET Framework.

</paste>

MowGreen [MVP]

Apr 27, 2008, 5:06:24 PM4/27/08
Les Duncan wrote:

> Can't open Windows XP Media Center says I must reinstall the .NET Framework but can't find this

Is this applicable ? -

How to repair the .NET Framework 1.0 that ships as part of the OS on
Media Center and Tablet PC
http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2005/09/01/459631.aspx

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

TaurArian

Apr 28, 2008, 3:14:29 AM4/28/08
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/820121
Computer Stops Responding or You Receive "Ehshell.exe - Common Language Runtime Debugging
Services" Error Message When You Perform Repetitive Tasks in Media Center

As regards the .net framework issue - start here

How to determine which versions of the .NET Framework are installed and whether service
packs have been applied
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318785

--

TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2008 - Update Services
http://taurarian.mvps.org

Window XP@discussions.microsoft.com Open Window XP

Apr 28, 2008, 7:13:01 AM4/28/08

browerhopson

Aug 10, 2008, 2:22:39 PM8/10/08
manually removing the .net framework program via the control panel and then manually installing the the new program worked for me! I am able to open Zune now, thanx

MedRxman

Aug 10, 2008, 8:24:17 PM8/10/08
How do you manually install a program?

<Brower Hopson> wrote in message