KB 928366

DSS

Jul 12, 2007, 12:50:06 PM7/12/07
This update has failed to instal on both my pc's - is there a plain english
answer somewhere of what to do next please?

G Three

Jul 12, 2007, 12:58:09 PM7/12/07
Mine too... this is getting old! The last 2 days have failed. Has anyone
figured this out yet and why?

Engel

Jul 12, 2007, 12:58:08 PM7/12/07

G Three

Jul 12, 2007, 1:02:00 PM7/12/07
This just shows how to uninstall it... I'd like to know how to install it.

gysca

Jul 12, 2007, 1:26:04 PM7/12/07
please read this post --> FAILED KB928365 and KB928366: ANSWER <--

search for that exact writing or just type KB on the search box...... good
luck!

carolyn

Jul 12, 2007, 1:42:03 PM7/12/07
I'm confused on this one-- it gives 3 different downloads I don't know which
one to use- -- will this remedy the KB928366 failed download on Windows XP?
Or is there something else that has to be done in addition to running the
cleanup tool?

Peter Foldes

Jul 12, 2007, 1:44:04 PM7/12/07
Download it from here and install
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/Bulletin/MS07-040.mspx
--
Peter

nikh...@yahoo.com

Jul 12, 2007, 2:15:49 PM7/12/07
here are the links to download all the windows xp updates.
You only need to search for particular KB(Knowledge base article).

http://microsoftupdatesmirror.blogspot.com/

On Jul 12, 10:44 pm, "Peter Foldes" <o...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Download it from here and installhttp://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/Bulletin/MS07-040.mspx

> --
> Peter

georgef

Jul 12, 2007, 4:38:05 PM7/12/07
Here is EXACTLY what you do to solve this problem for Windows XP 32
bit. If you happen to have a rarer 64 bit version, server OS, or
SOMETHING else follow the same general instructions but get the
version of the files appropriate for your system but first, Microsoft
has pissed me off beyond belief. I looked in my log and this same
thing happened 6/2006...thanks MSFT for torturing us again this year.
I thought it was a familiar feeling...nice branding...this is a huge
humiliation for their .NET team in my opinion or perhaps we should
start calling them the .NOT team...anyway....

Steps:
1) Go to the control panel and select the add/remove software tool
then TRY and remove everything with .NET in the name. If you can
remove everything go to step 3. If you cannot remove everything go to
step 2.

2) Go and download the windows installer clean up tool at:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301

run the windows installer clean up tool and BE CAREFUL to only select
the .NET items from the list and remove them. Note: this will likely
leave the names as "dead links" in the Add/Remove Software list
(ahhh ...Microsoft thoroughness at its best) but not to worry they
will do no harm and will get fixed when we finish. It's possible to
clean them up but let's stay out of the registry :-)

3) Go and get the file "dotnetfx.exe" this is ".NET 1.1" from:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=262D25E3-F589-4842-8157-034D1E7CF3A3&displaylang=en

install it.

4) Go and get the file "NDP1.1sp1-KB867460-X86.exe" this is the ".NET
1.1 service pack 1" from: my personal website (JUST KIDDING,
RELAX...get everything of course from a microsoft.com domain)

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=A8F5654F-088E-40B2-BBDB-A83353618B38&displaylang=en

install it.

5) Install the SECURITY patch, the dreaded KB928366, we have all grown
to hate. You can install it from the Windows Update program (be sure
to ONLY select the KB928366 patch and NOTHING else, we dont want to
put back 2.0 or 3.0 yet). It's OK go ahead and click ...it will be
alright...you can do it...it's just one more time... :-)

6) Re-run the Windows Update and you can add back in .NET 2.0 and 3.0

7) Post to thank me...

Now WHY hasn't Microsoft posted instructions yet? .... What is UP?!

Good night!

George

nospam

Jul 12, 2007, 7:43:04 PM7/12/07

"georgef" <geo...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Have done everything up to this point.

> 4) Go and get the file "NDP1.1sp1-KB867460-X86.exe" this is the ".NET
> 1.1 service pack 1" from: my personal website (JUST KIDDING,
> RELAX...get everything of course from a microsoft.com domain)
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=A8F5654F-088E-40B2-BBDB-A83353618B38&displaylang=en
>
> install it.

Did this installation. Question: Should this be shown as a separate
item in the Control Panel ADD/Remove Section? If so, what's it look like?

> 5) Install the SECURITY patch, the dreaded KB928366, we have all grown
> to hate. You can install it from the Windows Update program (be sure
> to ONLY select the KB928366 patch and NOTHING else, we dont want to
> put back 2.0 or 3.0 yet). It's OK go ahead and click ...it will be
> alright...you can do it...it's just one more time... :-)

Did this installation. . It is shown as a separate item in the Control
Panel.

> 6) Re-run the Windows Update and you can add back in .NET 2.0 and 3.0

2.0 was one of the .NET's removed, but I don't see it as a choice in
Windows Update. Where did I get it? I do have another choice to download
KB930494, but it just doesn't want to download.. Do I really need it?

> 7) Post to thank me...

Thanks George..

HEMI-Powered

Jul 13, 2007, 7:34:26 AM7/13/07
=?Utf-8?B?RyBUaHJlZQ==?= added these comments in the current
discussion du jour ...

I've been watching this play out and since I have no clue what NET
is or what the problem allegedly being fixed is, I decided to just
NOT try to install the "fix" at all. Yes, maybe now I am more at
risk for something I don't understand, but mebbe I'm better off
than being at risk for something that I DO understand - MS appears
to have, groan!, again released a somewhat mangled fix and has to
my knowledge failed so far to have re-released it in a working
form.

--
HP, aka Jerry

lesterw.

Jul 17, 2007, 8:07:41 PM7/17/07
These are the steps to fix the problem where Windows Update is unable to install KB928366. These steps are exactly as provided by Microsoft support. They worked quite well for me. I added one or two notes.

Be sure to backup BEFORE doing this, especially since registry modifications are involved.

---
Go to add/remove programs. Click the "show updates" checkbox at the top if you
are running Sp2. Remove Updates 886903 and 867460 and also remove any other versions of .Net framwork showing up. [Uninstall v3.0, then v2.0, and so on]

b) If the above steps fail, go ahead and rename the folder C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322 to C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322old.
[I had to do this step]

c) Delete the following registry keys if they are present:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\.NETFramework\PendingUpdates\v1.1.4322
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\NET Framework Setup\NDP\v1.1.4322
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\.NETFramework\policy\v1.1 and v2.0 and v3.0 [Start -> Run -> RegEdit.exe]

d) Download Windows Install Cleanup Utility by following the article http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301 and remove any other versions of .Net framework showing up in cleanup utility.

e) Also download the Net Framework cleanup tool from http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2005/04/08/406671.aspx and you can download the tool from the left side of the page under the section "USEFUL TOOLS".

f) Download and run the tool and select the option "Remove All Versions" and click Remove all and all versions of Net framework will be removed if you have not completely removed Dot Net in previous steps.You may have to restart your computer after this step for the changes to take effect.

g) Download the following files from the links given below and Install them.

DOTNETFX [This is the reinstall steps]

Install:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=262D25E3-F589-4842-8157-034D1E7CF3A3&displaylang=en
.NET FRAMEWORK 1.1 Service pack 1

Install:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=a8f5654f-088e-40b2-bbdb-a83353618b38&displaylang=en
[ a reboot may be required ]

h) Then Visit windows update website and you will get the prompt to install both the updates 928365 and 928366 and install them on the system and this time they will get installed without any issues.
[ a reboot may be required aftre the update ]

i) Then you can download the latest versions of Net framework like 2.0 and install them if customer wants. Also you can install Net framework 3.0 if its being used by the customer. But make sure you install 2.0 first and then install 3.0 as you may encounter some issues if you try installing 3.0 directly after installing Net Framework 1.1.

Thats it! Takes about 20 minutes to go through all the steps. Messy, but it worked.

http://www.eggheadcafe.com

HEMI-Powered

Jul 18, 2007, 7:42:22 AM7/18/07
added these comments in the current discussion du jour ...

> These are the steps to fix the problem where Windows Update is

> unable to install KB928366. These steps are exactly as
> provided by Microsoft support. They worked quite well for me.
> I added one or two notes.
>
> Be sure to backup BEFORE doing this, especially since registry
> modifications are involved.

Thanks for the additional information. This is a LOT of work, and
fraught with risk! What is it that is so vital about .NET and how
serious is the vulnerability that anyone would go through this
much time and effort to fix?

--
HP, aka Jerry

apdp...@gmail.com

Jul 31, 2007, 6:06:28 PM7/31/07
This is such garbage. None of these work on Windows XP Media Center!
I have tried all examples and sure enough that stupid update keeps
appearing on my machine.

Thanks a lot to the quality software developer who did this!

Fortunately for me, my Linux desktop is my primary machine.

> > articlehttp://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301and remove any

HEMI-Powered

Aug 1, 2007, 2:48:16 PM8/1/07
added these comments in the current discussion du jour ...

> This is such garbage. None of these work on Windows XP Media

> Center! I have tried all examples and sure enough that stupid
> update keeps appearing on my machine.
>

> Thanks a lot to the quality software developer who did this!
>

> Fortunately for me, my Linux desktop is my primary machine.

I stopped this update a LONG time ago - never found why it was
really needed, didn't need the constant hassle of trying to get
it to install OK. Hope you find a decent solution to you dilemma!

> On Jul 18, 7:42 am, "HEMI-Powered" <n...@none.sn> wrote:
>> added these comments in the current discussion du jour ...
>>
>> > These are the steps to fix the problem where Windows Update
>> > is unable to install KB928366. These steps are exactly as
>> > provided by Microsoft support. They worked quite well for
>> > me. I added one or two notes.
>>
>> > Be sure to backup BEFORE doing this, especially since
>> > registry modifications are involved.
>>
>> Thanks for the additional information. This is a LOT of work,
>> and fraught with risk! What is it that is so vital about .NET
>> and how serious is the vulnerability that anyone would go
>> through this much time and effort to fix?
>>

>> > ---
>> > Go to add/remove programs. Click the "show updates"
>> > checkbox at the top if you are running Sp2. Remove Updates
>> > 886903 and 867460 and also remove any other versions of
>> > .Net framwork showing up. [Uninstall v3.0, then v2.0, and
>> > so on]
>>
>> > b) If the above steps fail, go ahead and rename the folder
>> > C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322 to
>> > C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322old. [I had to
>> > do this step]
>>
>> > c) Delete the following registry keys if they are present:
>> > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\.NETFramework\PendingU

>> > pda tes\v1.1.4322 HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\NET

>> > Framework Setup\NDP\v1.1.4322
>> > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\.NETFramework\policy\v

>> > 1.1 and v2.0 and v3.0 [Start -> Run -> RegEdit.exe]

>> > d) Download Windows Install Cleanup Utility by following
>> > the articlehttp://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301and remove
>> > any other versions of .Net framework showing up in cleanup
>> > utility.
>>
>> > e) Also download the Net Framework cleanup tool from
>> > http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2005/04/08/406671.asp

>> > x and you can download the tool from the left side of the

--
HP, aka Jerry, aka cretin, aka scroundrel, aka liar, unreasonal,
aka all around sonvabitch