Windows update failed (Error number: 0x800A0046)

1 view

Rob

May 12, 2007, 1:10:01 PM5/12/07
For 3 days, I have been unable to perform a microsoft or windows update. keep
getting message to adjust internet explorer "user persistance settings) to
enable which is always set fine, and have even run the guided help for
resolving update problems, but no joy. tried removing IE 7, then reinstalling
- no joy, tried disabling all firewalls, ant-virus, anit-spyware - no joy.
Help...
Rob

TaurArian [MS-MVP]

May 12, 2007, 5:33:44 PM5/12/07
One user who contacted MS received these instructions which appeared to work for him:

<snip>
1. Log on the machine in safe mode as the Administrator (You might be able to do this
without being in safe mode).
2. Rename the directory called SoftwareDistribution in the Windows directory
3. Rename the folder called CATROOT2 in the Windows>System32 directory
4. Reboot and try the Windows update again.
<snip>

It is my opinion that the Automatic Update service should be stopped before undertaking
the above and then restarted when finished.

To stop the Automatic Update service -

Click Start, Choose Run.
In the Run box, type services.msc.
Click OK.
Right-click the Automatic Updates service.
Click Stop.
Stopping the service will take a moment.

You can then try the instructions above recommended by another user who received MS
support.

Don't forget to start the Automatic Updates service when finished
Click Start. Choose Run.
In the Run box, type services.msc.
Click OK.
Right-click the Automatic Updates service.
Click Start.
Starting the service will take a moment.

Try WU again otherwise see the following links

Error message when you visit the Windows Update Web site or the Microsoft Update Web site:
"0x800A0046"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/910338/en-us
One of the following entries may be logged in the %windir%\Windowsupdate.log file:
Date Time 3096 c1c COMAPI WARNING: Unable to listen to self-update/shutdown event
(hr=0X80070005) Date Time 3096 c1c COMAPI WARNING: Unable to establish connection to the
service. (hr=80070005)

You may receive an error message when you search for available updates on the Windows
Update Web site
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=883821

What causes Error 0x800a0046
http://www.updatexp.com/0x800a0046.html

When searching for available updates on the Update site, you receive the 0x800A0046 error.
http://update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/v6/showarticle.aspx?articleid=20&ln=en

--
====================================
TaurArian [MS-MVP] 2005-2007 - Australia

"Rob" <R...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Rob

May 12, 2007, 7:46:03 PM5/12/07
TaurArian: thank you very much - I mean it! I am in middle of painting my
fence, fixing something to eat (I'm starved), and now a shower. I will
definitely try your suggested solutions and let you know outcome. I am truely
bewildered by this since I have tried numerous "solutions" per MS Update
error window. The error starts when i try to do a microsoft update (or a
windows update, doesn't matter since windows update re-directs me to
microsoft update automatically). I've gone thru all the suggested changes &
checks whenI ask Microsoft, so I am at a bit of a loss. Again, Thanks
Rob from Florida