Update KB936181 fails to install

Ken

Aug 15, 2007, 10:06:03 PM8/15/07
Hi everyone,

Update KB936181 will not install. How do I get it to install?

Thanks,

Ken

pizzapieguy

Aug 15, 2007, 10:58:00 PM8/15/07

I am having the same problem. It says it installs, but I keep getting
pop up notices in the system tray telling me it is available to
install. Also, when I explicitly visit the Windows Update site, it
tells me that I can install this update. I've tried installing both
via the popup message and the web site. I also tried downloading the
update on the via the system tray pop up and then chose to shut down
the computer and install the update after windows has logged off in an
effort to avoid any interference. I still get the notices. Has anyone
discovered a fix for this?

Thanks

--
pizzapieguy
pizzapieguy's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=29449

http://forums.techarena.in

Ottmar Freudenberger

Aug 16, 2007, 5:19:57 AM8/16/07
"Ken" <sorry.no@email> schrieb:

> Update KB936181 will not install. How do I get it to install?

Ypu may wanna try downloading and installing the update manually:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=021e12f5-cb46-43df-a2b8-185639ba2807&DisplayLang=en

In case the installation still fails, please post the content of
the error message you're receiving. Having a look into the
"msxml4-KB936181-enu.LOG" file to be found in the Windows folder
may be helpfull too. See also http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936181/
and the "Known issues" section there.

Bye,
Freudi

jaybart

Aug 16, 2007, 9:12:43 AM8/16/07

I too cannot get this update to install.

Have tried repeatedly with auto updates, manual install--nothing works.
Within minutes of "successful installation" message, the tray icon is
back and ready to be downloaded again.

Have tried the Microsoft's website KB936181 method to no avail- namely:
1.) used Add or Remove Programs to delete 936181
2.) deleted Msxml4.dll from windows\system32 folder
3.) used Add or Remove Programs to "repair" the previous version of
Msxml 4.0
which in my case was MsXml 4.0 SP2 (KB927978)

On step three above was stopped midway as the computer could not find
the reference file from which to "repair"--

From here I used system restore to go back to yesterday and tried
again-

This time just using the manual download and install...no effect.

System restore- again.

Next: tried using Add or Remove Programs to remove only the previous
version of Msxml 4.0 SP2 (927978) hopefully in its entirety, expecting
this may resolve the issue based on the Microsoft knowledge base
comment for 936181 that states "Security Update Package 936181 is a
complete installation package...only offered if earlier version of
Msxml 4.0 SP2 is already installed"

The idea being to remove any previous installations, then cover the
security hole with one manual installation of 936181... however even
after uninstalling the previous Msxml version 927978 the yellow shield
icon was back in the tray.. never missing a beat.

Even after re-installing again and re-boot it returns within a few
minutes.

I have had no error messages during installation- the computer isn't
recognizing any errors; simply failing to recognize that this patch has
already been installed.

I have checked for patches for every Office component and updated
accordingly- there are no missing holes in other software packages.

Does anyone have any idea how to finally settle this point?

I live in japan and Ive seen one message board from a japanese
experiencing the same problem- presumably there are a lot more of us
out there, but not much news due to the recent release of this patch?

-any technical wizards out there who know the solution?

Your help is appreciated

JayBart

--
jaybart
jaybart's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=29472

Ottmar Freudenberger

Aug 16, 2007, 10:18:33 AM8/16/07
"jaybart" <jaybart...@DoNotSpam.com> schrieb:

> I too cannot get this update to install.

And which Windows version are you using?
Did you have a look into the "msxml4-KB936181-enu.LOG"?

Bye,
Freudi

jaybart

Aug 17, 2007, 12:16:46 AM8/17/07
Hello Freudi,

Thanks for your response.

I did check the log files- I found two.
One for English (enu)
One for Japanese (jpn)

Regret that I am just a typical PC user, and as such a layman,
reviewing the garbled mass of messages in the log file doesn't clarify
anything to my meager brain.

I am running Windows XP SP2 japanese language version.

I have downloaded and installed 936181 from the MS japan download
center website (no luck installing- but thats where I got it from).

Any ideas? any help is appreciated.

jaybart

Aug 17, 2007, 1:20:05 AM8/17/07

A-HA!

It seems the problem has been resolved- so I'll mention for the benefit
of any other non-tech types like me who look at this board..

In my case, during the trial routines of uninstalling previous versions
(and the current version 936181) using Add or Remove Programs, I
somehow overlooked the little extra program in the Programs list "Msxml
4.0 Parser (0.06mb)" that was positioned immediately below the other
Msxml 4.0 installations.

I've no idea what a Parser is or does, but after deleting this (in
addition to all
previous versions of msxml 4.0 --including 936181-- ) it seems I was
finally able to download and install 936181 correctly using the auto
update function- the annoying yellow shield is gone now, after having
re-booted..and the microsoft update site tells me there are no
outstanding patches needed.

Anyways thats how it was resolved.

Ottmar Freudenberger

Aug 17, 2007, 2:45:44 AM8/17/07
"Bob David" <Bob Da...@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb:

>I am also having this problem. Thanks you for the suggestion. I tried to
> install it manually and got the following error message:
> Could not open key:
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\Msxlm2.DOM Document.4.0\CLSID. Verify
> that you have sufficient access to that key, or contact your support
> personnel.

Which Windows version are you running? If Windows XP, which applications
are running permantly in the background? Please stop any of them and try
reinstalling the update (maybe in Safe Mode).

You may also want to check "Method 2" mentioned for IE7 installation
problems which handles insufficent user rights for accessing/writing
registry keys too: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/917925/en-us

HTH,
Freudi

chand...@gmail.com

Aug 17, 2007, 3:57:43 AM8/17/07

I agree with jaybart, I was also having the same problem, but I didn't
uninstall the Parser (MSXML 6.0 Parser (KB933579)), I just uninstalled
the MSXML 4.0 SP2 (KB936181) and MSXML 4.0 SP2 (KB927978)-the previous
version, and restart, then use auto-update to update the (KB936181)
and problem sloved, in my experience, you must also uninstall the
previous, otherwise it just same.

pizzapieguy

Aug 18, 2007, 3:18:43 PM8/18/07

I went to the KB article about the 936181 update and tried to follow the
procedure in the Known Issues section. I uninstalled 936181, then tried
to delete msxml4.dll in the %SystemRoot%\System32 folder. This file
could not be deleted (in use or protected disk error message).
However, shortly after, the taskbar prompted me to install update
927978 again. After doing this and rebooting, I manually installed
936181 and everything seems to be fine now. I have WinXP SP2 English
language version.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction, Freudi.

--
pizzapieguy
pizzapieguy's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=29449

berendberends

Aug 22, 2007, 6:19:40 AM8/22/07
I wonder if there is anyone who doesn't have problems with this update.

regards

berend

http://www.eggheadcafe.com

twosticks

Aug 22, 2007, 8:24:00 AM8/22/07
Yes. I think it is called "Mac" and/or "Linux." Or "My PC crashed two years
ago..."

Ottmar Freudenberger

Aug 22, 2007, 8:39:58 AM8/22/07
<berend berends> schrieb:

>I wonder if there is anyone who doesn't have problems with this update.

Yes, and I wonder, if there's any Egghead which checks he's posting
into a newsgroup with a defect webinterface (with an even more defective
one than MS's, which isn't easy to accomplish anyhow).

Bye,
Freudi

Tread

Sep 1, 2007, 9:34:01 AM9/1/07
I just got this vista laptop a few days before the last post here, and now
I'm having the same problem. I've read through this thread and none of the
suggestions have helped. Is there anything else I can do? Also, I don't know
how to see the update log, and another update (Windows Update software
7.0.6000.374) failed with an error code of 8024D00F (and there hasn't been a
second attempt). This is frustrating, I've tried the install of the msxml
update 12 times over two weeks.

Ottmar Freudenberger

Sep 1, 2007, 1:16:16 PM9/1/07
"Tread" <Tr...@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb:

>I just got this vista laptop a few days before the last post here, and now
> I'm having the same problem. I've read through this thread and none of the
> suggestions have helped. Is there anything else I can do?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936181 and the Known Issues section
there may help.

> Also, I don't know how to see the update log

Start -> Run -> %windir%\msxml4-KB936181-enu.LOG [Hit [Enter]-Key]

Bye,
Freudi

cmroanirgo

Sep 2, 2007, 9:24:01 AM9/2/07
I too am having this problem. I have tried uninstalling other msxml 4.0
updates (suggested above), but this update doesn't work.

When I go to remove the MSXML 6.0 Parser it indicates that I need to
uninstall MSSQL 2005 Express, which I am reluctant to do (It is installed as
part of my Visual Studio 2005 install and I'll need to fix that again...and
re apply services packs...all for one stupid misbehaving update).

PS: I run as Administrator

PS: I know of several others (that don't have a developer setup) that also
have this issue

fairyreveries

Oct 20, 2007, 10:40:03 AM10/20/07
Sooo as I'm looking through these posts trying to find a solution to the
KB936181 situation I see that I am having all of these issues....none of the
suggestions are helping me either....I've tried uninstalling KB927978 which I
don't have for some reason...also I've uninstalled KB933579 and it did that,
thought I did it and *poof* KB936181 is still there. Now I also have to
contend with getting rid of Office XP Service Pack 3....I got that one when I
was following the article at http://support.microsoft.com/kb936181 as one
person keeps suggesting. This is now getting ridiculous. I want these two
updates gone. Has ANYONE found another solution that they can assist me with
(and please in the non-technicial terms please...) I am at my wits end....

cmroanirgo

Oct 20, 2007, 9:51:00 PM10/20/07
Yes. I did find a solution. Unfortunately, it's messy and involves playing
with your registry settings. This solution of course requires a certain
amount of knowledge of the registry and permissions. (MS support were in awe
of me when I actually found this solution - I found them particularly
incompetent btw).

To check that your problem is the same as mine:
i) Open your registry
ii) go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Msxml2.DomDocument.4.0\CLSID
iii) If it's not there, we have different issues
iv) right-click on 'CLSID' and click 'Permissions...'
v) Look to see if you have 'SYSTEM' there and that it has 'Full Control'
vi) If it is there, we have different issues

If you are still reading...
What appears to be the problem is that in the dim past, some XML installer
used the wrong permissions when it created the keys in the registry. This new
installer uses the 'SYSTEM' account to add/update the values (which it
obviously can't do). The below steps outline how to add 'SYSTEM' account to
those nodes causing problems.

You'll need to do this on all the nodes in the registry similar to
Msxml2.?????.4.0:
The fix, for each node that looks like Msxml2.?????.4.0:
i) right click on Msxml2.?????.4.0 (eg 'Msxml2.DomDocument.4.0')
ii) Click 'Permissions...'
iii) Click 'Advanced'
iv) Hopefully you'll see 'SYSTEM' there. If you don't you'll need to add it
v) Select 'SYSTEM'
vi) Select 'Replace permission entries on all child objects...' and OK
vii) If any confirmation message appear, accept them.
viii) You should be able to run the tests mentioned above again and now see
'SYSTEM' there with full permissions.
ix) repeat for all nodes (there's a dozen or so of them)

Done! Try re-running KB936181 setup again. It should now install correctly.

Disclaimer:
If you do not understand these steps, then I suggest you ask someone you
know with sufficient IT skills to apply these changes.
I take no responsibility for any one's incompetance relating to applying
these fixes. If you screw up, it's your own fault. Not mine.
Then again, blame MS for leaving us with this mess in the first place.

I honestly hope however, that this resolves your problem. Good luck!!!

Perhaps some dimwit at MS might come across this fix and create a little
'hot fix' of their own that remedies this permission issue. If the do...then
they should thank the general public for this fix and that their 'hot fix'
just automates the steps. Otherwise, i'll seriously consider legal action for
the pain and angst this has caused the general public.
[I also have copious notes with MS support which clearly describes how
poorly they were able to diagnose this problem and generate a suitable fix.
As you can probably tell, I'm rather vexed with MS]

fairyreveries

Oct 21, 2007, 11:54:01 AM10/21/07
Although your efforts were valiant, it did not work. I did everything you
suggested and it still does not update. Also, I want to know why do I have
Office XP Service Pack 3 to install? Thanks again and I hope that someone
somewhere in MS Land will fix this stupid thing soon.

peterjansz

Oct 22, 2007, 5:41:26 PM10/22/07
I did all the exercises for all Msxml2????.4.0 entries in the registry as described in Update KB926181 will not install - cmroaming 20-oct-07 09:51:00

I checked for each Msxml2????.4.0 SYSTEM entry in the registry the checkbox
"Replace permission entries on all child objects .." (In the Dutch language the wording is different. I assume that this is the second line checkbox for each SYSTEM entry).

By the way: looking back on pages where I checked the checkbox I see that the checked checkbox returned into unchecked. I do not know why.

After these exercises I started the update. At the end I got the confirmation that the update was succesfull and that no more updates are waiting.

Hurrah it happend. I got rid of the repeated Update KB936181.
But than, closing Vista, I get again the message that an update is waiting. And what a suprise it is the horrible Update KB936181 which is back again.

I AM GETTING SICK from this MICROSOFT.

Question: What can/shold I do ...?

peterjansz

Oct 22, 2007, 5:42:05 PM10/22/07

cmroanirgo

Oct 23, 2007, 6:01:02 AM10/23/07
Yes, this is because your machine had already downloaded the update. I
presume that once you had rebooted, the problem has gone away?

If not, just install the update again. It should be OK after that

You can verify that Windows Update won't bug you again, by going to the
Windows Update site and seeing that KB936181 is indeed gone.

If it's still there, i'm sorry. something else must be going on.

omar

Oct 25, 2007, 1:20:55 AM10/25/07
I followed same method as chandler22 (except I had a total of 3 versions of MSXML 4.0 SP2 to un-install). Once complete, I was able to get KB936181 to install w/ no problems - and no more persistent "updates ready to install". Thanks chandler22.

Lcreech

Nov 17, 2007, 5:11:29 PM11/17/07
I tried the methods above and continued to get the message that kb936181 successfully installed with it persisting in the updates. I saw this on another site and it worked for me (Vista Ultimate Home edition)

Uninstall then Reinstall KB948133 then recheck for updates. All is finally well for me.
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/thankyou.aspx?familyId=46a30073-c3df-473b-99e4-66380a5cc117&displayLang=en

bornduck

Dec 28, 2007, 11:53:01 PM12/28/07

juliebear

Jan 3, 2008, 2:34:00 PM1/3/08

juliebear

Jan 3, 2008, 2:41:00 PM1/3/08
Hi Freudi!

I use automatic updates to do my installations and when the latest update
was installed, I received the message "Some updates could not be installed".
The message goes on to state: The following updates were not installed:
Security Update for Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 Service Pack 2 (KB936181)

When I read your post, I tried your first suggestion and it seems to have
solved the problem. I used the link that you provided, downloaded the update,
and chose repair on the selection menu when asked. Seems OK so far. I don't
know if this will help anyone else.

Just wanted to say thanks! Happy New Year!

Juliebear

nguyen@discussions.microsoft.com long nguyen

Sep 17, 2008, 5:21:03 PM9/17/08

hi i just found a solution, just wonder if it works for u but it definitely
worked for me
so, u uninstall kb936181 from add and remove program then wait for the auto
update to prompt for install kb936181. then do the same with any update that
needs to be updated.
Hope it helps
"Ken" wrote:

> Hi everyone,

> Update KB936181 will not install. How do I get it to install?
>

> Thanks,
>
> Ken

beaunic

Nov 5, 2008, 10:17:01 AM11/5/08
I use Vista Home Basic and am also having trouble with KB936181. I have tried
installing on five different occasions, but each time it aborts. I tried MS
Help, which redirected me to KB941833. I tried that, and got a message saying
'Error opening installation log file. Verify that the specified log file
location exists and is writable'.
What do I do now?
--
beaunic