wuauclt/srvchost at 100% today

mtrox

May 9, 2007, 11:26:00 AM5/9/07
I know there are new updates, but as of this morning when wuauclt starts up,
the srvchost associated with it pins itself at 100% and stays there making
the computer fairly unusable. It's been there for about a half hour now and
no updates come down.

So far my only solution is to reboot and quickly un-check auto updates
before wuauclt gets wound up.

Is this a common problem or just some corruption on my side?

Ch

May 9, 2007, 11:46:01 AM5/9/07
Check this...it's a fix for a fix so read it carefully. HTH...

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927891/

BruceJo

May 9, 2007, 2:18:00 PM5/9/07
I am experiencing this right now on 3 machines (1 work & 2 at home).
Starting last evening all of my machines started pegging svchost.exe. I
narrowowed it down to the Automatic updates executable path:
"C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs"

When I disable this, my machine comes back (svchost.exe goes back to 0% of
CPU)

I tried the fix "Ch" gave, but it did not affect this issue.

MowGreen [MVP]

May 9, 2007, 2:32:56 PM5/9/07
Please see:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/blogs/mowgreen/index.php?showentry=1071

Suggest you first try the the steps posted May 4th at the top of the
article .

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2007]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

mtrox

May 9, 2007, 2:57:02 PM5/9/07
Thanks Mow. I've had a few clients who open right up to Outlook and think
they have an Outlook problem. Turns out it's this. It just eats your
computer for at least a half an hour....

Jim Byrd

May 9, 2007, 5:12:19 PM5/9/07
Hi mtrox - This is the current recommended fix:

Even if you're not still having problems, this would be a good idea:

- The newly released 'standalone' version of Windows Update Agent 3.0, v.
7.0.6000.374, for 32 bit machines is available here:
http://download.windowsupdate.com/v7/windowsupdate/redist/standalone/WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe

It may say "Install is not needed since Windows Update Agent is
already installed." If so, then run the exe with the command line switch
/wuforce , like this:

WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe /wuforce

to force the install.

- You will also need to install or re-install the updated KB927891, here:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=927891 for a complete fix.

- For those using Windows Servers - Courtesy of Bobby Harter, Program
Manager, WSUS, Microsoft, WSUS 3.0 was released on April 30th and is
avaialble now on the Microsoft Download Center. Full information,
documentation, samples and links to the bits can be found here:
http://www.microsoft.com/wsus. WSUS 3.0 RC will be supported until May 31st
2007 - WSUS 3.0 supports upgrade of WSUS 2.0 SP1 and WSUS 3.0 RC.

- One MS recommended procedure is:

"1. Install the Windows Update Agent (WUA) for all the client computers
(both WSUS client and stand alone workstation)
2. Install the Update for Windows XP (KB927891) for all the client
computers (both WSUS client and stand alone workstation)
3. Upgrade the WSUS Server to version 3.0"

However, I've also seen a posting by MS which states that once the WSUS
client has been updated with the new Agent and KB927891 and then upgraded to
WSUS 3.0, it will then handle updating the others.

- The MS WSUS team believes that this solves all three 'svchost' problems
that folks have been experiencing. See here:
http://blogs.technet.com/wsus/archive/2007/04/28/update-on.aspx

- Note that you may _still_ see high svchost usage, but with these new
components the machine should, however, remain responsive:

From a posting by Sudheer GN of Microsoft -

"Hi,
The biggest difference in WSUS 3.0 client (wrt performance) is that the
machines will still be responsive when WU client scans for updates. There
are also some optimization to reduce the number of update evaluations and
that will reduce the scan time in some scenarios.
It is still expected that CPU usage will be high so that the scan can
complete in lesser amount of time. But other applications can be launched
and used (they will still be a little sluggish because CPU is being shared
with WU client)

--
Sudheer GN
Microsoft, WU Client

This posting is provided "As Is" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm"

--
Regards, Jim Byrd,
My Blog, Defending Your Machine,