Update icon won't leave after successful update of KB923723

Kim

Feb 20, 2007, 11:21:05 AM2/20/07
I have the yellow update warning on my screen and clicked it many times to
install the updates. Everytime it confirms that I successfully updated my
computer but the yellow icon comes back within 30 seconds. My update history
shows about 15 successful updates of the KB923723 over the last week. How do
I get rid off the icon. I did restart and shut off many times too. I even
downloaded the update directly from the Microsoft side after the search for
updates turned up saying I still needed it...

AllenM

Feb 20, 2007, 12:03:16 PM2/20/07
Try turning off Auto Updates reboot and then if you choose to you can turn
Auto Updates back on.

"Kim" <K...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Kim

Feb 20, 2007, 12:33:18 PM2/20/07
I tried to cancel auto updates and rebooted and turned it back on and the
icon came right back... any more ideas?

AllenM

Feb 20, 2007, 2:21:15 PM2/20/07
Maybe I left out a step. Sorry about that. Turn off Auto Updates. Reboot. Do
a manual Windows Update or MS Update. Reboot then turn Auto Updates back on.
Personally myself I do not like using AU on the workstations because most of
my users will freak out and start calling and asking what they should do.
IMHO if you do not use a WSUS server to push out your updates then you
should turn off AU. Luckily for me I only need to be concerned with about 15
workstations.

"Kim" <K...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Kim

Feb 20, 2007, 7:09:02 PM2/20/07
Thanks for the try... I tried that too and it came right back agian... What I
don't understand in the first place is why the update installs and confirms
successful instalation but if you do the scan for updates it shows you need
that one even though it should be in. In the history it also shows all the
successful insatllations I attempted. No wonder it prompts for new updates if
it still can't find it on my computer. So where is the catch. I can't update
or the icon doesn't leave??
PS. I also really don't know much about computers - so any answer in not so
technical language is very appreciated.

TaurArian [MS-MVP]

Feb 21, 2007, 4:05:59 AM2/21/07
How to troubleshoot Windows Update or Microsoft Update when you are repeatedly offered an
update
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=910339

--

====================================
TaurArian [MS-MVP] 2005-2007 - Australia

"Kim" <K...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

James M.

Feb 21, 2007, 8:37:14 AM2/21/07

Sometimes the reason updates will continually prompt you is because
there is an update that supersedes it that needs to be installed. In
the case of this update there is one superseded update. Try
downloading it and installing it.
It is KB898458.

A.@discussions.microsoft.com Bill A.

Feb 22, 2007, 1:11:20 PM2/22/07
I have the same problem that Kim is having. I was on the phone with
Microsoft for over two hours and they could no sove it either. I tried
downlading KB898458 and it does the same thing that KB923723 does - goes thru
the motion, says it is installed yet it is not in the 'add and remove
programs'. Scanning the Internet, I see several people having the same
problem. Anyone have a solution?

Kim

Feb 27, 2007, 6:38:11 PM2/27/07
This is what finally helped me:

In regard to the KB923723 re-offer issue, it can be caused if the special
file lrun32.exe has not been upgrade successfully. Therefore, rename
lrun32.exe in C:\ProgramFiles\Mspress\Training and then install KB923723 to
test the issue.

Rename the lrun32.exe
==========================
1. Close all the open windows.
2. Open My Computer.
3. Navigate to C:\ProgramFiles\Mspress\Training.
4. Find the lrun32.exe, right-click on it, and select Rename. Change the
name to lrun32.old. Make sure you press Enter after typing in the new name so
the changes are executed.

Download the update from the following link:
=======================================
1. Please visit the following link

http://download.microsoft.com/download/d/1/f/d1f5240c-0c9d-43fc-83f5-98490d9635d6/StepByStepInteractiveTraining-KB923723-x86-ENU.exe

2. When the File download window appears, please click the Save button, and
save the file StepByStepInteractiveTraining-KB923723-x86-ENU.exe to the
Desktop.

3. Please locate the file StepByStepInteractiveTraining-KB923723-x86-ENU.exe
on the Desktop.
4. Double click the file to install the update.

Good Luck!

derrjd

Mar 2, 2007, 10:30:17 AM3/2/07
Lrun.exe is not in C:\ProgramFiles\Mspress\Training on my computer. I do not
have that folder on my computer. (I have a Dell Inspiron 5160 running Windows
XP SP2.) I ran a search and the only place the file is found is in
C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\Download\250311a8847333e62d3df31d73fcbfdc.

My Microsoft Interactive Training files are in folder
C:\WINDOWS\Help\SBSI\Training. The main EXE file in this folder is
orun32.exe, not lrun.exe. The phrase "Step By Step" is not listed in the
Start Menu only Microsoft Interactive Training. Yet, in the Add or Remove
Programs there is a listing: "Security Update for Step By Step Interactive
Training..." (both KB898458 and KB923723) under "Microsoft Learning -
Software Updates".

Should I still rename the lrun.exe file in
C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\Download\250311a8847333e62d3df31d73fcbfdc ?
Is the KB923723 update even for the "training software" on my computer? If
not, why does MS Update say that it is?

harasataM

Mar 2, 2007, 6:34:59 PM3/2/07
I had similar problems, and the same experiences to resolve it over and over
again, My ISP pass the buck. I resolved most of it by restoring my PC to an
earlier date before the downloading date as Dell suggested. However, WARNING,
remember to back-up your PC files and programs before restoring. I have only
one problem to resolve now how can I get the "Run" back on my desktop or
Start Menu.
--
harasataM