BITS Error 2147024894 Win2Ksp4

MJOC

Jul 29, 2005, 9:40:03 PM7/29/05
I am running W2K Pro SP4. I am trying to get WU's and am getting the dreaded
BITS 2147024894 error. I have tried all of the following:

I have scanned for viruses and adware.

I have checked the security setting on the Downloader folder aqnd the .dat
files in it and both administrators and system have full control.

I have deleted the Downloader folder and tried to start BITS. The folder
was recreated, but the /dat files were not.

I have registered both qmgr.dll and qmgrprxy.dll.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled BITS via the DOS prompt.

I have run SFC /scannow to make sure all system files are the correct version.

Does anyone know what else I can do to get my BITS running? I am going nuts
here.
--
Michael O'Connor

Terry Swift

Jul 30, 2005, 12:51:02 PM7/30/05
Michael,

Do a search in this forum for the Error Code. There are several messages
that have dealt with this particular code at length. If you have tried all
of those fixes, the next avenue is to log a ticket with Microsoft Tech
Support (which is what I have done) and its FREE. It done thru email, so
it's a bit slow; but they'll go thru the troubleshooting tree with you to try
and resolve the issue with you. I've not gotten my W2K BITS issue fixed yet,
but hopefully will soon.

Terry

MJOC

Jul 30, 2005, 2:52:02 PM7/30/05
AS I stated in my post, I have tried everything I have found on this forum
and others to no avail. What is the procedure for logging a free ticket with
MS?
--
Michael OConnor

yesnaby

Jul 30, 2005, 8:29:02 PM7/30/05
I had this for weeks and MS tech support could not fix it. I finally got it
to work by first installing BITS 1.5 (from the MS download site) and then
installing BITS 2.0 (MS Hotfix 842773). Good luck!

MJOC

Jul 31, 2005, 9:03:01 PM7/31/05
I tried your suggestion, but it did not work either. Is there any way to
competely uninstall BITS? It would be nice is MS put together a BITS repair
tool.
--
Michael OConnor

yesnaby

Aug 1, 2005, 1:16:27 PM8/1/05
Hello Michael,

I am sorry it did not work for you. Don't know whether it is possible to
completely uninstall the BITS service.
I found my 'trick' only because I have 2 computers running W2K. I compared
the registry of the one that would not run BITS with the 'good' one and found
that very many registry entries were missing. (Don't know what they mean
though, great long strings of letters and numbers!) When I installed BITS 1.5
these registry entries were created, and then BITS 2.0 worked when it was
installed.
Yes, it would be good if MS would issue a BITS guidebook ...

Michael

SEH

Aug 4, 2005, 8:33:46 PM8/4/05
Mike, (et. al.)

Running W2K?SP4. Following your suggestion, did a little
experimentation.

Downloded Bits 1.5, And installed. The problem immediately cleared.

De-installed, then re-installed MS Hotfix 842773. The BITS service ran for
a few moments, then stopped with the it's now infamous Error message.

Reinstalled 1.5, and the Problem again cleared.

Inital Hypothesis: there is a problem with MS Hotfix 842773 running under
W2K/SP4.

Suggested (and legally, this is only a suggestion, act at your own
discesion) interium fix: De-install MS Hotfix 842773, and re-install 1.5
until MS gets around to repairing the problem with respect to W2K/SP4.

SEH

MJOC

Aug 7, 2005, 7:03:02 PM8/7/05
Uninstalling 842773 did get my BITS to works again, but the new Windows
Update won't run at all without 842773 The first thing widows updates does
is reinstall 842773. If you don't install it, it won't find any other
updates. Since the only purpose for BITS is to run Windows Updates, there is
no point in uninstalling the update just to get BITS to start.
--
Michael OConnor

MJOC

Aug 16, 2005, 10:34:01 PM8/16/05
Just wanted to let everyone know that I have finally solved this problem.
Narayana at MS helped me via email. I was missing the following key in the
registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\BackupRestore\FilesNotToBackup

I added the key and BITS started right up!
--
Michael OConnor

sas04....@marktab.com

Aug 23, 2005, 3:07:41 AM8/23/05
MJOC wrote:
> Just wanted to let everyone know that I have finally solved this problem.
> Narayana at MS helped me via email. I was missing the following key in the
> registry:
>
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\BackupRestore\FilesNotToBackup
>
> I added the key and BITS started right up!
> --
> Michael OConnor

Hi Michael

Thanks for this solution -- it worked for me too, and ended a five hour
project to update one laptop.

I am posting a follow-up note so that other people might find this
solution.

OS: Microsoft XP Professional SP2

I have a Microsoft Action Pack agreement with my business, and have 10
possible copies of Windows XP Professional for use. Two of the copies
have worked fine, but one copy has not automatically updated between
July 5 and August 23.

I was alerted to the fact that Automatic Updates was broken while I was
applying other non-Microsoft updates to the computer. In the log, it
showed over 70 attempts to automatically download updates in the weeks
between July 5 and August 23. Like many people, I was receiving the
Download Updates 0% message in the Windows tray.

In my case, going to the website would not help because the updates
were never listed either under the Express or the Custom button. Based
on other user experience, I found a link to the How to Tell website:
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/ww/windows/default.mspx

Windows was attempting to download a single file, the Genuine
Authentication Tool, and was never successful. Going to the above link
allowed for downloading the ActiveX tool to make that step work. It is
unclear to me how legal and activated operating system software was not
able to additionally validate, but this experience appears to be common
with many users.

Next, the problems then centered on the %windir%/SoftwareDistribution/
subdirectory, and the file ReportingEvents.log contains the error codes
which led to my specific solution.

The failed Windows Update downloads carried the code 80246008 and also
80248014 errors. I was also seeing the -2147024894 code in the error
box when Windows Update would fail.

The key to the solution is the BITS service, where BITS stands for
Background Intelligent Transfer Service. If you do Start, Run..., and
type in services.msc, you should be able to manually start this
service. It apparently does not run all the time but is triggered by
certain events, including Windows Update v6.

I did two things to restore BITS and allow Windows Update v6 to
complete.

1. Went to
Documents and Settings/All Users/Application
Data/Microsoft/Network/Downloader and deleted the two data files there.
The dates for those two files was July 5, which happened to be the
last time the Automatic Updater worked. (If you are not sure about
deleting files, then simply move them to another folder.)

2. I applied the fix which Michael mentions above. Editing the
registry is started with running regedt32.exe, navigating to that key,
and adding the "FilesNotToBackup" as a key (it graphically appears as a
folder). I did NOT add values inside this key, but simply the key
itself.

3. Windows Update works after that, and Windows applied values into the
new registry key, including the location of the Downloader folder.

4. I recommend NOT turning on Automatic Updates by schedule -- you can
change the options in Control Panel, and Automatic Updates, to the
recommended option "Notify me but don't automatically download or
install them." This option makes the user actively participate in the
updating process, and nothing happens until a person says it is OK.
This solution is recommended because the causes for why BITS failed is
not known, and it could be any one of Microsoft software products. In
my case, I had gone for 7 weeks with no critical updates to either
Windows XP or Microsoft Office 2003 (including Microsoft Outlook and
Outlook Express), which is an unacceptable situation. The log does
show failures, but the automatic nature made them actively invisible
except for the periodic "Downloaded Updates 0%" tool tip message (which
would disappear after the attempted download failed, at which point a
new entry in the log would be made). When the updates are done by
notification, then a monitoring person knows that there is an important
process needing to run, and the opportunity to allow these critical
updates to happen without interrupting them with other work, especially
by running Microsoft applications while Windows Update is attempting to
work.

JOHNBG.

Nov 2, 2005, 1:16:11 PM11/2/05
My apologies for troubling you further on this complex subject. I too have
the Bits error above as well as 0x80246008.I have tried to follow the
solutions posted but could someone please give more details on how to -'edit
the registry,navigating to that key-add Filesnot tobackup.Can you give a step
by step guide for dummies-please?
--
JOHNBG.

Torgeir Bakken (MVP)

Nov 3, 2005, 6:05:06 AM11/3/05
JOHNBG. wrote:

> My apologies for troubling you further on this complex subject. I too have
> the Bits error above as well as 0x80246008.I have tried to follow the
> solutions posted but could someone please give more details on how to -'edit
> the registry,navigating to that key-add Filesnot tobackup.Can you give a step
> by step guide for dummies-please?

Hi,

Please try this:

Start Regedit.exe (from Start/Run)

Locate the registry key

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\BackupRestore\

Create the following key if it does not exist:
FilesNotToBackup

so you have this path when finished:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control
\BackupRestore\FilesNotToBackup\

Now see if BITS will start.

--
torgeir, Microsoft MVP Scripting, Porsgrunn Norway
the 1328 page Scripting Guide: