RE: Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework Fails

1 view

Don

Apr 10, 2005, 4:13:02 PM4/10/05
I encountered the exact same problem about a month ago. I still haven't got a
solution ... I was hoping to find one on this board. I'll keep looking
through the 362 pages of posts. If anyone has solved this problem please
Thanks, in advance.

"Ron" wrote:

> I receive the following error when I attempt to install the update.
>
> Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework, Version 1.1 Service Pack 1
> (KB886903)
>
> XP Pro, Service Pack 2, 640 MB RAM

Ben B. [US]

Apr 10, 2005, 4:26:35 PM4/10/05
What is the error you receive. Is an error code given? If so please post it
here.

--
Ben B. [US]

"Ron" <R...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Mark P

Apr 10, 2005, 4:37:01 PM4/10/05
I am also encountering the same exact problem with .net framework version 1.1
service pack 1. Also I get the same failed problem when I try to update
security update (KB888113)

Ben B. [US]

Apr 10, 2005, 4:42:19 PM4/10/05
Do you get any error messages?

--
Ben B. [US]

"Mark P" <Ma...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Ron

Apr 10, 2005, 4:59:02 PM4/10/05
It is a window that opens titled 'Automatic Updates'. In it is the following:
Updates were unable to be successfully installed.
The following updates were not installed:

Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework, Version 1.1 Service Pack 1
(KB886903)

When I attempt to do it manually by going to the Windows Update website, not
only does the above update fail but the Microsoft .NET Framework 1.0 Service
Pack 3, English Version also fails. The only difference between the two
methods is that the manual one lists both items failing.

Ron

Ron

Apr 10, 2005, 5:03:02 PM4/10/05
In going to View Installation History and clicking on the 'Failure' Status, I
get the following:

Error Code: 66A Try to install the update again, or request help from one of
the following resources. Windows Update Response Center, Windows Update
Troubleshooter, Windows Update Newsgroups. For assisted support options:
Microsoft Online Assisted Support (no-cost for Windows Update issues)

Ron

Don

Apr 10, 2005, 6:23:06 PM4/10/05
Ron:
Run a search for "KB886903" in "Windows Update General". It yielded several
workarounds for the problem. It looks like there is an error in the security
update to .net which not only causes problems in some installs but also
creates issues for developers after they successfully install the update. I
may elect to "do nothing" until Microsoft gets a real working fix released.
Hope this helps.

Ben B. [US]

Apr 10, 2005, 10:33:21 PM4/10/05

Taurarian

Apr 11, 2005, 7:14:04 AM4/11/05
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;824643
How to troubleshoot Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 installation issues

Ron

Apr 11, 2005, 12:31:02 PM4/11/05
Taurarian,

I followed all the detailed steps in this article and it did no good
whatsoever. Thanks for attempting to help.

Ron

Ron

Apr 11, 2005, 11:11:03 AM4/11/05
Ben,

I received the following error when installing this file:

The upgrade patch cannot be installed by the Windows Installer service
because the program to be upgraded may be missing, or the upgrade patch may
update a different version of the program. Verify that the program to be
upgraded exists on your computer and that you have the correct upgrade patch.

Mark P

Apr 11, 2005, 6:02:01 PM4/11/05
Has anybody tried this???

Perhaps this posting by Pat Walters (MSFT) may assist:-

Courtesy of: Pat Walters [MSFT]

Sometimes patches can prompt for the original installation media (asking the
user for
the location of netfx.msi). This can happen when MSI determines that the
original
product has missing or corrupt files, which are not included in the patch
package.

Repairing or reinstalling the original product fixes this issue, so in your
case, we
specifically need to repair the .NET Framework 1.1.

If you already have the .NET Framework 1.1 installation package, feel free
to skip this section to step 9:
Microsoft .NET Framework Version 1.1 Redistributable Package
1. Please click the following link or copy and paste it into your Internet
browser address window:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=262d25e3-f589-4842-8157-034d1e7cf3a3&displaylang=en
2. Please click the Download button and save it to a directory you will
remember.
3. Please uncheck the box "Close this dialog box when download is complete"
4. Click Start
5. Click Run
6. Type: cmd <Enter>
7. In the Command Prompt, type: cd (target directory path)
8. Verify you are in the correct directory for this file by typing: dir
dotnetfx.exe <Enter> and make sure it lists the file.

Repairing .NET Framework:

9. Still in the command line, and now in the proper directory, type: del /y
%temp%\* <Enter>
10. Type or copy and paste the following:
dotnetfx.exe /t:%temp% /c:"msiexec.exe /fvecms %temp%\netfx.msi" <Enter>
(note: be sure to use the quotes.)

For example:
dotnetfx.exe /t:%temp% /c:"msiexec.exe /fvecms %temp%\netfx.msi"

11. Please try to install the update KB886903 from your direct download one
more time, and let us know if this works out for you.

Gordie

Apr 11, 2005, 9:00:16 PM4/11/05
I had a similar problem and the solution was in first running Windows
Installer Clean up to remove the damaged .NET Framework since it refused to
uninstall using the add/remove programs route.
Once that was taken care of, a new download of dotnetfx.exe (and its'
service pack 1)
went in without any glitches. Then returned to Windows update and applied
the patch (KB 886903) without a problem.

Good luck!

"Mark P" <Ma...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Mark P

Apr 12, 2005, 1:59:02 AM4/12/05
( I stumpled across this somewhere here in the community,good thing I cut and
paste this and sent it to my-self in a email, "THIS WORKED FOR ME")

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=a8f5654f-088e-40b2-bbdb-a83353618b38&DisplayLang=en
> (dont install yet)
>
> 4. Run Windows Clean-Up and remove the defective .net framework, Reboot.
>
> 5. Go to the start menu, then run. Type in "msconfig" and set it to
> Diagnostic and then reboot to prevent other software from getting in the
way
> of the install.
>
> 6. Run dotnetfx.exe for a fresh new .net install
>
> 7. Run NDP1.1sp1-KB867460-X86.exe, it will prompt that its already
> installed, do it anyways.

> 9. Run the regular windows update thru website or automatic service.
>
> It should now do the update that previously resulted in errors. Good luck!

Ben B. [US]

Apr 12, 2005, 10:03:32 AM4/12/05

Ron

Apr 12, 2005, 10:19:01 PM4/12/05
I have been working with a MS technician on a service request for this issue.
Here is a detailed log of what I did at his recommendation. It resulted in:

Microsoft .NET Framework, Version 1.1, Service Pack 1 – Installed
Successfully.
Microsoft .NET Framework 1.0 Service Pack 3, English Version - Installation
Failed.

So there is positive progress.

I hope this helps others.

Ron

Joshua,

I appreciate the time and effort you are expending to assist me. Here are
the results, step-by-step, of following your instructions:

Step One.1 – Went to Add/Remove Programs. There were two Microsoft .NET
Framework 1.1 entries. I removed one and when I attempted to remove the
second one, I received this message: “This action is only valid for products
that are currently installed.”

Step One.2 – Installation of msicuu.exe successful.

Step One.3 – Ran Windows Install Cleanup

Step One.4 – There were no Microsoft .NET Framework entries listed.

Step Two.1 – Restarted Windows

Step Two.2 – Brought up startup menu.

Step Two.3 – Selected Safe Mode

Step Two.4 – Logged on as Administrator

Step Two.5 – Deleted the folder C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET

Step Two.6 – Deleted the folder C:\WINDOWS\system32\URTTemp

Step Two.7 – Could not rename mscoree.dll to mscoree.old because it did not
exist in the C:\Windows\System32 folder.

Step Two.8 – Restart computer in Normal Mode

Step Three.1 – Downloaded and attempted to install the Microsoft .NET
Framework Version 1.1 Redistributable Package. It installed to just after
‘Removing backup files’ then displayed the following error message in a
window titled “.NET Framework Initialization Error’: “To run this
application, you first must install one of the following versions of the .Net
Framework: v1.0.3705. Contact your application publisher for instructions
about obtaining the appropriate version of the .Net Framework.” After
clicking ‘OK’ the ‘Removing backup files’ continued and then I received the
following message in a “Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Setup” window:
“Installation of Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 is complete.” I have Visual
Studio .NET 2003 installed on this machine. Does that make a difference?

Step Three.2 – Downloaded .NET Framework 1.1 Service Pack 1 and decided to
see if the Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 installed in spite of the error
received in the previous step. When I attempted to install Microsoft .NET
Framework 1.1 Service Pack 1 (KB867460) I received the following message:
“Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Service Pack 1 (KB867460) is already installed.
Do you want to reinstall in on Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1?” I selected
‘OK’. The installation claimed to have successfully installed. It required a
system restart.

Step Three.3 – Downloaded and ran KB886903. It stated that it was
successfully installed. It required a system restart. Following the restart,
the Automatic Updates indicator remained in the Notification Area of the
Taskbar. I clicked on it and selected ‘Express Install’. The icon
disappeared. I then went to the Windows Update website and checked for
updates using Custom Install. The only one available was Microsoft .NET
Framework 1.0 Service Pack 3, English Version. I told it to install. It
failed.

So, at this point:

Microsoft .NET Framework, Version 1.1, Service Pack 1 – Installed
Successfully.
Microsoft .NET Framework 1.0 Service Pack 3, English Version – Install Failed.

Thanks for your continued assistance.

Ron

> [...]
> you may directly send emails to my account.
>
> After reviewing the case log, I understand that Security Update for Microsoft .NET
> Framework, Version 1.1 Service Pack 1 (KB886903) and Microsoft .NET Framework 1.0
> Service Pack 3, English Version failed to install. If I have misunderstood, please feel free to
> correct me.
>
> Ronn, I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience that you have experienced. Please be
> assured that as a Windows Update Support Professional, I will try my best to help you.
>
> This behavior is most likely caused by a previous failed installation of .NET Framework. At
> this time, let's refer to the following steps to get this issue resolved.
>
> NOTE: Microsoft has already released a new version of .Net Framework 1.1. In order to
> help you get a more stable system. I suggest we try the following steps to uninstall all
> versions of .Net framework and then reinstall the .Net Framework 1.1 and its update.
>
> Step One:
>
> 1. Go to Add or Remove Programs, try to remove all .NET Framework.
> 2. Please download and install the Windows Installer Cleanup utility from this link:
> http://download.microsoft.com/download/E/9/D/E9D80355-7AB4-45B8-80E8-
> 983A48D5E1BD/msicuu2.exe
>
> 3. Then, please run it from Start-> All Programs-> Windows Install Clean Up.
> 4. Please remove all Microsoft .NET Framework shown there and click Remove.
>
> Step Two:
>
> 1. Restart your computer.
> 2. While your computer is booting up, press F8 to invoke the startup menu.
> 3. In the startup menu, choose Safe Mode.
> 4. Log on as an administrator.
>
> Note: In Safe Mode, your system display and Desktop will look and perform differently
> than in Normal Mode. This is only temporary.
>
> 5. Delete the folder C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET
> 6. Delete the folder C:\WINDOWS\system32\URTTemp
> 7. In the C:\Windows\System32 folder, locate the file mscoree.dll. Right click the rename it
> to mscoree.old
> 8. Restart your computer to Normal Mode
>
> Step Three:
>
> 1. Please download the Microsoft .NET Framework Version 1.1 Redistributable Package
> from the following link and install it again:
>
> http://download.microsoft.com/download/a/a/c/aac39226-8825-44ce-90e3-
> bf8203e74006/dotnetfx.exe
>
> 2. If .NET Framework 1.1 can be successfully installed, we can go on to install .NET
> Framework 1.1 Service Pack 1:
>
> Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Service Pack 1
> http://download.microsoft.com/download/8/b/4/8b4addd8-e957-4dea-bdb8-
> c4e00af5b94b/NDP1.1sp1-KB867460-X86.exe
>
> 3. If the above two can be installed correctly, please download KB886903 from the
> following link and install again:
> http://download.windowsupdate.com/msdownload/update/v3-
> 19990518/cabpool/NDP1.1sp1-KB886903-X86_71e9691c7ac7576dd00edc308378146.exe
>
> Thank you for your time. I am standing by for your reply.

Ron

Apr 14, 2005, 9:43:12 AM4/14/05
Joshua provided the following solution and the issue is resolved.

Ron

----------

Joshua,

I successfully completed the four steps listed below. When I went to Windows
Update, the Microsoft .NET Framework 1.0 Service Pack 3 failed due to not
having Microsoft .NET Framework 1.0 installed. I went to Microsoft.com and
downloaded and installed the Microsoft .NET Framework SDK 1.0a (I also have
Visual Studio .NET 2003 installed on that machine.) Following a reboot I went
to Windows Update. This time the Microsoft .NET Framework 1.0 Service Pack 3
update succeeded.

Thanks for your assistance.

Ron

Jul 23, 2005, 8:24:03 PM7/23/05
I tried that and it didn't work for me, I know my net frame files are all in
a mess. And can't install or uninstall. I had versions 1.0 and 1.1. Ver1.1
shows it to be on there. Updates finds both versions. Neither update will
install re: patch can't find msi. Looks for JIT Debugger. Don't know what
to do.

Bob

Jul 24, 2005, 6:26:51 AM7/24/05

"snookie" <sno...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

>I tried that and it didn't work for me, I know my net frame files are all
>in
> a mess. And can't install or uninstall. I had versions 1.0 and 1.1. Ver1.1
> shows it to be on there. Updates finds both versions. Neither update will
> install re: patch can't find msi. Looks for JIT Debugger. Don't know
> what
> to do.
Have you tried the following, this is the only fix that worked for me:

1. Download Windows Install Clean-Up program at

Windows Cleanup:

[...]

HTH,
Bob

MD-11 Driver

Dec 4, 2005, 7:15:03 PM12/4/05
Check out post on how to install .NET Framework installation failure (KB886903)