Downloaded updates fail to install

SourdoughPlus

Jan 6, 2009, 7:52:02 PM1/6/09
8Security update for Windows XP (KB951698) Error code 0x8007F117. Review of
update history shows thousands of downloaded updates which have not
installed. Computer set to Automatic Updates. Install time set to 3:00 a.m.
daily but, even though computer is running (offline) no installation occurs.

XP Home operating system installed at time of purchase by retailer who is
now out of business.

Shenan Stanley

Jan 6, 2009, 8:14:49 PM1/6/09

Start button --> RUN and type in:
%SystemRoot%\system32\net stop wuauserv
--> Click OK.

Start button --> RUN and type in:
%SystemRoot%\system32\regsvr32 %SystemRoot%\system32\wups2.dll
--> Click OK.

Start button --> RUN and type in:
%SystemRoot%\system32\net start wuauserv
--> Click OK.

... and save it to the root of your C:\ drive. After saving it to the root
of the C:\ drive, do the following:

Close all Internet Explorer Windows and other applications.

Start button --> RUN and type in:
--> Click OK.

Reboot.

Log on as an user with administrative rights and open Internet Explorer and
visit http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/ and select to do a CUSTOM scan...
(Every time you are about to click on something while at these web pages -
release the CTRL key after clicking each time.)

Once the scan is done, select just ONE of the high priority updates
(deselect any others) and install it.

Reboot again.

Come back - let us know if that worked.

(If it did work - try it again - selecting no more than 3-5 at a time. The
Optional Software updates are generally safe - although I recommend against
the Windows Search one. I would completely avoid the Optional Hardware
updates.)

Really - come back and let everyone know if that worked.

If it does not...

Get Dial-a-Fix:
http://wiki.djlizard.net/Dial-a-fix

Use its options to fix:
- Windows Installer
- Windows Update
- All the Registration Center options.

Turn off the "Empty System32\Catroot 2"
Do NOT do "Flush SoftwareDistribution".

Then click "GO" and wait until it is done... Reboot will be needed.

- Download/Install Windows Update v3.
(You *may* need to install it using the command line switch "/wuforce"
right after the reboot - immediately after logging in.)

- Reboot.
- Visit http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/ and scan for/install updates.

Still no go?

Download, install, run, update and perform a full scan (seperately) with the

SuperAntiSpyware
http://www.superantispyware.com/

MalwareBytes
http://www.malwarebytes.com/

whatever they both find completely - repeat the steps I originally laid out.
It may be that you were infested with a spyware/adware/malware application
and it was causing all your troubles.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Jan 6, 2009, 8:28:26 PM1/6/09
Please state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3) when posting to
this newsgroup.

> ...Review of

> update history shows thousands of downloaded updates which have not
> installed.

CrystalBall© sez...

Update, or by using Automatic Updates after you perform a new Windows XP
installation or you repair a Windows XP installation
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144

More:

How to troubleshoot common Windows Update, Microsoft Update, and Windows
Server Update Services installation issues:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/906602

to installing Security Updates.

Support for Windows Update:

your usual support contacts.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
AumHa VSOP & Admin; DTS-L.net

Dianna

Jan 7, 2009, 4:16:17 PM1/7/09

Dianna

"SourdoughPlus" wrote:

> XP Home operating system installed at time of purchase by retailer who is me because of the lost due to storm here in texas, dell sent software and told me to install I guess i didn't do a good job.

Shenan Stanley

Jan 7, 2009, 5:26:22 PM1/7/09
SourdoughPlus wrote:
> 8Security update for Windows XP (KB951698) Error code 0x8007F117.
> Review of update history shows thousands of downloaded updates
> which have not installed. Computer set to Automatic Updates.
> Install time set to 3:00 a.m. daily but, even though computer is
> running (offline) no installation occurs.
>
> XP Home operating system installed at time of purchase by retailer
> who is now out of business.

Dianna wrote:
<tried to edit last line above>

> who is me because of the lost due to storm here in texas, dell
> sent software and told me to install I guess i didn't do a good
> job.

Dianna,

Are you "SourdoughPlus"?

What is your query now?

I will repeat my answer...

SourdoughPlus

Jan 15, 2009, 12:02:09 PM1/15/09
Re your 1/06/09 reply, your remedial sequence is appreciated and steps 1
through 3 were completed. I stalled out at step 4, which calls for a
download of latest version of Update Agent, then saving it to root of C:\
drive. I know how to get into the c:\ drive but don't know the commands
needed to save the above file to that drive. Can you get me going again?
--
DHF

"Shenan Stanley" wrote:

> SourdoughPlus wrote:
> > 8Security update for Windows XP (KB951698) Error code 0x8007F117.
> > Review of update history shows thousands of downloaded updates
> > which have not installed. Computer set to Automatic Updates.
> > Install time set to 3:00 a.m. daily but, even though computer is
> > running (offline) no installation occurs.
> >
> > XP Home operating system installed at time of purchase by retailer
> > who is now out of business.
>
> Start button --> RUN and type in:
> %SystemRoot%\system32\net stop wuauserv
> --> Click OK.
>
> Start button --> RUN and type in:
> %SystemRoot%\system32\regsvr32 %SystemRoot%\system32\wups2.dll
> --> Click OK.
>
> Start button --> RUN and type in:
> %SystemRoot%\system32\net start wuauserv
> --> Click OK.
>
> Download the latest version of the Windows Update agent from here (x86):
> http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=91237

> .... and save it to the root of your C:\ drive. After saving it to the root

Shenan Stanley

Jan 15, 2009, 3:20:32 PM1/15/09
SourdoughPlus wrote:
> Re your 1/06/09 reply, your remedial sequence is appreciated and
> steps 1 through 3 were completed. I stalled out at step 4, which
> calls for a download of latest version of Update Agent, then saving
> it to root of C:\ drive. I know how to get into the c:\ drive but
> don't know the commands needed to save the above file to that
> drive. Can you get me going again?

This part?

> Download the latest version of the Windows Update agent from here
> (x86): http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=91237
> ... and save it to the root of your C:\ drive. After saving it to
> the root of the C:\ drive, do the following:

When you click on the file to download it - it should ask you where to save
it. You browse to C:\ in the window.

(Click on the link, select to "Save", at the top, next to the "Save In:"
words - pull down and select "Local Disk (C:)" then click on the "Save"
button at the bottom of the window.)