Re: unable to print from internet explorer 7 since my last critica

1 view

PA Bear

Dec 20, 2007, 12:40:54 PM12/20/07
[crossposted to Windows Update newsgroup]

I'm very sorry to hear of MS Support's ineptness on this matter, assuming
you
/clearly/ stated that you were running IE7 when you first contacted them.

Is your printer on a network or is it connect directly to the machine? What
make/model of printer is it?

Please try the following:

1. Disable Norton AntiVirus, any real-time protection provided by an
anti-spyware application (this includes Spybot Tea Timer, SpySweeper Guards,
AVG AS guard.exe, etc., but NOT Windows Defender), disable any third-party
firewall (e.g., Norton Personal Firewall; ZoneAlarm) AND enable the Windows
Firewall.

browsing; reading email; chatting) except #4 below until your anti-virus
application has been re-enabled! If you're running ZA Free firewall, you
may need to uninstall it instead of disabling it.

2. Go to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com and install any Critical Updates
offered (e.g., 942615). If a "Root Certificates" update is listed in the
Optional Updates category, you might install it, too, to take full advantage
of IE7's additional security.

3. Reboot > Make sure everything in #1 above is enabled again and, if
applicable, disable the Windows Firewall and enable your third-party
firewall.

4. Test your printing.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net

King Harry wrote:
> For PA Bear and all:
>
> Here is response I received from MS:
>
> "...At this time, I suggest we install KB942615 again, and then perform
> the
> following steps to work around the Internet Explorer 7 problems.
>
> Warning Serious problems might occur if you modify the registry
> incorrectly
> by using Registry Editor or by using another method. These problems might
> require that you reinstall the operating system. Microsoft cannot
> guarantee
> that these problems can be solved. Modify the registry at your own risk.
>

> 1. Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK.
>
> 2. Locate and then click the following registry subkey:
>

> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet
> Explorer\Main\FeatureControl\
>

> 3. On the Edit menu, point to New, and then click Key.
>
> 4. Type FEATURE_PROTECT_DECOMPRESSION_FILTER_FROM_ABORT_KB942367, and then
> press ENTER.
>
> 5. Right-click FEATURE_PROTECT_DECOMPRESSION_FILTER_FROM_ABORT_KB942367,
> point to New, and then click DWORD Value.
>
> 6. Type an asterisk (*), and then press ENTER.
>
> Note: The asterisk (*) represents any process name that uses the
> Urlmon.dll
> file. If you want to make this change for an individual application that
> uses the Urlmon.dll file, use the name of that application instead of the
> asterisk. For example, use Appname.exe.
>

> 7. Right-click the asterisk, and then click Modify.
>
> 8. In the Value data box, type 1, and then click OK.
>
> 9. Exit Registry Editor.
>
> For more information, please check the related Knowledge Base article from
> the following link:

> UNQUOTE
>

> I looked at the KB to which the answer referred me and it says that the
> 'fix' is for IE6. I sent a e-mail back to the MS tech and asked if the fix
> she recommended applied to IE7 as well.
>
> I have not yet re-installed KB 942615.

<paste>
King Harry wrote:
> Norton AV, Zone Alarm Pro firewall, Adobe v 8.1
</paste>
PA Bear wrote:
>> What anti-virus, third-party firewall and/or anti-spyware application(s)
>> are installed, Your Highness?
>>
>> What version of Adobe Acrobat Reader are you running (e.g., v8.0.1)?
>>
>> Please let us know what MS has to say about all this.
>> --
>> ~PA Bear
>>

>> King Harry wrote:
>>> PA Bear: I removed KB 942615 which I had installed on Dec 13. That
>>> solved
>>> the printing issue and also solved another problem i.e., failure of
>>> Adobe/Acrobat reader to initiate from IE7. I sent a support item to
>>> Microsoft.

King Harry

Dec 20, 2007, 1:05:03 PM12/20/07
My printer is an Epson Stylus Photo R200 connected directly to the PC. And,
yes, I clearly stated in my original query that I was using IE7.

Related: Obviously, I do not have to install KB 942615 even though it has
been automatically downloaded to my PC. At this time, I am inclined to not do
the installation, just leave the KB sitting there. Is there anyway to delete
the KB or do I have to close down each night without the installation
occuring?
--
Against stupidity even the Gods themselves battle in vain.

PA Bear

Dec 20, 2007, 1:12:45 PM12/20/07
I am not willing to tell you how to avoid installing 942615 as it addresses
several security vulnerabilities. It simply doesn't make sense to me to
allow the machine to be vulnerable due to a printing problem.

Either work with me or await a reply from MS Support, please. All 5 steps I
just posted shouldn't take more than 5 minutes to complete.
--
~PA Bear

King Harry wrote:
> My printer is an Epson Stylus Photo R200 connected directly to the PC.
> And,
> yes, I clearly stated in my original query that I was using IE7.
>
> Related: Obviously, I do not have to install KB 942615 even though it has
> been automatically downloaded to my PC. At this time, I am inclined to not
> do the installation, just leave the KB sitting there. Is there anyway to
> delete the KB or do I have to close down each night without the
> installation
> occuring?

King Harry

Dec 20, 2007, 3:23:01 PM12/20/07
I fully appreciate your point-of-view; however, my reluctance to install a
problematic update stems from past experiences involving after-the-fact fixes
for updates. I think that sometimes MS rushes to publish updates without a
complete review of consequences, particularly as the update may affect fairly
common applications e.g., Adobe Reader/Acrobat. The law of unintended
consequences does, really, reign supreme.

I am traveling for the next 10 days and will not be on my home PC. I'll keep
track of additions to this thread via my laptop but I am not going to deal
with the subject update/fixes until I return home.

Cheers from the palace.

--
Against stupidity even the Gods themselves battle in vain.

in...@ibchem.com

Dec 30, 2007, 2:01:59 PM12/30/07
On Dec 20, 9:23 pm, King Harry <bitterbr...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> I fully appreciate your point-of-view; however, my reluctance to install a
> problematicupdatestems from past experiences involving after-the-fact fixes

> for updates. I think that sometimes MS rushes to publish updates without a
> complete review of consequences, particularly as theupdatemay affect fairly

> common applications e.g., Adobe Reader/Acrobat. The law of unintended
> consequences does, really, reign supreme.
>
> I am traveling for the next 10 days and will not be on my home PC. I'll keep
> track of additions to this thread via my laptop but I am not going to deal
> with the subjectupdate/fixes until I return home.

> Cheers from the palace.
> --
> Against stupidity even the Gods themselves battle in vain.
>

> "PA Bear" wrote:
> > I am not willing to tell you how to avoid installing 942615 as it addresses
> > several security vulnerabilities.  It simplydoesn'tmake sense to me to

> > allow the machine to be vulnerable due to a printing problem.
>
> > Eitherworkwith me or await a reply from MS Support, please.  All 5 steps I

> > just posted shouldn't take more than 5 minutes to complete.
> > --
> > ~PA Bear
>
> > King Harry wrote:
> > > My printer is an Epson Stylus Photo R200 connected directly to the PC.
> > > And,
> > > yes, I clearly stated in my original query that I was using IE7.
>
> > > Related: Obviously, I do not have to install KB 942615 even though it has
> > > been automaticallydownloadedto my PC. At this time, I am inclined to not

> > > do the installation, just leave the KB sitting there. Is there anyway to
> > > delete the KB or do I have to close down each night without the
> > > installation
> > > occuring?

Hi there, I just had a similar problem. Windows XP installed an
automatic update (December 3rd) which resulted in an inoperative
Windows Explorer (folders kep returning to desktop) AND an Internet
Explorer that will not open pages.

On consulting the documentation it seems that this happens if the
update is loaded without a prior security update no: MS06-015 -
908531.

To get the prior previous file go here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=392C2F1B-AA24-48E5-8D5B-EA56341DB936&displaylang=en

It took me ages to find the info, but once I downloaded and run the
file (from another computer, obviously, as IE wasn't working) hey
presto, everyting OK again.

What pisses me off is that, OK I was able to do this, but I am a
programmer for f***s sake. What about the other 99.99% of the
population who are faced with a non-functional IE and/or WE...
... AND who have no access to another computer???

The microsoft site blithly states that this problem can occur.
Originally I was pretty sure that it was a virus, but nothing appeared
on virus scan. I tried malware scans, browser hijack objects, registry
scans etc.

I was on the point of starting from scratch with a HD reformat when I
came across the required info.

Hope it works for you.

Charco

Jay Whitlock

Dec 30, 2007, 3:34:01 PM12/30/07

Jay Whitlock

PA Bear, MS MVP

Jan 4, 2008, 8:15:11 PM1/4/08
Tying up the loose ends here, it was eventually discovered that one or
more settings in Zone Alarm Pro was the cause of Harry's printing
problems in Adobe Acrobat Reader v8.1 after having installed 946215
for IE7 running in WinXP SP2.

I will mention that Harry got totally inappropriate advice after
opening a free support incident (i.e., install 946627, which only
applies to IE6). At this point, MVP Susan Bradley and myself escalated
Harry's case to MS PSS Security who then put Harry in touch with an
engineer from IE Developer Support, who in turn proceeded to give
Harry a resolution that was way beyond his abilities (including a
Registry hack).

It was only after my most esteemed colleague got an expert friend of
hers to do a Remote Assistance session with Harry that the ZA factor
was identified and Harry found joy.

--

DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

On Dec 20 2007, 3:23 pm, King Harry wrote:
> I fully appreciate your point-of-view; however, my reluctance to install a
> problematic update stems from past experiences involving after-the-fact fixes
> for updates. I think that sometimes MS rushes to publish updates without a
> complete review of consequences, particularly as the update may affect fairly
> common applications e.g., Adobe Reader/Acrobat. The law of unintended
> consequences does, really, reign supreme.
>
> I am traveling for the next 10 days and will not be on my home PC. I'll keep
> track of additions to this thread via my laptop but I am not going to deal
> with the subject update/fixes until I return home.
>
> Cheers from the palace.

<snip>
Thread history:
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general/browse_frm/thread/a9ae89240a2213ef/14bc7deda83b7b7d

Curt Christianson

Jan 4, 2008, 11:40:47 PM1/4/08
I'd call that "above and beyond the call of duty...".

--
HTH,

Curt

http://dundats.mvps.org/
http://dundats.proboards27.com/index.cgi
http://www.aumha.org/

"PA Bear, MS MVP" <PABe...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Joan Archer

Jan 5, 2008, 8:51:09 AM1/5/08
I'll echo Curts post and say that this is one of the ways that shows why
you got and deserve that MVP award Robear, as always we know we can trust
your advice to put us dummies straight no matter how we upset our machines
<g>
Joan

Claire Eichenberg

Feb 5, 2008, 8:53:02 PM2/5/08
Joan (or PA Bear)
Can you help me? I'm also running Windows XP SP2 with IE7 and Acrobat 8.1.
I can open
and/or print pdf files that are on my hard drive when I'm outdie of IE7 just
fine, but when I try
to look at or print a .pdf file inside IE7 (like I've always been able to
do, no problem), now it
just crashes and Acrobat can't even open the file. If I just save the file
to my hard drive, then of
course I can open it, but I don't want to save everything I look at online
on my hard drive (of
course!). What is this Zone Alarm thing? Is it inside Acrobat 8.1? Can
you help me do the same
fix you mention below? Thanks in advance if you can help!
--
Claire Eichenberg

Gordon

Feb 6, 2008, 3:24:40 AM2/6/08
"Claire Eichenberg" <ClaireEi...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:15D4A8E9-757A-41B9...@microsoft.com...

> Joan (or PA Bear)
> Can you help me? I'm also running Windows XP SP2 with IE7 and Acrobat
> 8.1.

have you actually got 8.1 or 8.1.1? If the former try upgrading to the
latest edition and see if that cures it - works OK here in Win XP SP2, and
IE7...

Joan Archer

Feb 6, 2008, 7:45:41 AM2/6/08
Sorry I can't help Claire as I don't use or have Adobe Acrobat Reader, I
have Foxit and only use it to get my monthly phone bill from online <g>
Joan