Error number: 0x80070422 AU & BITS Not enabled

James Belcher

Dec 31, 2004, 3:04:24 AM12/31/04
ERROR 1058: The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or
because it has no enabled devices associated with it.

That is the msg I got when restartin AU. BITS was already started, I still
restarted it JIC but to no avail.

Patti MacLeod

Dec 31, 2004, 10:38:23 AM12/31/04
Hi James,

Give this a try and see if it resolves the problem:

Go to Start>Run key in services.msc and click on OK or hit ENTER.
Right-click on Automatic Updates then select Properties. Click on the Log On
tab. In the Hardware Profile field (at the bottom), if the Service status is
Disabled for your Hardware Profile (probably is Original Configuration),
click to highlight the Hardware Profile in this field, then click on the
Enable button and then click on Apply. Now, click on the General tab and
click on Start under Service Status.

Regards,

--
Patti MacLeod
Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User

"James Belcher" <disc...@comcast.net> wrote in message

Reeves@discussions.microsoft.com Lawrence Reeves

Jan 21, 2005, 5:59:06 PM1/21/05
Thanks Patti !

I had the same symptoms as James, and this seems to have done the trick.

cheers,

Lawrence

Patti MacLeod

Jan 21, 2005, 6:10:12 PM1/21/05
You're very welcome, Lawrence! :-)

Regards,

--
Patti MacLeod
Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User

"Lawrence Reeves" <Lawrence Ree...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:CB196412-9E4D-4A7A...@microsoft.com...

Sergio

Apr 30, 2005, 8:33:46 PM4/30/05
After Searching a log time trying diferent things this Finally fixed it.

Thanks So Much

Sergio

markzander61

Mar 2, 2007, 6:45:31 PM3/2/07
I cannot open services.msc because I get that same message.

anhester

May 15, 2008, 11:29:00 PM5/15/08
Patti,

This did not fix my problem. Do you have any other suggestions?

Aaron

MowGreen [MVP]

May 16, 2008, 7:06:44 PM5/16/08
For XP, see: How To Fix Windows Update (BITS/AU) [Newly Edited]
http://www.castlecops.com/t106642-How_To_Fix_Windows_Update_BITS_AU_Newly_Edited.html

BTW, you've replied to an older posting. To be best served, start a new
thread.

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

vanak...@gmail.com

Jun 15, 2008, 11:12:11 AM6/15/08
Just to help Anhester because I don't see his new thread:

I've had the same problem and the hardware profile was allready
enabled. Just disable it, click apply, enable it again and click apply
once again. Now go to the first tab and set it to automatic, click
start and should perfectly work now.

That is what i've done. Hopefully it will help a lot of people.

RnG

Jul 12, 2008, 2:16:03 PM7/12/08
Taht didn't work. Now I have an Error 1058 message?????
--
RnG

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Jul 12, 2008, 4:30:43 PM7/12/08
Judging from similar posts here in the past month or so, the behavior may be
due to a Vundo-ZLOB-SDBot infection, all of which is protected by a rootkit.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827315

Run a thorough check for hijackware, including posting your hijackthis log
to an appropriate forum.

Checking for/Help with Hijackware
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=5878
http://wiki.castlecops.com/Malware_Removal_and_Prevention:_Introduction
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

When all else fails, HijackThis v2.0.2
(http://aumha.org/downloads/hijackthis.exe) is the preferred tool to use.
It will help you to both identify and remove any hijackware/spyware with
assistance from an expert. **Post your log to
http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30,
http://castlecops.com/forum67.html, or other appropriate forums for review

Support for Windows Update:

security updates.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net

RnG wrote:
> Taht didn't work. Now I have an Error 1058 message?????

didn''t work for me

Sep 16, 2008, 5:41:01 AM9/16/08
go here download and run the program to get rid of trojans
http://www.malwarebytes.org/
go to control panel administrator options, services and on automatic updates
make it automatic and then click on start

Zulie

Dec 26, 2008, 7:39:00 PM12/26/08
I tried that,but it didn't work. it gave that exact same message.

Harry Johnston [MVP]

Dec 28, 2008, 3:55:21 AM12/28/08
Zulie wrote:

> I tried that,but it didn't work. it gave that exact same message.

That's a very old thread. Please start a new thread describing exactly what
problem you are having, including details about your operating system, service
pack level, etc.

Harry.

thanks

Sep 23, 2009, 10:41:01 AM9/23/09