Installation Failure Error Code: 0x80070643

Ilde

Aug 15, 2008, 12:38:01 AM8/15/08
Security Update for Microsoft Office Word 2003 (KB954464) Friday, August 15,
2008 Microsoft Update
Office 2003 Security Update for Access Snapshot Viewer 2003 (KB955439)
Friday, August 15, 2008 Microsoft Update
Office 2003 Security Update for Microsoft Office PowerPoint 2003 (KB948988)
Friday, August 15, 2008 Microsoft Update
Office 2003 Update for Microsoft Office Outlook 2003 Junk Email Filter
(KB955434) Friday, August 15, 2008 Microsoft Update
Office 2003 Security Update for Microsoft Office 2003 (KB921598) Friday,
August 15, 2008 Microsoft Update
Office 2003 Security Update for Microsoft Office Excel 2003 (KB951548)

Why is this happening? Anny tips.
--
Windows

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Aug 15, 2008, 1:29:38 AM8/15/08
Insert your Office 2003 CD into the appropriate drive bay before attempting
to install these updates.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net

TaurArian

Aug 15, 2008, 3:15:05 AM8/15/08
Some reading for ya -

How to troubleshoot failures updating your Office installation from the Office Update Web
site
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304498
Office 2003 Update fails to install with error 0x80070643
http://update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/v6/showarticle.aspx?articleid=42&ln=en&IsMu=False
You receive error 0x80070643 when you are installing Office 2003 Updates. Updates fail to
install because ose service is disabled or cannot be started. Applicable Office versions:
Office 2003

You cannot install an Office 2003 service pack
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/884298

Step 2: Re-create the path of the original installation source in the registry
Especially for 80070643 if a registry cleaner is used

You receive an "Error 80070643" error message when you try to update Office 2003 by using
Software Update Services
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/903772
--

TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2009 - Update Services
http://taurarian.mvps.org

"Ilde" <Il...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

John

Aug 15, 2008, 1:31:06 PM8/15/08
So far today, I have had 5 computer fail while attempting to install this
update. Out of those 5 after following helpful hints suggested in previous
replies, we have been able to fix one by doing a "repair" of office 2003.

4 of the failed computers are using office 2003 and windows xp. The latest
failure was with windows Vista and Office 2007.

There is something more going on with this update then just a corrupt
OSE.exe file or a service that is set to disabled. This did not resolve any
of our computers having this issue.

John

Aug 15, 2008, 2:26:10 PM8/15/08
I may have found a solution to at least a few of these machines.
They are all HP and originally came with a trial version of Office 2007
installed. We had uninstalled office 2007 and installed office 2003 as we
are not quite ready to roll out the new and untrained 2007. The office 2007
interoperability assemblies were left on the machine however. This is what
was causing the update for Powerpoint (KB951338) to fail. After uninstalling
this last bit of Office2007 the update was no longer needed.

Elicoen

Aug 15, 2008, 10:23:58 PM8/15/08

This is the solution on Win XP Pro with SP3 and Office 2003 + SP3

If you have been trying to install Office 2003 updates and get failure
notices for:

Security Update for Microsoft Office Excel 2003 (KB951548)

Security Update for Access Snapshot Viewer 2003 (KB955439)

Security Update for Microsoft Office 2003 (KB921598)

Security Update for Microsoft Office PowerPoint 2003 (KB948988)

Update for Microsoft Office Outlook 2003 Junk Email Filter (KB955434)

Security Update for Microsoft Office Word 2003 (KB954464)

Do the following:
1. Right click My Computer and click Manage from drop down menu
2. Open Sevices and Applications
3. Choose Services
4. Select "Office Source Engine" under Name column and Start the
service if the option is availble [to the left of the column.].
Otherwise, if the service is Disabled right click on it and choose
Properties and then from the tabs choose Recovery. Use the failure
dialogue options to Restart the service.

5. Install the updates again—this time successfully.

--
Elicoen
Elicoen's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/elicoen.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

Coach

Aug 16, 2008, 12:22:04 AM8/16/08
Elicoen"s process worked on the first try. Too many MS processes running or
not in the background. Never had this problem before. Good job!

Harry Johnston [MVP]

Aug 17, 2008, 10:23:11 PM8/17/08
John wrote:

> I may have found a solution to at least a few of these machines.
> They are all HP and originally came with a trial version of Office 2007
> installed. We had uninstalled office 2007 and installed office 2003 as we
> are not quite ready to roll out the new and untrained 2007. The office 2007
> interoperability assemblies were left on the machine however. This is what
> was causing the update for Powerpoint (KB951338) to fail. After uninstalling
> this last bit of Office2007 the update was no longer needed.

Thanks for letting us know about this.

For your future consideration, I would recommend that you reformat and reinstall
all newly purchased machines, so as to avoid this sort of problem. Whatever the
vendors may say, preinstalled software is not a good thing. :-)

Harry.

--
Boycott Beijing 2008 http://www.rsf.org/rubrique.php3?id_rubrique=174

Walter

Sep 1, 2008, 5:17:01 PM9/1/08
Thanks for this suggestion. I have exactly the situation you describe: HP
Compaq 6710b with Office 2007 pre-installed, which I had uninstalled in
favour of Office 2003. Removing the Office 2007 Interoperability Assemblies
made the kb951338 update go away. Strange that Microsoft shouldn't mention
this issue anywhere...
Thanks again
Walter

dwear88

Jan 6, 2010, 12:59:24 PM1/6/10

You might also check that this service is running - Office Source
Engine.

That was the cause of my Office update failures in the past.

--
dwear88
dwear88's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/171390.htm

Shenan Stanley

Jan 7, 2010, 10:26:12 PM1/7/10
dwear88 wrote:
> You might also check that this service is running - Office Source
> Engine.
>
> That was the cause of my Office update failures in the past.

Quoting everything the responder allowed to be replicated (because they were
using techarena.in and it's horrible synching/leeching methods) - I can only
ask... What?

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP