DAY 2 OF The VIA Nightware Still Tons IF Dead Laptops Where IS The

Tallen Atear

Feb 17, 2007, 9:45:00 AM2/17/07
Imexecptionally Upset there is still no fix, any 'fix' posted so far assumes
you can still boot your laptop in either safe mode or last know good config.

My laptop as many others out there
(A) went to windows update and downloaded the hardware updates
(B) rebooted as normal only to BSOD to the how would you like to boot scrren
(C) Tried imidiatly "last Known Good Configuration" only to see the BSOD and
be back at the same window.
(D) Then tried Safe Mode, after a ton of text wizes by the screen instant BSOD
(E) Booted from a xp disk went into the repair console and tried to look for
the $NTUninstall file cant find one looked into the ViPar.sys file noting
seems to help.Even ran chkdsk knowing it would do noting.
(F) yes were all (F)ked for sure, and we sit here like lemmings worried
about viruses and security leakes..

Where is the fix instructions? im about to reload back to October of last
year...

Not Happy At All
Andrew H. Hochheimer
The Software Artist Limited.
and...@softareartist.com

Shenan Stanley

Feb 17, 2007, 10:06:43 AM2/17/07
Tallen Atear wrote:
> Imexecptionally Upset there is still no fix, any 'fix' posted so
> far assumes you can still boot your laptop in either safe mode or
> last know good config.
>
> My laptop as many others out there
> (A) went to windows update and downloaded the hardware updates

How many times has it been repeated in these newsgroups (and elsewhere on
the Internet) to NOT get the hardware updates from Microsoft?

They do *not* make the majority (if any) of your hardware - so why would you
trust* them to supply you with the best drivers/software for your hardware?

> (B) rebooted as normal only to BSOD to the how would you like to
> boot scrren (C) Tried imidiatly "last Known Good Configuration"
> only to see the BSOD and be back at the same window.
> (D) Then tried Safe Mode, after a ton of text wizes by the screen
> instant BSOD (E) Booted from a xp disk went into the repair console
> and tried to look for the $NTUninstall file cant find one looked
> into the ViPar.sys file noting seems to help.Even ran chkdsk
> knowing it would do noting. (F) yes were all (F)ked for sure, and
> we sit here like lemmings worried
> about viruses and security leakes..
>
> Where is the fix instructions? im about to reload back to October
> of last year...

Perform a REPAIR INSTALLATION.. Has nothing to do with a Repair Console.

How to perform an in-place upgrade (reinstallation) of Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315341

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Susan Bradley, CPA aka Ebitz - SBS Rocks [MVP]

Feb 17, 2007, 10:36:02 AM2/17/07
It's one thing when the driver is a proper tested driver, it's totally
another when this appears to be a total "stuff up" as my Aussie friends
would say.

Shenan Stanley

Feb 17, 2007, 10:48:01 AM2/17/07
Susan Bradley, CPA aka Ebitz - SBS Rocks [MVP] wrote:
> It's one thing when the driver is a proper tested driver, it's
> totally another when this appears to be a total "stuff up" as my
> Aussie friends would say.

Personally - I stick to the advice I have given for years...
If Microsoft did not make the hardware - why would you trust getting the
software/driver for it from Microsoft?

Any other advice would contradict the advice I would normally give.

You always want to download something from the most trusted source.

In the case of a piece of hardware - the most trusted source for a
software/driver download for said device would be from the actual
manufacturer's (of said device) web site - as they are the creators of said
product and provide the support for said product.

Microsoft - while the 'most trusted source' for drivers and updates for
*their* products is not, to me, the most trusted source for drivers and
updates for, say, ATI's products... NVidia's products... Creative Labs'
products... Intel chipsets... VIA chipsets... and so on.

While I agree that the VIA driver is totally messed up and just being
offered to practically everyone - if people did not get their hardware
drivers from a source where the product wasn't created/supported directly -
then they would not have a problem. =)

Susan Bradley, CPA aka Ebitz - SBS Rocks [MVP]

Feb 17, 2007, 10:54:28 AM2/17/07
What if the next time the "stuff up" is not a driver that those of us
experienced patchers say to avoid but some other patch that shouldn't be
offered up?

I would hope that someone is going back and reviewing processes to see
what got "stuffed".

It would also be nice if there was an official post from a Microsoft
source. Additional help and guidance would be nice.

Shenan Stanley

Feb 17, 2007, 11:01:34 AM2/17/07

Shenan Stanley wrote:
> Personally - I stick to the advice I have given for years...
> If Microsoft did not make the hardware - why would you trust
> getting the software/driver for it from Microsoft?
>
> Any other advice would contradict the advice I would normally give.
>
> You always want to download something from the most trusted source.
>
> In the case of a piece of hardware - the most trusted source for a
> software/driver download for said device would be from the actual
> manufacturer's (of said device) web site - as they are the
> creators of said product and provide the support for said product.
>
> Microsoft - while the 'most trusted source' for drivers and
> updates for *their* products is not, to me, the most trusted
> source for drivers and updates for, say, ATI's products...
> NVidia's products... Creative Labs' products... Intel chipsets... VIA
> chipsets... and so on.
> While I agree that the VIA driver is totally messed up and just
> being offered to practically everyone - if people did not get
> their hardware drivers from a source where the product wasn't
> created/supported directly - then they would not have a problem. =)

Susan Bradley, CPA aka Ebitz - SBS Rocks [MVP] wrote:
> What if the next time the "stuff up" is not a driver that those of
> us experienced patchers say to avoid but some other patch that
> shouldn't be offered up?
>
> I would hope that someone is going back and reviewing processes to
> see what got "stuffed".
>
> It would also be nice if there was an official post from a Microsoft
> source. Additional help and guidance would be nice.

There is no disagreement there.

Someone should have caught this at Microsoft by now.
Someone should have made a public announcement or at the very least - pulled
it from the site.
(From Microsoft.)

Justin

Feb 17, 2007, 12:01:00 PM2/17/07

"Shenan Stanley" wrote:

> There is no disagreement there.
>
> Someone should have caught this at Microsoft by now.
> Someone should have made a public announcement or at the very least - pulled
> it from the site.
> (From Microsoft.)
>
> --
> Shenan Stanley
> MS-MVP

Shenan,

It is Microsofts responsibility to ensure all drivers being sponsored on the
update page are working fully and tested fully before sponsoring any drivers
at all.

This is not an issue of where you got the drivers, we all have experiences
that drivers from the website directly have caused the same problem, but in
this case, we expect a little bit more than just a cursory glance. If this
means paying someone OT and cuts those few dollars out of the profit margin
to ensure this, then too bad. Price you pay when you have pretty much
dominated the market.

So, the question still remains, what are VIA and MS doing about preparing a
self boot CD to patch/fix the current problem since repairing does not work?!

Tallen Atear

Feb 17, 2007, 12:32:00 PM2/17/07
> Someone should have caught this at Microsoft by now.
> Someone should have made a public announcement or at the very least - pulled
> it from the site.

As of this morning the hardware updates have been removed, but there is
still no public fix outside of reinstall xp - unexceptable from a 126k update
that could not of changed much.

I download all updates simply becuase (a) i never ran into a problem before
doings so, and (b) I have 100's of clients that will no matter what I tell
them so if there is a problem I at least need to be aware of it and have a
solution.

Andrew

miadlor

Feb 17, 2007, 1:41:05 PM2/17/07
I also had the problem yesterday.
I was able to sucessfully fix and repeat the issue several times.
If last known good fails.....safe mode and goto device manager.
From there "IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers/Primary IDE channel, roll back driver.
You can also go into the Windows directory system32 drivers and look for the
driver that was created on the date you instaled it.....the name was short
and had "pr" in it. Looking at the info of the driver, it will say VIA in it.

miadlor

Feb 17, 2007, 1:44:00 PM2/17/07

"miadlor" wrote:

> I also had the problem yesterday.
> I was able to sucessfully fix and repeat the issue several times.
> If last known good fails.....safe mode and goto device manager.

> From there "IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers/Primary IDE channel, roll back driver.(repeat for secondary)

miadlor

Feb 17, 2007, 1:46:03 PM2/17/07

"miadlor" wrote:

> I also had the problem yesterday.
> I was able to sucessfully fix and repeat the issue several times.
> If last known good fails.....safe mode and goto device manager.

> From there "IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers/Primary IDE channel, roll back driver.(repeat for secondary)

Tallen Atear

Feb 17, 2007, 2:18:06 PM2/17/07

"miadlor" wrote:

> I also had the problem yesterday.
> I was able to sucessfully fix and repeat the issue several times.
> If last known good fails.....safe mode and goto device manager.
> From there "IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers/Primary IDE channel, roll back driver.

Well again if you read my post it is IMPOSSIBLE to boot into windows xp IN
ANY MODE safe, use last config, etc.. there is lots of laptops in this
condiditon out there. Desktops seemed to crash once then using last known
booted to windows fine. I can ONLY get to the recovery console from a XP
disk. the hardrive and ALL files are fine its a issue of the VIA driver
update crashing the system on boot.

Several IBM laptops are not booting and the only fix has been to reimage
them from a old gost backup. My dell is about 9 hrs from finishing a complete
ghost image in case somthing goes wrong.

I just cant belive there is no simple copy this to that delete this
instructions online. I mean if any other updates goes scarry i can allways
fix things from the $NtUninstallKBwhatevernumber folders. This update had
nothing.

Microsoft should at least say there working on it rather then just
pretending it did not happen. Dell complete care staff is still working on it
as it has effected 100's of laptops.

This is all BS

Shenan Stanley

Feb 17, 2007, 2:50:07 PM2/17/07
Justin wrote:
<snipped>

> So, the question still remains, what are VIA and MS doing about
> preparing a self boot CD to patch/fix the current problem since
> repairing does not work?!

In order to remain - the question would have had to have been asked.
I never saw mention in this thread about a 'self boot CD to patch/fix the
current problem'...

I did see a query asking for a fix or instructions for a fix. ;-)

I wouldn't blame VIA...
As it was obviously Microsoft's mistake in detecting almost every system as
needing this patch.
As I have said in other threads like this - it detected the need for it on
systems that I have that don't even come close to having VIA anything.

Shenan Stanley

Feb 17, 2007, 2:52:17 PM2/17/07
Tallen Atear wrote:
<snip>

> I just cant belive there is no simple copy this to that delete this
> instructions online. I mean if any other updates goes scarry i can
> allways fix things from the $NtUninstallKBwhatevernumber folders.
> This update had nothing.
>
> Microsoft should at least say there working on it rather then just
> pretending it did not happen. Dell complete care staff is still
> working on it as it has effected 100's of laptops.
>
> This is all BS

This update is a HARDWARE DRIVER update.
Of course there is no uninstall/simply delete this/remove this line fix.
Your system wouldn't boot to do that.

While someone could come up with instructions on how to enter the recovery
console and remove the driver manually - simple is not a word I would place
with the instruction set that would have to be created.

Tallen Atear

Feb 17, 2007, 4:25:18 PM2/17/07
It is not helping by telling people that they should not have downloaded the
hardware updates. This is not helping the solution but rather ignorant and no
need for your condecending attitude. Microsoft is suppose to be a trusted
source and I am not the only person with this problem. If you cannot offer
good advice than do not bother posting with this attitude of all knowing.

I contacted Dell Support and they have no solution but are working on the
problem. I just got off the phone with Microsoft and they have no solution
for the problem as well. (By the way they don't read these formus I had to
email them the link!)

If you have no solution to offer just dont waste our time.

Lars-Erik Østerud

Feb 17, 2007, 5:06:13 PM2/17/07
miadlor wrote:

> If last known good fails.....safe mode and goto device manager.

Safe mode did NOT work, just rebooted too on the PC I updated.
But luckily "Last good" worked (I tried "safe boot" first).
--
Lars-Erik - http://www.osterud.name - ICQ 7297605

Susan Bradley, CPA aka Ebitz - SBS Rocks [MVP]

Feb 17, 2007, 6:29:04 PM2/17/07
I'm with Tallen here.
Regardless of those of us who are 'veteran patchers' we "should" be able
to trust Microsoft.

Shenan Stanley

Feb 17, 2007, 7:15:38 PM2/17/07
Tallen Atear wrote:
> It is not helping by telling people that they should not have
> downloaded the hardware updates. This is not helping the solution
> but rather ignorant and no need for your condecending attitude.
> Microsoft is suppose to be a trusted source and I am not the only
> person with this problem. If you cannot offer good advice than do
> not bother posting with this attitude of all knowing.
>
> I contacted Dell Support and they have no solution but are working
> on the problem. I just got off the phone with Microsoft and they
> have no solution for the problem as well. (By the way they don't
> read these formus I had to email them the link!)
>
> If you have no solution to offer just dont waste our time.

I gave a solution already.
Review the thread.

Nothing condescending - condescending would be me telling people they were
stupid for doing something they should have known better than to do.

I am presenting this as a 'lesson learned' scenario - as a solution (repair
install) has already been given.

Sure - it may not be the solution you desire - a simple fix CD/etc... But
the fact is - you could be up and going in an hour or so - or you can wait
days for a solution you like.

How to perform an in-place upgrade (reinstallation) of Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315341

This issue should have never existed. It does.

Should Microsoft be reprimanded? Sure - if you like.
Will it probably produce much? No more than it ever has.

Nothing condescending here - just facts.
1) People should be told NOT to get hardware updates from the Microsoft web
page unless they have Microsoft Hardware or they have a specific problem the
'MS Tested' driver has been proven to fix.
2) People should have a recent backup of their system - especially before
installing updates (hardware drivers or otherwise.)
(Since this particular update does not get applied 'automatically' - this
would seem to point to people with some experience with their computer
maintenance tasks rather than those who just let Automatic Updates do the
work because that is the way their tech person set it up..)
3) A repair install should replace the driver nicely and WILL be faster than
waiting for a solution that has not appeared in the two+ days the issue has
existed. (Yes - there are people who will be unable to do this - because
their computer did not come with actual installation media but restoration
methods. For them - I do not currently have a solution - although, going by
my assumption in #2 - likely those people did not get the update.)

I emphathize with the plight. I gave a solution WAY back in this thread.
It's a viable and workable solution. I did not present any condescending
attitude or front - I metrely stated facts so those who read this in the
future will be MORE CAREFUL when doing such things (like upgrading their
drivers, especially if they choose to do so from Microsoft..)

In case you can no longer see the entire thread...

http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsupdate/browse_frm/thread/e3777fff19bc9887/b0aa08b45760a792?lnk=st&q=&rnum=1#b0aa08b45760a792

As far as 'trusting' Microsoft...

Yeah - someone made a mistake... I knew I did not have a VIA chipset on the
majority of the machines i saw the patch for and thus - I did not install
the patch. I tested it (I stated this in a similar thread) to see if it
would do anything - and it does produce the BSOD everyone is complaining
about.

Trust but verify - a good general rule of life.

Tallen Atear

Feb 17, 2007, 7:41:07 PM2/17/07
Listen I did do the repair install by CD and all other suggestions. I spent
up all day yesterday trying to repair the problem, not only did I try the
repair CD, last configuration and safe mode there is no way to get to
windows. I even tried through DOS, so you telling me I am looking for a quick
fix is TOTALLY WRONG! I even had to repair desk tops at a company who did the
installs and was able to fix those but because my LAPTOP is totally
different. Even the techs at Dell crashed lap tops after doing the install
and were not able to fix the problem.

I have no choice but to ghost my hard drive which is taking 26 hours and try
to repair windows because microsoft and Dell cannot assure me that I wont
lose my information. Like I said if you have something valuable to share but
since you do not understand that LAPTOPS are not like the desk tops to fix.
Once again microsoft is at fault that is why they pulled the hardware updates
from the downloads.

Sorry to vent but very frustrated when people do read the posts and act like
a know it all and treat others like they are incompetent.

Shenan Stanley

Feb 17, 2007, 8:11:44 PM2/17/07

Tallen Atear wrote:
> Listen I did do the repair install by CD and all other suggestions.
> I spent up all day yesterday trying to repair the problem, not only
> did I try the repair CD, last configuration and safe mode there is
> no way to get to windows. I even tried through DOS, so you telling
> me I am looking for a quick fix is TOTALLY WRONG! I even had to
> repair desk tops at a company who did the installs and was able to
> fix those but because my LAPTOP is totally different. Even the
> techs at Dell crashed lap tops after doing the install and were not
> able to fix the problem.

You never mentioned doing the Repair Install until now...

You wrote:
> (A) went to windows update and downloaded the hardware updates
>

> (B) rebooted as normal only to BSOD to the how would you like to
> boot scrren
>
> (C) Tried imidiatly "last Known Good Configuration"
> only to see the BSOD and be back at the same window.
>
> (D) Then tried Safe Mode, after a ton of text wizes by the screen
> instant BSOD
>
> (E) Booted from a xp disk went into the repair console
> and tried to look for the $NTUninstall file cant find one looked
> into the ViPar.sys file noting seems to help.Even ran chkdsk
> knowing it would do noting.
>
> (F) yes were all (F)ked for sure, and
> we sit here like lemmings worried
> about viruses and security leakes..

I responded...

> Perform a REPAIR INSTALLATION.. Has nothing to do with a Repair Console.
>

> How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install
>
> How to perform an in-place upgrade (reinstallation) of Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315341

Because you never mentioned performming a repair install - nor have you
confirmed doing so as of this point per the links given - again - nothing to
do with what you mentioned in your original post:

> (E) Booted from a xp disk went into the repair console

Completely different beasts...

> I have no choice but to ghost my hard drive which is taking 26
> hours and try to repair windows because microsoft and Dell cannot
> assure me that I wont lose my information. Like I said if you have
> something valuable to share but since you do not understand that
> LAPTOPS are not like the desk tops to fix. Once again microsoft is
> at fault that is why they pulled the hardware updates from the
> downloads.

The only difference is the hardware.
Performing a repair installtion does not involve anything you have stated
you have done.
When you ordered your Dell Laptop - did you order the installation CD with
it or stick with the Image Backup that Dell offers for $10 less. If the
latter - then I accounted for your case in my last response.

> Sorry to vent but very frustrated when people do read the posts and
> act like a know it all and treat others like they are incompetent.

Never treated you as such. You are frustrated and reading whatever you want
(venting at someone is easier than venting for no reason) into what I write.
I accept that.

As I noted I said in another similar thread - I tested the patch (knowing
most of the machines I saw it being 'needed' on did not have VIA anything)
and before I did - made a ghost image and restored when it screwed it up.
If that is your only option - I feel for you. I gave my solution to you and
you have not actually confirmed you attemoted an actual repair installation
from an actual installation media at this point - or if you can or not...
Having a Dell Laptop does nothing to tell me if you have an actual
installation CD or not. I order all my Dell Laptops for customers with
actual installation media for the extra $10. Saying you went into the
repair console tells me nothing about if you tried a repair install.
Telling me you used some 'repair CD' definitely tells me nothing - because I
have no idea what this 'repair CD' is.

All I am asking at this point is *if* you went to either of the links I gave
and followed those directions to attempt an actual repair installation (or
if you even have an actual Windows XP Installation CD to use in such an
attempt)?

Also - your other option - before you go restoring an old ghost image - is
to Ghost it as is now so at least you can open the new ghost image after
applying the old one and copy your newer files from that image using
something like Ghost Explorer... Minimizing at least the loss of your
personal files. Another option would be creating/booting with something
like BartPE to copy files from the drives elsewhere.

Justin

Feb 18, 2007, 1:30:05 AM2/18/07

"Shenan Stanley" wrote:

> > If you have no solution to offer just dont waste our time.
>
> > I gave a solution already.
> > Review the thread.
> >

> Shenan Stanley
> MS-MVP

And I responded that the reinstallation option does not work.
I am waiting for less rhetoric and more actions on how to correct this
problem ASAP.

If you are an employee of MS, then you have failed to quell our ire over
this issue.
If you are not an employee of MS, then it is time to stop being soft-handed
lecturer who's trying to be helpful because all you are doing is causing more
flaming and tempers are sure to rise out of control over this issue.

Other helpful suggestions and ideas on correcting the problem at hand are
wanted.

Please stick to this format.

Bill Bradley

Feb 18, 2007, 1:51:26 AM2/18/07
This MIGHT be a great reason to "remind" Microsoft to NOT deadline the ERD
Commander product that they got when they brought the Winternals staff and
brains into Microsoft. ERD Commander will allow you to boot up and fix this
problem by removing the driver.

Last I read, Microsoft has decided to get rid of ERD Commander, in favor of
some kind of VISTA tool, leaving XP users in the lurch...

"Tallen Atear" <Talle...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Smirnoff

Feb 18, 2007, 3:41:01 AM2/18/07
I've had to do a complete reinstall.
"Last good configuration..." didn't work, although I let it try a dozen
times or more.
Could not boot into Safe Mode (with or without networking).
Tried recovery disk (repair) three times but after completion, still
could not boot up.
An absolute bloody disaster.

Shenan Stanley

Feb 18, 2007, 9:23:51 AM2/18/07
Justin wrote:
> And I responded that the reinstallation option does not work.
> I am waiting for less rhetoric and more actions on how to correct
> this problem ASAP.
>
> If you are an employee of MS, then you have failed to quell our ire
> over this issue.
> If you are not an employee of MS, then it is time to stop being
> soft-handed lecturer who's trying to be helpful because all you are
> doing is causing more flaming and tempers are sure to rise out of
> control over this issue.
>
> Other helpful suggestions and ideas on correcting the problem at
> hand are wanted.
>
> Please stick to this format.

I gave two further suggestions...

Justin

Feb 18, 2007, 9:40:18 AM2/18/07

"Bill Bradley" wrote:

> This MIGHT be a great reason to "remind" Microsoft to NOT deadline the ERD
> Commander product that they got when they brought the Winternals staff and
> brains into Microsoft. ERD Commander will allow you to boot up and fix this
> problem by removing the driver.
>
> Last I read, Microsoft has decided to get rid of ERD Commander, in favor of
> some kind of VISTA tool, leaving XP users in the lurch...

I've tried using Winternals to fix this problem but it's unable to break
through it. I also thought there might be an option where it can physically
roll-back the driver, but there was not.

Shenan Stanley

Feb 18, 2007, 9:56:58 AM2/18/07
Shenan Stanley wrote:
> Justin wrote:
>> And I responded that the reinstallation option does not work.
>> I am waiting for less rhetoric and more actions on how to correct
>> this problem ASAP.
>>
>> If you are an employee of MS, then you have failed to quell our ire
>> over this issue.
>> If you are not an employee of MS, then it is time to stop being
>> soft-handed lecturer who's trying to be helpful because all you are
>> doing is causing more flaming and tempers are sure to rise out of
>> control over this issue.
>>
>> Other helpful suggestions and ideas on correcting the problem at
>> hand are wanted.
>>
>> Please stick to this format.
>
> I gave two further suggestions...

Might also try:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310602

Use listsvc, find the device, disable, and boot into Safe Mode to rollback
using Driver Rollback or System Restore to the day before you installed the
driver.

Bill Bradley

Feb 18, 2007, 11:04:45 AM2/18/07
You couldn't even BOOT with ERD Commander, or, when you did, you weren't
able to change the driver--you should be able to "update" the driver back to
the old driver (from the vendor, or, Windows itself). I was able to do
this.
"Justin" <Jus...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Justin

Feb 18, 2007, 11:13:05 AM2/18/07

"Shenan Stanley" wrote:

> Might also try:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310602
>
> Use listsvc, find the device, disable, and boot into Safe Mode to rollback
> using Driver Rollback or System Restore to the day before you installed the
> driver.
>
> --
> Shenan Stanley
> MS-MVP

Shenan,

Do you happen to know the new driver names? I'm exploring this option
currently and having a heck of a time trying to identify the driver name.
That's is the hardest part of the whole plan.

Thanks!

Yuhong Bao

Feb 18, 2007, 1:16:45 PM2/18/07
Try disabling services using recovery console, it has a command for that.

Justin

Feb 18, 2007, 1:52:03 PM2/18/07
I am currently trying to do that, however, I don't see anything related back
to VIA for driver on IDE controllers.

I do see an Atapi driver, but I don't think that's what we're looking at.

Do you have any specific names for me to look at? What about in the Drivers
folder of System32?

Thanks!

TomKo

Feb 20, 2007, 1:29:10 PM2/20/07
I tried to repair my XP installation and it made things even worse. On my
installation I had XP on my E: drive and all my programs on F: drive. Now XP
says the F drive is corrupt and cannot be accessed and that the E: drive is
full. If you look at the actual files on the E: drive there is actually 32GB
free. In my Vista install I can access the F: drive normally, but even in
Vista it sees the E: drive as being full. I guess the only solution is to
reformat the E: drive and start from scratch! Thank you Microsoft! :)

In digging through the logs I see that the file that is screwing us all up
is WIAPRT.SYS. Surprisingly, in my update log it was giving errors while
installing it saying that the IDE drives were refusing the update. You would
think that if the hardware was rejecting the new drivers it would abort the
installation, but that makes too much sense!

*rain*drops*

Feb 21, 2007, 7:02:02 PM2/21/07
How do you use ERD Commander to fix it?

--