Re: 02-14-08 MS updates, IE won't get homepage

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Feb 14, 2008, 4:18:40 PM2/14/08
[X-post to IE General]

Windows version?

CrystalBall© sez:

Error message after you install a Windows Internet Explorer 7 update from
Windows Update or from Microsoft Update: "Webpage cannot be displayed":
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/942818

If tweaking your third-party firewall's settings don't help, try the
following:

1. Disable your anti-virus application, any real-time protection provided by
an anti-spyware application (except for Windows Defender; includes Spybot
Tea Timer, SpySweeper Guards, AVG AS guard.exe, etc.), disable any
third-party firewall AND enable the Windows Firewall.

browsing; reading email; chatting) except #4 below until your anti-virus
application has been re-enabled! If you're running ZA Free firewall, you
may need to uninstall it instead of disabling it.

2. Uninstall "Security Update for Windows Internet Explorer 7 (KB944533)"
via Add/Remove Programs (make sure Show Updates box is checked at top right)
and reboot.

3. Re-do #1 above.

4. Go to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com and install any Critical Updates
offered. If "Root Certificates" update is listed in the Optional Updates
category, you might install it, too, to take full advantage of IE7's
additional security.

5. Reboot > Make sure everything in #1 above is enabled again and, if
applicable, disable the Windows Firewall and enable your third-party
firewall.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net

Sharon wrote:
> I'm at a loss, have tried resetting IE settings, security settings, etc.
> Short of uninstalling IE and then reinstalling, I thought of setting my
> desktop back one restore point to get it back to working again.. Can
> anyone
> tell me which update is the culprit here? I vaguely remember looking at
> the
> updates, and all were security patches, I believe.
>
> I'm getting sick of having to fix my desktop everytime MS installs its
> updates. Would love some advice on how to fix this problem without
> restoring
> or reinstalling.. THANKS!

Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM

Feb 14, 2008, 9:12:25 PM2/14/08
> Sharon wrote:
>> I'm at a loss, have tried resetting IE settings, security settings, etc.
>> Short of uninstalling IE and then reinstalling, I thought of setting my
>> desktop back one restore point to get it back to working again.. Can
>> anyone
>> tell me which update is the culprit here? I vaguely remember looking at
>> the
>> updates, and all were security patches, I believe.
>>
>> I'm getting sick of having to fix my desktop everytime MS installs its
>> updates. Would love some advice on how to fix this problem without
>> restoring
>> or reinstalling.. THANKS!

Windows version?
I'm guessing IE7:
I know of three causes for the vast majority of such problems:
1. You might have incompatible add-ons:
Go to Start | All Programs | Accessories | System Tools
and click Internet Explorer (No Add-ons).

2. Tools | Internet Options | Advanced
Scroll to the bottom and click Reset Internet Explorer Settings. Read this
article first:
How to use Reset Internet Explorer Settings (RIES):
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737
Note that the Reset IE Settings button will delete AutoComplete data (such
as passwords.) Do you have those backed up?

3. Malware already installed on the computer: Help with malware
All MS-MVP Sites.
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827315

So How Did I Get Infected Anyway?
whose ads for
malware don't identify the malware as such and try to convince you that you
owe it to the author. See also:
of.

You might also try the steps here:
"Internet Explorer stops responding, stops working, or restarts"

Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM
www.fjsmjs.com
Do not reply with email

Sharon

Feb 15, 2008, 1:29:01 AM2/15/08
Windows Vers. XP-pro, Serv.Pak 2+all updates, I.E. 7+all updates. I tried
everything on your list exactly as you said to perform those, rebooted and
still get the Page Cannot Be Displayed on opening new browser window. Thanks
Robear, but it didn't work.. Still looking for a solution.

Sharon

Feb 15, 2008, 1:33:01 AM2/15/08
Thanks, Frank.. I did the IE reset, no change; then did the IE(7) without
add-ons, no change. Will try the sites you listed and check for malware. I
don't understand why the browser was working perfectly until those last
updates, I can't believe it would have nothing to do with those! But I'm open
and will try the malware scans to see what happens. Thanks again!

Franx

Feb 15, 2008, 2:31:01 AM2/15/08
I have the same problem with sharon. After the latest security update (as of
2/14/08), the IE7 suddenly stops to work. Already tried all your suggestions
but nothing seems to work. Tried resetting, did not work at all.

Kiloran

Feb 15, 2008, 9:19:02 AM2/15/08
I have the same problem as Sharon and have followed all of the suggestions
by both PA Bear and Frank Saunders with no success. I have completely
disabled both the windows firewall and my routers firewall , also disabled my
Kaspersky IS and reduced the Security and Privacy to Low in the IE7
Properties options.
I also contacted MS Consumer Technical Support by e-mail (Reside in UK) who
replied with the suggestion that I look at the Knowledge Base (I already had)
, check the Newsgroups and then call them on a premier line number if all
else fails.
What happened to 'Free' support for Windows Update problems?

Kiloran

Feb 15, 2008, 9:27:03 AM2/15/08

Should have said that I have Vista Ultimate with all Updates and no other
anti-spyware

Grutak

Feb 15, 2008, 10:44:50 AM2/15/08
I'm having a similar problem. I've tried everything listed above, and
also uninstalled IE7. The same problem occurs in IE6, but I noticed
something. In the bottem left corner, when I type in an address, like
cnn.com, the corner says "Connecting to http://www.cnn.com.edu" I
cant see it in IE7, but I'd assume the problem persists.

Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM

Feb 15, 2008, 9:54:56 AM2/15/08
This has come to my attention only after Robear cross-posted the message.
I need more details about the problem, like which error message you're
getting. This sounds like a case of one of the nasty anti-virus programs
like Norton or McAfee interfering with the install of an undate.

"Sharon" <Sha...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Feb 15, 2008, 10:45:08 AM2/15/08
Then it's not the same problem as Sharon: She's not running Vista and there
was a Vista-specific update (KB946456) that may be affecting you.

Support for Windows Update:

to a Security Update and cite the update's KB number (e.g., KB123456).

If your problem relates to a Cumulative Security Update for IE, call the
above number and ask to be transferred to the Consumer IE7 queue (which is
47830).

your usual support contacts.

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

AumHa VSOP & Admin; DTS-L.net

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Feb 15, 2008, 10:43:32 AM2/15/08
Then I suggest that you...

Sharon wrote:
> Windows Vers. XP-pro, Serv.Pak 2+all updates, I.E. 7+all updates. I tried
> everything on your list exactly as you said to perform those, rebooted and
> still get the Page Cannot Be Displayed on opening new browser window.
> Thanks
> Robear, but it didn't work.. Still looking for a solution.
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
>> [X-post to IE General]
>>
>> Windows version?

Kiloran

Feb 15, 2008, 2:44:03 PM2/15/08
Many thanks for your help PA Bear I have just sent another request away -
This was the reply from the one which I sent earlier:
Hi,
Thank you for your email about issues with Microsoft Windows Updates.
To enable us to help you resolve this issue, may I suggest on one of the
following:
A useful resource is the Knowledge Base on our website, where we have
published a large collection of articles and FAQs about our products. You can
access it by going to our website at:

You can also go online and visit our UK newsgroups to exchange ideas and
information with other Microsoft product users. There is also the chance to
talk to our Most Valued Professional (MVP).

http://support.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.aspx

If you do not find the answer you are looking for and wish to discuss your
alternative support options, please call our Customer Support team on 0870 60
10 100. The lines are open from 8am to 6pm, Monday to Friday, excluding
public holidays.

Thank you again for getting in touch.

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Feb 15, 2008, 4:20:09 PM2/15/08
Does the behavior persist if you uninstall "Security Update for Windows
Internet Explorer 7 (KB944533)" via Add/Remove Programs?

If so, did you clearly state in your first message that the problem was
caused by installing MS08-010 (KB944533) and that uninstalling it resolved
the problem?

Have you tried calling that phone number and telling the tech the same
thing, and that this should qualify for free support?

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Robert Aldwinckle

Feb 15, 2008, 11:10:00 PM2/15/08
"Grutak" <pizz...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> In the bottem left corner, when I type in an address, like cnn.com,

That's not really an "address"; it's a domain name.

> the corner says "Connecting to http://www.cnn.com.edu"

You're looking at the Status bar and that's a symptom of a deficient DNS.
It indicates that the DNS was so non-responsive that IE has gone into
an obsolete mode called AutoScan in which it attempts to find a server
by applying each of the URLTemplate(s) in turn. You can avoid the symptom
(and perhaps give your actual lookup more time) by disabling search from the
Address bar or always using a protocol prefix when you enter something there
(that you expect to be treated as a site name.)

> I cant see it in IE7, but I'd assume the problem persists.

Perhaps you have disabled search from the Address bar? <eg>

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
---

Kiloran

Feb 17, 2008, 4:16:01 AM2/17/08
The answer to both your questions is a Yes.
I was following a similar post with the same problem and I decided that
Kaspersky - even though I had disabled Anti virus and did not use the
Firewall - may be the culprit. I uninstalled the complete the programme,
reinstalled KB944533 and am now able to have normal access to webpages.
Thank you very much for your help - I am still awaiting a reply from
Microsoft Support - and I will make a decision as to whether to change my
anti virus programme or persist and contact Kaspersky for help.
Thanks again
John

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Feb 17, 2008, 10:46:25 AM2/17/08
John, thanks for your feedback on this and you're welcome. I can see that
you've posted about your success in another related thread:
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsupdate/browse_frm/thread/c90b0002518fc886

Recap:

1. Like several others here, you were running Kaspersky Internet Security
and had disabled the Kaspersky Firewall in favor of using the Windows
Firewall instead.

2. After installing MS08-010 (KB944533), attempting to open any page using
IE7 gave you a "Page cannot be displayed" error.

3. You tried disabling Kaspersky Anti-Virus then uninstalling/reinstalling
KB944533 without success.

4. After uninstalling Kaspersky Internet Security completely, you were able
to install KB944533 without IE7 giving you the "Page cannot be displayed"
error.

NB: Make certain that you either reinstall Kaspersky Internet Security or
another anti-virsus application ASAP! The machine should not be connected
to the internet without a fully functional anti-virus application and an
enabled firewall.

Judging from other related posts, it looks like the (disabled) Kaspersky
Firewall was the culprit here. I would suspect (but cannot prove) that
whatever you did to disable the Kaspersky Firewall did not, in fact,
completely disable it. If you decide to reinstall Kaspersky Internet
Security, I would recommend that you do NOT disable the firewall and use the
Windows Firewall instead. Or, if possible, see if you can do a Custom, not
default, (re)install of Kaspersky Internet Security and opt not to install
the firewall component at all.

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net