Re: IE7 printing problem after kb969897

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Jun 12, 2009, 12:13:52 PM6/12/09
[X-post to Windows Update]

You do NOT want to leave KB969897 uninstalled for any length of time, even
if its presence caused printing problems!

to a Security Update and cite the update's KB number (e.g., KB969897).

LOOK!! => If your problem relates to a Cumulative Security Update for IE,
call the above number and ask to be transferred to the "Consumer IE queue"
(which is 47830).

Support for Windows Update:

your usual support contacts.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
AumHa VSOP & Admin; DTS-L.net

Kris wrote:
> Hi,
>
> 1. Windows XP (x64) SP3 (SP2)
> 2. No error message and no print dialog popup from outlook 2003 / IE 7
> 3. Problem went away after uninstalling KB969897
> 4. No incompatible browser add-ons
> 5. -
> 6. -

>> Hi,
>> 1. Which version of Windows? (Including SP level- SP1, SP2, etc.)
>>
>> 2. What, specifically, is the printing problem? Is there an error
>> message?
>> Are other programs affected or just IE?
>>
>> 3. If you uninstall the update http://support.microsoft.com/kb/969897
>> does
>> the problem go away?
>>
>> 4. Check for an incompatible browser add-on.
>>
>> IEBlog Troubleshooting and Internet Explorer�s (No Add-ons) Mode:
>>
>> Problem: Crashes or hangs
>> http://www.enhanceie.com/ie/troubleshoot.asp
>>
>> 5. If the problem is not caused by an add-on, see if a third-party
>> program
>> is the cause.
>> 936214- How to troubleshoot compatibility problems that affect IE7 in
>> Windows Vista:
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936214 (Also applies to XP)
>>
>> 6. No charge support is available for security updates for home users in
>> the
>> US or Canada. For other locations see:
>> Look for "How to obtain help and support for this security update" at
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/969897
>> For other locations see:
>> http://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx?rdpath=4
>> -
>> Hope this helps,
>> Don
>> [MS MVP- IE]
>>

>> "Kris" <kris.van....@awe.be> wrote in message
>>> After patch tuesday and the installation of kb969897 I have a printing
>>> problem.
>>> Is there a workaround to fix this.
>>>
>>> Regards
>>> Kris

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Jun 12, 2009, 12:14:25 PM6/12/09
[x-post to Windows Update]

dmlutz wrote:

> On Jun 12, 2:05 am, "Kris" <kris.van.wijmeer...@awe.be> wrote:
>> After patch tuesday and the installation of kb969897 I have a printing
>> problem.
>> Is there a workaround to fix this.
>>
>> Regards
>> Kris
>

> I had the same problem. In addition to not being able to print (the
> print dialog box didn't even open), print preview would open a blank
> white window, page setup locked-up the browser window, and opening
> find or about IE 7 opened a blank white window. Uninstalling the IE
> update that installed on Tuesday (KB969897) resolved the issues.

...and leaves your computer subject to known vulnerabilities that ARE being
exploited currently!

to a Security Update and cite the update's KB number (e.g., KB999999).

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Jun 12, 2009, 2:45:10 PM6/12/09
[X-post to Windows Update newsgroup]

If Microsoft Software Inventory Analyzer (MSIA) is installed, uninstall it.

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

dmlutz

Jun 13, 2009, 9:59:34 AM6/13/09
On Jun 12, 12:45 pm, "PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABear...@gmail.com> wrote:
> [X-post to Windows Update newsgroup]
>
> If Microsoft Software Inventory Analyzer (MSIA) is installed, uninstall it.
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>

> Kris wrote:
> > Hi,
>
> > 1. Windows XP (x64) SP3 (SP2)
> > 2. No error message and no print dialog popup from outlook 2003 / IE 7
> > 3. Problem went away after uninstalling KB969897
> > 4. No incompatible browser add-ons
> > 5. -
> > 6. -
>
> > "Don Varnau" <don_04[at]varnau[dot]org> wrote in message
> >> Hi,
> >> 1. Which version of Windows? (Including SP level- SP1, SP2, etc.)
>
> >> 2. What, specifically, is the printing problem? Is there an error
> >> message?
> >> Are other programs affected or just IE?
>
> >> 3. If you uninstall the updatehttp://support.microsoft.com/kb/969897

> >> does
> >> the problem go away?
>
> >> 4. Check for an incompatible browser add-on.
>
> >> IEBlog  Troubleshooting and Internet Explorer’s (No Add-ons) Mode:

> >>http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2006/07/25/678113.aspx
>
> >> Problem: Crashes or hangs
> >>http://www.enhanceie.com/ie/troubleshoot.asp
>
> >> 5. If the problem is not caused by an add-on, see if a third-party
> >> program
> >> is the cause.
> >> 936214- How to troubleshoot compatibility problems that affect IE7 in
> >> Windows Vista:
> >>http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936214(Also applies to XP)

> >> 6. No charge support is available for security updates for home users in
> >> the
> >> US or Canada. For other locations see:
> >> Look for "How to obtain help and support for this security update" at
> >>http://support.microsoft.com/kb/969897
> >> For other locations see:
> >>http://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx?rdpath=4
> >> -
> >> Hope this helps,
> >> Don
> >> [MS MVP- IE]
>
> >> "Kris" <kris.van.wijmeer...@awe.be> wrote in message

------------
Thank you! Reinstalling KB969897and uninstalling Microsoft Software
Inventory Analyzer (MSIA) resolved the issue.

Dawn

Pico

Jun 16, 2009, 1:31:17 PM6/16/09
Dear Robear Dyer,

I had the same problem.
Reinstalling KB969897and uninstalling Microsoft Software Inventory
Analyzer (MSIA) resolved the issue.
Thanks!
Thanks!
Thanks!
Pedro Pico

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Jun 16, 2009, 3:30:40 PM6/16/09
You're welcome!
You're welcome!
You're welcome!

An MS Support tells us privately of a(nother) possible workaround: Remove
the .DLG File Association in Windows Explorer: Folder Options | File Types
tab. Once it has been deleted, IE printing should start working normally
again.

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Jun 16, 2009, 5:49:31 PM6/16/09
This just in!...

Ask the IE Support Team Blog: Printing functionality fails in Internet
Explorer 7 and 8 on Windows XP
http://blogs.msdn.com/askie/archive/2009/06/16/printing-functionality-fails-in-internet-explorer-7-and-8-on-windows-xp.aspx

<QP>
In troubleshooting this behavior, we have found that uninstalling the
Microsoft Software Inventory Analyzer software, via Add or Remove Programs
option in Control panel, resolves these printing functionality issues. This
is our recommendation.

Deeper troubleshooting of this issue indicates a registry key added by the
Microsoft Software Inventory Analyzer, may be the root cause of the
failure...
</QP>

PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
> You're welcome!
> You're welcome!
> You're welcome!
>
> An MS Support tells us privately of a(nother) possible workaround: Remove
> the .DLG File Association in Windows Explorer: Folder Options | File Types
> tab. Once it has been deleted, IE printing should start working normally
> again.

Adrian Marsh

Jun 17, 2009, 5:17:46 AM6/17/09
Removing the DLG association worked for me.
This has been driving me mad for ages!!

Glad I spent two ticks to check the newsgroup.

Mine was on IE8

Ta muchly. IE8 and Office 2003 back to printing again..

Vincenzo Di Russo [MVP]

Jun 24, 2009, 2:02:29 AM6/24/09

Update:
http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/InternetExplorer/thread/920588e5-ccc4-4e24-83d6-606d5e3b1c70/#88ac34eb-abf2-4f41-bb57-ba0868f7dc55

--
Vincenzo Di Russo
Microsoft� MVP - Most Valuable Professional since 2003