Re: KB913446 Failure

Bobbie Harder (MSFT)

Feb 14, 2006, 11:20:47 PM2/14/06
Folks:

After the release of MS06-007 today (Tuesday 14 February 2006) , Microsoft
became aware of an issue affecting the installation of MS06-007 (KB913446).
After investigating the issue we validated reported failures to install the
security update through Automatic Updates, Windows Update, Windows Server
Update Services and Systems Management Server 2003 when using the Inventory
Tool for Microsoft Updates (ITMU). As some of you noted, the issue did not
affect customers who installed the updates through Software Update Services
or through Systems Management Server when not using ITMU, or manually
installed the Security Update from the Microsoft Download Center.

We also validated the issue did not affect the security update MS06-007
(KB913446) itself. When successfully installed, MS06-007 fully protects
against the Internet Group Management Protocol (IGMP) vulnerability. Also,
the installation issue only affects MS06-007; no other security updates were
affected by this issue.

We have updated the release for these distribution channels to correct the
issue. Customers who encountered this issue should take the following
actions:
1. Automatic Updates (AU) - AU customers need take no action: the new
updates will automatically download.
2. Windows Server Update Services (WSUS) - WSUS Administrators who had
synchronized their WSUS Server to obtain the updates released on Tuesday 14
February, before 8:30PM PST that evening should manually synchronize their
WSUS Servers and approve the new updates.
3. Systems Management Server 2003 with the Inventory Tool for Microsoft
Updates (ITMU) - SMS Administrators should who had synchronized their
servers to obtain the updates released on Tuesday 14 February, before 8:30PM
PST that evening should re-synchronize their servers for the latest updates.
4. Microsoft Update (MU) and Windows Update - Customers who visited MU and
WU before 8:30 PM on Tuesday February 14th, should revisit MU or WU and
accept the downloads being offered to them.

Our investigation has determined there was an issue in the distribution
infrastructure in handling this particular update which has been identified
and resolved. Microsoft is taking steps to prevent similar issues from
occurring in the future.

Bobbie
--
Bobbie Harder
Program Manager, WSUS

This posting is provided "As Is" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
"John J. Jobst" <john.j...@us.army.mil> wrote in message
> The subject update fails to install on WSUS clients after approving it for
> installation. It also fails from the Windows Update Web Site and Windows
> Automatic Updates. It works perfectly if you download it from Microsoft
> Windows Downloads. Any word on when it will be fixed? Thanks.

Hank Arnold

Feb 15, 2006, 4:27:17 AM2/15/06
Thanks for posting this. Just another example why I recommend that people
follow the MS newsgroups.....

Also, another example of why it's a good idea sometimes to wait a day or so
to test on a small group of machines before rolling updates out to large
numbers of systems....

--
Regards,
Hank Arnold

"Bobbie Harder (MSFT)" <bob...@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message

sportsnut2

Feb 15, 2006, 9:59:27 AM2/15/06
Bobbie:

KB913446 failed during download via windowsupdate yesterday, so I manually
downloaded that update from:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=7BB21D74-C37B-472B-BB10-71D4680680A7&displaylang=enmicrosoft.com.

The KB913446 update shows up in 'add/remove programs' under control panel,
which I'm led to believe is absolute confirmation that the KB913446 update
was installed successfully.

However, when I subsequently go to windowsupdate to check to see if there
are other 'critical/high' updates, it doesn't even list under the 'updates
already installed' that that update has been installed (it just lists it as a
failed install twice--it had failed both times during the download process &
never got to the install part of the process).

Is the listing under 'add/remove' prgrams for 913446 the only confirmation I
need?
Please advise. Thanks!

Torgeir Bakken (MVP)

Feb 15, 2006, 10:42:59 AM2/15/06

When installing an update manually yourself, you will not find this
installation in the WU history, but that will not cause any issues.

If you got no error messages during the manual installation, and you
can locate an entry for the update in Add/Remove Programs, you can
safely assume that it is installed successfully.

sportsnut2 wrote:

--
torgeir, Microsoft MVP Scripting, Porsgrunn Norway
the 1328 page Scripting Guide: