RE: Windows and Defender can't check for updates

Kris Rhodes

May 22, 2009, 1:02:11 AM5/22/09
Correction: "lowe left" near the top of that message should read "lower right".

Rhodes@discussions.microsoft.com Kris Rhodes

May 22, 2009, 1:00:09 AM5/22/09
I would appreciate any help anyone could offer.

I am running Windows Vista.

This evening, a popup appeared in the lowe left portion of my desktop that
said "Windows can't check for updates." I am certain this hasn't shown up
before today--one of the three paranoid people in my household would have
noticed--but upon investigating, I see that my Update has not installed an
update since March 7th and hasn't searched for an update since March 13th.

When I click on the icon generating the "Windows can't check for updates"
popup, it takes me to Windows Update, and tells me I have an important update
to install. But when I try to install it, it says "Code 80240016: Windows
Update is currently installing other updates. Please try again in a few
minutes."

As far as I can tell, this is not true. I have been trying to install this
update for a few hours now. Rebooting the machine has no effect.

When I click on "check for updates" in Windows Update, I get "Code 80072EFD:
Windows Update encountered an unknown error."

I have run, tonight, Spybot Search and Destroy as well as Malwarebytes'
Anti-Malware (both fully updated--and it may be important to note that I
_can_ update both of these programs) and neither found anything other than a
few tracking cookies which are now gone.

Please tell me what further information you might need in order to be able
assist me here. And thank you in advance!

Kris Rhodes

May 22, 2009, 1:07:02 AM5/22/09
Addendum:

I forgot to mention, the important update in question is KB951847 --
Microsoft .Net 3.5 SP1.

I also forgot to add--Windows Defender also is unable to check for
definition updates. Code: 0x80072efd, which I guess is the same as one of the
codes given by Windows Update as described in my first post.

Kris Rhodes

May 22, 2009, 1:14:07 AM5/22/09
I just performed the solution given here:

But it did not solve the problem. I detect no change in how the program is
behaving.

-Kris
!

TaurArian

May 22, 2009, 3:30:26 AM5/22/09
Kris Rhodes wrote:
:: Addendum:

Error: 80072EFD = ERROR_INTERNET_CANNOT_CONNECT
Translation: Cannot connect to the Internet server

There's a possibility that either a 3rd party firewall, anti-spyware
program, web accelerator, Internet security/antivirus program and/or a proxy
server is interfering with the Windows Update Services (SVCHOST) accessing
the Internet.

You may encounter temporary connection-related errors when you use Windows
Update or Microsoft Update to install updates
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/836941

How to troubleshoot definition update issues for Windows Defender
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/918355

--

TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2009 - Update Services
http://taurarian.mvps.org

Ǝиçεl

May 22, 2009, 8:53:00 AM5/22/09
Hello Kris,

This is probably easy to fix.

Start, all programs, accessories.

Right-click command prompt and choose "run as administrator"

In the resulting command prompt window, type

sfc /scannow

and hit enter.

This should correct the problem.
-=-

.: Ǝиçεl :.

PA Bear [MS MVP]

May 22, 2009, 12:44:08 PM5/22/09
There is a very good chance that you are seeing the effects of a hijackware
infection!

logs in an appropriate forum, not here.

Checking for/Help with Hijackware
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=4075