uninstall 958215-cannot find plugin.OCX.000

Judy

Dec 27, 2008, 4:30:01 PM12/27/08
I have WindowsXP Home SP2 IE6. dialup.

I originally installed 958215 and 960714 on 12/17, in that order.

Yesterday(12/26) I found that the Index in my Help and Support had a red x
and was blank. I uninstalled 958215 because all of these IE cumulative
updates do that (so I do not install them normally). When it was
uninstalling, I got a message window that said 960714 may not work properly.
Clicked ok. The Index in Help and Support now was there. Because of the
message, I uninstalled 960714 and reinstalled it from WU. The Index was
blank again.

So then I did a system restore to the point before reinstalling 960714.
Index still blank. I undid that system restore.

I tried a system restore to the next restore point, 12/24. I then tried to
uninstall 958215. This gave me window titled Files Needed and said The file
‘plugin.ocx.000 on Windows NT Service Pack Uninstall Directory is needed.
Type the path where the file is located, and then click ok. In the Copy
Files From space is the location of the uninstall file
C:\WINDOWS\$NtUninstallKB958215$. I uninstalled the960714.

I have done a search and this file is not on my computer. I am showing
hidden files and folders, and do not have system files hidden.

I went to WU and reinstalled 958215, but that file is still missing when I
try to uninstall it.

Through all this, after the first restore I believe it was, my Anti-Virus
Realtime Scan stopped working. I could not restart it and all of the
settings for it were unticked and would not reset. So today I restored to
12/26 to the point where I reinstalled the 960714. My Realtime Scan is now
working. But I forgot to undo the previous restore.

Now what do I do. What I’m trying to accomplish is to get the Index back.
And where can I get the plugin.ocx.000 file to uninstall 958215.

Thanks for any help someone can give me.

Judy

Judy

Dec 27, 2008, 4:51:01 PM12/27/08
I'm sorry if this is posted twice but it was here a few minutes ago, now it
is gone, I don't see it.

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Dec 27, 2008, 5:28:36 PM12/27/08
What a mess!

Take the machine to a local, reputable and independent (i.e., not
BigBoxStoreUSA or Geek Squad) computer repair shop.

Save the following for future reference:

security updates.

If your problem relates to a Cumulative Security Update for IE, call the
above number and ask to be transferred to the "Consumer IE queue" (which is
47830).

Support for Windows Update:

your usual support contacts.
--