unable to install updates

Clorey

Oct 6, 2008, 12:19:05 PM10/6/08
I recently had to reformat the hard drive and reinstall Windows XP. Since
then I cannot update windows files. They seem to install, but won't update.
What can I do to stop this from happening? I read stuff from other people,
but I would really appreciate an answer from someone myself.
--
Help and Thank you

Shenan Stanley

Oct 6, 2008, 12:40:12 PM10/6/08

The answer won't likely change. If it was given to 1000 people for the same
problem you are experiencing - it will probably be given to a 1000 more
because they wanted a personal answer (or did not search/actually try to
comprehend the answers they did find because it did not sound *exactly* like
their problem...)

I believe what you meant to say was, "The seem to download but will not
install..."

So, here you go.

First thing to try:
As many will tell you - ignore the title and symptoms listed in the article
referred to. Do method 1 and 2 and see if it fixes your issue whether or
not you repaired anything.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144
Try method 1 and try to update*.
If fails - try method 2 and try to update*.

*try to update:
- Visit http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/
- If it asks you to install anything before you see a selection of "Custom"
or "Express" - do so.
- Once you see the "Custom" or "Express" selection, choose "Custom".
- Scan for updates.
- When it lists what it finds - install the critical ones.
- You are generally safe doing the Optional Software Updates. I suggest
avoiding the Optional Hardware Updates completely.

Second thing to try:
http://www.codeplex.com/aureset

Third thing to try:
Get Dial-a-Fix:
http://wiki.djlizard.net/Dial-a-fix

Use its options to fix:
- Windows Installer
- Windows Update
- All the Registration Center options.

Turn off the "Empty System32\Catroot 2"
Do NOT do "Flush SoftwareDistribution".

Then click "GO" and wait until it is done... Reboot will be needed.

- Download/Install Windows Update v3.
(You *may* need to install it using the command line switch "/wuforce"
right after the reboot - immediately after logging in.)

- Reboot.
- Visit http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/ and scan for/install updates.

Usually - method one from the first suggestion fixes the issue.
Sometimes they have to proceed to method two from the first suggestion.

Less seldom - but it does happen - only the tool from the second suggestion
will work - although the first suggestion is contained within the second in
many ways (as well as some of the third.)

And the third suggestion is there because before there was a suggestion (1)
and a suggestion (2) - the third was the best bet and worked in most cases.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Oct 6, 2008, 12:46:26 PM10/6/08
Posted 20-30 times a week in this newsgroup:

Update, or by using Automatic Updates after you perform a new Windows XP
installation or you repair a Windows XP installation
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net

Clorey

Oct 6, 2008, 2:21:01 PM10/6/08
Hello, I have done everything that you have suggested I do and it still
doesn't work. The computer says for download\installWindowsUpdateV3 that is
is already installed. I just don't know what to do now. Should I try to
install Service Pack 3 all by itself? Thanks for all your help and typing.
--
Help and Thank you

Shenan Stanley

Oct 6, 2008, 2:56:50 PM10/6/08
<snipped>

Clorey wrote:
> I have done everything that you have suggested I do and it
> still doesn't work. The computer says for
> download\installWindowsUpdateV3 that is is already installed. I
> just don't know what to do now. Should I try to install Service
> Pack 3 all by itself? Thanks for all your help and typing.

I have seen people *believe* they did as instructed, yet they glossed over
or did not understand a step. So I have come up with a little more details
on my first two suggestions that should - if followed - get you through the
normal Windows XP update issues.

Also - you mentioned SP3 - I have to wonder now - are you only having issues
with the SP3 update - or any updates?

Let's try a little more detailed instructions...

Do the following:

Start button --> RUN and type in:
%SystemRoot%\system32\net stop wuauserv
--> Click OK.

Start button --> RUN and type in:
%SystemRoot%\system32\regsvr32 %SystemRoot%\system32\wups2.dll
--> Click OK.

Start button --> RUN and type in:
%SystemRoot%\system32\net start wuauserv
--> Click OK.

... and save it to the root of your C:\ drive. After saving it to the root
of the C:\ drive, do the following:

Close all Internet Explorer Windows and other applications.

Start button --> RUN and type in:
--> Click OK.

Reboot.

Log on as an user with administrative rights and open Internet Explorer and
visit http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/ and select to do a CUSTOM scan...

Once the scan is done, select all the critical, any of the optional software
updates you want and *none* of the option hardware updates and install them.
Reboot again.

If all that fails for you, get this:
(Thanks to MowGreen!)

- Download and *save*: AU Check (v78)
http://www.codeplex.com/aureset/Release/ProjectReleases.aspx?ReleaseId=17263

- Once the download completes, close all open browsers and programs.

- Physically disconnect the system from the Internet for now (pull the
wire.)

- TOTALLY disable the installed antivirus/security suite**
Either read the UserGuide/Help file included with the product or visit
the manufacturer's web site so that *all* services and processes are
stopped.

- Since the system needs to be re-connected to the net/network, enable
the native Windows firewall for now (Disable any third party firewalls.)
1.Click Start, click Run, type Firewall.cpl, and then click OK.
2.On the General tab, click On (recommended), and then click OK.

- Connect the machine physically back to the Internet.

- Install au_check_v78_codeplex.exe now. Be patient as the operation can
take some time.

- Reboot.

**Re-enable the installed AV/security suite [if a 3rd party firewall was
disabled, re-enable that too, then disable the native Windows firewall.]

- Log on as an user with administrative rights and open Internet Explorer
and
visit http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/ and select to do a CUSTOM scan...

- Once the scan is done, select all the critical, any of the optional
software
updates you want and *none* of the option hardware updates and install them.
Reboot again.

Come back and let us know of any errors you encountered - verbatim. Don't
try to RECALL as you go - but write down the errors word-for-word. ;-)

Clorey

Oct 7, 2008, 8:35:00 AM10/7/08
Shenan,
I have not reinstalled XP3 since I reformatted the drive and reinstalled
everything. I am now going to try to follow the instructions you have sent to
me. Thank you so much for all of your help. I will let you know if it works.
Clorey

--
Help and Thank you

"Shenan Stanley" wrote:

> .... and save it to the root of your C:\ drive. After saving it to the root

Clorey

Oct 7, 2008, 8:52:01 AM10/7/08
from you Hi again Shenan,
I am trying to follow your instructions and the first line worked fine and
something popped up on the screen and disappeared, but when I typed in the
second line, this is what popped up: LoadLibrary("%")failed - The specified
module could not be found. Am I supposed to be typing in the instructions
with no spaces, caps or second lines? I am trying to type the way it looks to
me in your instructions. Please help me and thanks. Clorey

--
Help and Thank you

"Shenan Stanley" wrote:

> .... and save it to the root of your C:\ drive. After saving it to the root

Shenan Stanley

Oct 7, 2008, 9:01:02 AM10/7/08
<snipped>
Entire conversation can be found here:
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsupdate/browse_frm/thread/a5e43ae75ed92d04/5d37eb55188532a4#5d37eb55188532a4

Clorey wrote:
> I am trying to follow your instructions and the first line worked
> fine and something popped up on the screen and disappeared, but
> when I typed in the second line, this is what popped up:
> LoadLibrary("%")failed - The specified module could not be found.
> Am I supposed to be typing in the instructions with no spaces, caps
> or second lines? I am trying to type the way it looks to me in your
> instructions. Please help me and thanks. Clorey

Are you saying this line:

%SystemRoot%\system32\regsvr32 %SystemRoot%\system32\wups2.dll

fails?

Typed as shown, only one space in the entire line - after "regsvr32" and
before the second "%SystemRoot%"...

What version of Windows XP do you have?

Start button --> RUN --> type in:
winver
--> Click OK.

At the top of the window that opens, what does the graphic say you have?
What about the 'Version' line in the window - the entire line to the last
")"?

Clorey

Oct 14, 2008, 4:26:23 PM10/14/08
Thanks to all of you who tried to help me with this problem. What I did was
install Windows XP SP3 and after this tried to install all the other updates
and for some unknown reason, they all updated and my computer is fine now. I
literally spent days trying to get the programs you suggested to work for me,
but they didn't.
--
Thank you

PA Bear [MS MVP]