Re: windows defender update

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Feb 21, 2008, 1:47:48 AM2/21/08
Can you update manually by downloading definition updates via the right-hand
menu here? =>

Microsoft Malware Protection Center - Top Detections:
http://www.microsoft.com/security/portal/

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net

C Cunard wrote:
> Every time windows defender updates it says it failed - code 0x800736B1
> What can I do to make it except the update?

Robert Aldwinckle

Feb 21, 2008, 2:05:30 AM2/21/08
"C Cunard" <CCu...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> Every time windows defender updates it says it failed - code 0x800736B1
> What can I do to make it except the update?

<cmd_output OS="XPsp2">
F:\>set /a c= 0x36B1
14001
F:\>net helpmsg %c%

This application has failed to start because the application configuration
is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem.

</cmd_output>

> --
> C Cunard

Cebula@discussions.microsoft.com Mike Cebula

Apr 23, 2009, 12:08:01 AM4/23/09
Same basic problem with same error code. Manually downloaded the definition
update and let it run. Guess is that it ran but never told me anything - ok,
error, or whatever. R0x800736B1 an Windows Update again to see if it still
said I needed the update. Yup. Told it to install it. (Didn't need download,
alreadh on pc.) FAILED again.

0x800736B1 code is not very informative. Best I can guess reading through
various forums is a .dll file (or files?) may be missing - no clue just what.

Help!

Mike

Robert Aldwinckle

Apr 23, 2009, 1:01:27 AM4/23/09

"Mike Cebula" <Mike Ceb...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:74532281-E3F7-4EC4...@microsoft.com...

> Same basic problem with same error code. Manually downloaded the definition
> update and let it run. Guess is that it ran but never told me anything - ok,
> error, or whatever. R0x800736B1 an Windows Update again to see if it still
> said I needed the update. Yup. Told it to install it. (Didn't need download,
> alreadh on pc.) FAILED again.
>

> 0x800736B1 code is not very informative. Best I can guess reading through
> various forums is a .dll file (or files?) may be missing - no clue just what.

I doubt it. Where did you get that idea?

<cmd_output OS="XPsp3">
E:\>set /a c = 0x36B1
14001
E:\>net helpmsg %c%

This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect.
Reinstalling the application may fix this problem.
</cmd_output>

BTW I only recently installed WD, so that may be why I can see that message.
I was actually expecting that it would be an unknown message number. ; )

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
---

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Apr 24, 2009, 1:59:58 AM4/24/09
Please begin a new thread about /your/ problem, Mike.

Mike Cebula

Apr 25, 2009, 2:02:03 AM4/25/09
Did uninstall of Defender, then reinstalled. Problem no longer exists -
unless next update fails with same/similar error code. Will open new thread
if that occurs.