0x8024001D

Piet

Jun 21, 2005, 8:09:01 AM6/21/05
Trying to run the new Microsoft Update I get this errorcode: 0x8024001D

Whatever I try, I cannot work around it. I think I am run the latest
version, including all necessary updates and service packs (SP2). In addition
Microsofts Antispyware and Mcafee Virusscan 9.0 - could these programmes have
anything to do with my problem?

Thanks for your help

Torgeir Bakken (MVP)

Jun 21, 2005, 8:18:55 AM6/21/05
Piet wrote:

Hi,

Please try the following:

Click Start >> Run >>
Type the follow command in the Open box.
"net.exe stop wuauserv" (w/o quotes)
Press Ok

Repeat the same for the following commands:

regsvr32.exe wuapi.dll
regsvr32.exe wups.dll
regsvr32.exe wuaueng.dll
regsvr32.exe wucltui.dll
regsvr32.exe msxml3.dll
net.exe start wuauserv

Now try WU site again.

the 1328 page Scripting Guide:

Piet

Jun 21, 2005, 10:26:02 AM6/21/05
Thanks for your help, unfortunately the same error occurs despite following
your advice. I am actually running a german Windows version, does that make
any difference for your work around?

Piet

Torgeir Bakken (MVP)

Jun 21, 2005, 11:09:56 AM6/21/05
Piet wrote:

> Thanks for your help, unfortunately the same error occurs despite
> following your advice. I am actually running a german Windows
> version, does that make any difference for your work around?

Hi,

No, that does not make any difference.

Delete the SoftwareDistribution folder and see if it helps.

Note that a side effect of renaming or deleting the SoftwareDistribution
folder is that you lose your WU/AU History listing (not critical).

Note that you will need to stop the "Automatic Updates" service before
you are allowed to delete this folder, here is how:

Start/Run --> services.msc

Then find "Automatic Updates" in the list, and double click on it.

If the service status is "Started", press the Stop button.

You can now delete the C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution folder.

Piet

Jun 22, 2005, 1:55:06 PM6/22/05
Thank you very much, that worked now!

Cheers, Piet

Of Sorrow@discussions.microsoft.com King Of Sorrow

Jun 27, 2005, 8:37:03 AM6/27/05
How can i ever thank you!!!! i thought i reached the end point with this
error, and i was panicked the whole time coz of this prob. and by the way
not a single other site gives the solution or even mention this error!! thanx
allooooottttt :):) i returned my smile back again!

MF@discussions.microsoft.com Héctor MF

Jun 29, 2005, 2:34:02 AM6/29/05
Gracias, amigo, Thank You, it was helpful

Jimzalabim

Jul 3, 2005, 6:27:03 PM7/3/05
Thanks for your posting ! I had bags of fun today, trying to solve this
problem. You're a star !

JP

Aug 31, 2005, 1:59:13 PM8/31/05
I have the same problem. I already try this script, and the problem is the
same.
Pedro

Torgeir Bakken (MVP)

Anderson@discussions.microsoft.com Jim Anderson

Sep 24, 2005, 2:24:03 PM9/24/05

"Torgeir Bakken (MVP)" wrote:

> Piet wrote:
>
> > Thanks for your help, unfortunately the same error occurs despite
> > following your advice. I am actually running a german Windows
> > version, does that make any difference for your work around?
> Hi,
>
> No, that does not make any difference.
>
> Delete the SoftwareDistribution folder and see if it helps.
>
> Note that a side effect of renaming or deleting the SoftwareDistribution
> folder is that you lose your WU/AU History listing (not critical).
>
> Note that you will need to stop the "Automatic Updates" service before
> you are allowed to delete this folder, here is how:
>
> Start/Run --> services.msc
>
> Then find "Automatic Updates" in the list, and double click on it.
>
> If the service status is "Started", press the Stop button.
>
> You can now delete the C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution folder.

Thanks!!! I would pay for such advice! It finally worked!

Jomercad

Oct 12, 2005, 9:13:04 AM10/12/05
Thanks a lot. It work out deleting SoftwareDistribution folder

ryan

Nov 1, 2005, 6:46:49 PM11/1/05

mister

Nov 20, 2005, 5:16:23 PM11/20/05

Thank u so much for the solution to error message regarding windows
update, your the only person i've found who got the solution to this!

Thanks again

--
mister
mister's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=11798

Giudice@discussions.microsoft.com Del Giudice

Nov 24, 2005, 11:13:06 AM11/24/05
"Torgeir Bakken (MVP)" wrote:

Muito Obrigado meu amigo!!

Thanks four your help, my friend!

fox

Nov 30, 2005, 5:56:03 PM11/30/05
this worked for me even on a Windows 2000 machine.

lunatic

Dec 20, 2005, 3:56:36 PM12/20/05
wooooooooooooooooooooooooow, thnx dude, you are wonderfull

groeten uit holland

Aysegul

Dec 22, 2005, 6:52:54 AM12/22/05

Coppertone

Feb 11, 2006, 12:30:26 PM2/11/06
Fantastic! I tried everything but nothing worked. I then followed these
instructions including deleting the folder (scary for someone who knows
nothing of computers) and it worked. Thanks Torgier.

Han

Mar 7, 2006, 9:06:27 AM3/7/06
Great thanks for solving this problem

Hardy159

Apr 11, 2006, 4:34:01 PM4/11/06
Followed thsi but PC kept f...... up. Could afterwards not access WU and
google but Yahoo was OK.

Characteristics to this behaviour:

When shoting down: Automatic updates "You get an error message"

If this happens DO NOT delete SoftwareDistribution Folder YET

Restart windows and restart Automatic Updates.

Download WinsockXPfix

http://www.majorgeeks.com/WinSock_XP_Fix_d4372.html

Check that You when running services.msc are having BITS (Background
Intelligent Transfer) installed and that it is running. If not download it
from:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?amp;displaylang=en&familyid=49AE8576-9BB9-4126-9761-BA8011FABF38&displaylang=en

and remember to change it to Your OS language before downloading.

Install BITS if You did not allready have it.
restart PC
install WinsockXPFix and run it.
restart PC

Follow original procedure with regard to shutting down Windows Update and
deleting SoftwareDistribution Folder.

Run Services.msc again.
restart Windows Update and set it to Atomatic
Check that BITS are running if not Start it and set it to Automatic
Check that Eventlogging is running if not Start it and set it to Automatic.

Now You probably are able to run updates again. This worked for me after
having reinstalled my PC 3 times and each time ended up with same update
problems and problems with IE hanging.

For Your information I am not PC Tech Nerd but this was just the solution
that worked for me. Above information is gathered from various sources on WWW.

Kannan@discussions.microsoft.com Senthil Kannan

Jul 4, 2006, 11:59:01 PM7/4/06
Super !!!! Thanks

emiliotuur

Jul 16, 2006, 10:13:01 AM7/16/06
another happy user here. thanks people

emiliotuur

& Anna@discussions.microsoft.com May & Anna

Aug 5, 2006, 4:24:02 AM8/5/06
Dear Torgeir Bakken

We had the same problem, and your solution definitely worked!

We love you!!! Thank you very much for your valuable advice. Microsoft FAQ
doesn't help much compared to you!

Special thanks Google for leading us to this page!!!

Choco!

Aug 11, 2006, 3:17:44 PM8/11/06

Dear Torgeir,
YES, yes, yes!! it worked! followed ALL your instructions and alls well
now...whew! thank god! I was starting to think that my laptop had
packed up or something!
Also a million thanks to GOOGLE for leading me to this forum and all
you nice folks!
Cheers to all.... and thx once again...Torgeir!!!
Hurrah!

devarajanvenkata

Aug 28, 2006, 5:28:33 PM8/28/06
Dear Choco and Torgier,
I find that many people have had this problem and had received this
error message 0x8024001D.

Can we not ask Microsoft Technical department to investigate cause of
this error and provide automatic failsafe solution for the benefit of
persons who are not well versed in computers?

Devarajan.

KenW

Sep 16, 2006, 12:27:02 AM9/16/06
You rock, Torgeir!! Worked great after a lot of failures!
Ken

dragonemp

Oct 25, 2006, 6:21:03 PM10/25/06
thanks for the solution