Windows XP Automatic updates

Winky

Dec 30, 2007, 12:36:01 AM12/30/07
Fail to install, I have 45 updates that fail everytime I try to install them.

Shenan Stanley

Dec 30, 2007, 12:45:50 AM12/30/07
Winky wrote:
> Fail to install, I have 45 updates that fail everytime I try to
> install them.

Not much information.

What about custom installation from the http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/
?
Have you performed a clean/repair install lately?

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Shenan Stanley

Dec 30, 2007, 9:41:27 AM12/30/07
Message in its entirety:
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsupdate/browse_frm/thread/96b01ef72bffc66a/2dd29c2913559fa7?lnk=st&q=insubject%3AWindows+insubject%3AXP+insubject%3AAutomatic+insubject%3Aupdates#2dd29c2913559fa7

Discoduck wrote:
> for the record Method 1 here, worked no problem.
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=943144

Looks like you searched and found your own solution. That's good.

For those curious as to why I asked and likely what Discoduck found (I
removed the no archive that Discoduck put in the above response and copied
Discoduck's response and added the full response below so the solution would
be archived for searches again...) - Here it is once more (searches work
great!):

Updates are not installed successfully from Windows Update,
from Microsoft Update, or by using Automatic Updates after
you repair a Windows XP installation
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144

Can't figure that out?

Get Dial-a-Fix:
http://wiki.djlizard.net/Dial-a-fix

Use its options to fix:
- Windows Installer
- Windows Update
- All the Registration Center options.

Turn off the "Empty System32\Catroot 2"
Do NOT do "Flush SoftwareDistribution".

Then click "GO" and wait until it is done... Reboot will be needed.

- Download/Install Windows Update v3.

http://download.windowsupdate.com/WindowsUpdate/redist/standalone/7.0.6000.381/WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe
(You *may* need to install it using the command line switch "/wuforce"
right after the reboot - immediately after logging in.)

- Download/Install the 927891 patch.
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=7A81B0CD-A0B9-497E-8A89-404327772E5A

- Reboot.

- Visit http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/ and scan for/install updates.

- Come back and let us know how things went!

Bezzer007

Dec 30, 2007, 1:37:00 PM12/30/07
Thjis fixed my problem as well. Thanks!

"Discoduck" wrote:

> x-no-archive:

Mary

Dec 30, 2007, 3:22:03 PM12/30/07

Mary

Dec 30, 2007, 3:25:00 PM12/30/07

Shenan Stanley

Dec 30, 2007, 3:52:02 PM12/30/07
Winky wrote:
> Fail to install, I have 45 updates that fail everytime I try to
> install them.

Mary wrote:

Mary,

Something to add or did you mistakenly reply and hit "Send" instead of
cancel when you decided to not type anything? ;-)

Shenan Stanley

Dec 30, 2007, 3:52:01 PM12/30/07
Winky wrote:
> Fail to install, I have 45 updates that fail everytime I try to
> install them.

Mary

Dec 31, 2007, 4:39:01 AM12/31/07
windowa xp will not update

Shenan Stanley

Dec 31, 2007, 10:54:17 AM12/31/07
Mary wrote:
> windows xp will not update

Updates are not installed successfully from Windows Update,
from Microsoft Update, or by using Automatic Updates after
you repair a Windows XP installation
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144

Can't figure that out?

Get Dial-a-Fix:
http://wiki.djlizard.net/Dial-a-fix

Use its options to fix:
- Windows Installer
- Windows Update
- All the Registration Center options.

Turn off the "Empty System32\Catroot 2"
Do NOT do "Flush SoftwareDistribution".

Then click "GO" and wait until it is done... Reboot will be needed.

- Download/Install Windows Update v3.

http://download.windowsupdate.com/WindowsUpdate/redist/standalone/7.0.6000.381/WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe
(You *may* need to install it using the command line switch "/wuforce"
right after the reboot - immediately after logging in.)

- Reboot.

- Visit http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/ and scan for/install updates.

- Come back and let us know how things went!

coolbrezze22HELPME

Dec 31, 2007, 7:24:00 PM12/31/07

Shenan Stanley

Dec 31, 2007, 7:36:43 PM12/31/07
Winky wrote:
> Fail to install, I have 45 updates that fail everytime I try to
> install them.

coolbrezze22HELPME wrote:

coolbrezze22HELPME,

You wrote nothing.
Is there something you need?
Have you reviewed the entire thread?
Did you think just repeating the question by responding to it and adding
nothing was the same as actually asking the question for yourself?

Thread in its entirety (including answers that have worked for several in
the thread):
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsupdate/browse_frm/thread/96b01ef72bffc66a/2dd29c2913559fa7?lnk=st&q=#2dd29c2913559fa7