KB936181 would not install

homeport

May 16, 2008, 6:50:00 PM5/16/08
I have a fairly new Dimension 3000. I received the KB936181 update to
download. Then the yellow shield appeared in the systray wanting to install
the same file. This continued for some time and would not stop. The file
never did download. I then went to the Microsoft website and manually
downloaded the file. Again this did not install. Finally, I turned off
Automatic Downloads. After a week, I turned the Automatic Downloads back on
to get the latest updates. All updated correctly until the KB936181 came up
again and continued to appear without installing.
Again, I had to turn off the Automatic Updates.

Any help would be appreciated as to how to get rid of this file once and for
all.

TaurArian

May 16, 2008, 7:56:02 PM5/16/08
Security Update for Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 Service Pack 2
(KB936181) may repeatedly appear in the update list on Microsoft
Update or on Windows Update:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/941729

Have you checked the Known Issues -
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936181

--

TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2008 - Update Services
http://taurarian.mvps.org

"homeport" <home...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

MowGreen [MVP]

May 16, 2008, 8:00:03 PM5/16/08
Check the 'Known issues with this security update' here ?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936181

or, here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/941729

Boot to Safe Mode and rename msxml4.dll, as laid out in the second KB.
"Whatever" is locking the file and preventing it's replacement should
not be running whilst in Safe Mode. [EX: AV, printer software]

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten

homeport

May 16, 2008, 9:43:03 PM5/16/08
Thanks. As I replied to TaurArian, I followed the directions and will watch
for the results over the next several days.

homeport

May 16, 2008, 10:12:00 PM5/16/08

I followed your directions and will watch to see the effect over the next
few days. If the file reappears, I will let you know.
Thanks for the help