"configuring updates 3 of 3. 0% complete" reboot loop in Vista - possible fix

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Feb 19, 2008, 12:45:53 PM2/19/08
The following is from MS PSS (paraphrased):

Issue:

After installing updates from Windows Update, you may get into a Reboot loop
where you machines gets to “configuring updates 3 of 3. 0% complete” then
reboots. The machine then continues to reboot.

Solution:

1a. Boot to the Windows DVD and choose the repair option in the lower left
hand corner, choose System Restore, and select a Restore Point predating the
attempted installation of the updates.

1b. If you don't have the DVD and the Vista came preinstalled on the
machine, boot to the Safe Mode options using F8 during startup (tutorial:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/tutorial61.html#vista).

Once in Safe Mode, invoke System Restore as follows:

Start | Run | (type in) rstrui.exe | [OK]

Select an available Restore Point predating the attempted installation of
the updates.

Recommendation:

To avoid running into the same problem again, install the following update
separately and ASAP:

A software update is available for the Windows Vista installation software
feature:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/937287

Download links for manual installation:

Vista x86 :
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=5639710d-dfbf-4527-806e-9a1634d0cc8e

Vista x64:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=54235949-b5db-4fe2-a841-ef938217b285
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net

Susan Bradley

Feb 19, 2008, 3:36:58 PM2/19/08
vmai3 wrote:
> I have Vista Ultimate in my Quadcore system and just just turned on the
> Windows Update last nite. After downloaded updates, it started
> installing/configuring...and it restarted itself to "Configuring Updates"
> screen.... got stuck there forever. I waited for like 4 hours ....
> Wonder if your fix is applicable for my issue but i have nothing to lose.
>
> Wish I had XP instead :(

Yes this is applicable to your situation.

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Feb 19, 2008, 3:52:01 PM2/19/08
Yes.

adminstrator_6666

Feb 19, 2008, 5:24:01 PM2/19/08

jfn

Feb 19, 2008, 9:48:00 PM2/19/08
I've got the OEM media but no restore points. Is there a solution with this?

Jimmy

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Feb 19, 2008, 10:02:19 PM2/19/08
<QP>
Customers who may be experiencing this issue can use system restore to
correct it or contact 1-866-PC-Safety for help troubleshooting. Additional
guidance will be available via Microsoft's free Update Support Center soon.
</QP>
Source:
http://windowsvistablog.com/blogs/windowsvista/archive/2008/02/19/update-on-windows-vista-sp1-prerequisite-kb937287.aspx
--
~PA Bear

jfn wrote:
> I've got the OEM media but no restore points. Is there a solution with
> this?
>
> Jimmy
>

> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
>> The following is from MS PSS (paraphrased):
>>
>> Issue:
>>
>> After installing updates from Windows Update, you may get into a Reboot

>> loop where you machines gets to “configuring updates 3 of 3. 0%
>> complete†then reboots. The machine then continues to reboot.

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Feb 19, 2008, 11:09:11 PM2/19/08
PS:

Microsoft Update Solution Center:
http://support.microsoft.com/ph/6527

PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
> <QP>
> Customers who may be experiencing this issue can use system restore to
> correct it or contact 1-866-PC-Safety for help troubleshooting.
> Additional
> guidance will be available via Microsoft's free Update Support Center
> soon.
> </QP>
> Source:
> http://windowsvistablog.com/blogs/windowsvista/archive/2008/02/19/update-on-windows-vista-sp1-prerequisite-kb937287.aspx

Fallstar

Apr 27, 2008, 12:46:01 PM4/27/08
I have been having a similar problem, with the only difference being my
system doesn't go into a reboot loop. I see the "configuring updates 1/2/3 of
3" during either shutdown or startup/welcome screen...it shows for about 15
seconds or so, then continues on with the task. According to the
instructions (below) I need to choose a restore point before the bad
update...unfortunately the bad update occurred around Apr. 8, and my restore
points don't go back that far. Any suggestions on what I should do? Thank
you for your help.
Fallstar

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Apr 27, 2008, 1:16:59 PM4/27/08
Try the various Resolution methods in...

The update is not installed successfully, you receive a message, and the
computer restarts when you try to install an update in Windows Vista:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949358

Also see the section "How to avoid this problem" in KB949358!

Or avail yourself of...

Unlimited installation and compatibility support for Vista SP1 is available
at no charge through 18 Mar-09
• US:
http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?ln=en-us&prid=11274&gprid=500921

• CA:
http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?ln=en-ca&prid=11274&gprid=500921

• UK:
http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?ln=en-gb&prid=11274&gprid=500921

• AU:
http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?ln=en-au&prid=11274&gprid=500921

• Other: http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx | select Windows
Vista | select Windows Vista Service Pack 1

--

Fallstar wrote:
> Hi,
> I have been having a similar problem, with the only difference being my
> system doesn't go into a reboot loop. I see the "configuring updates 1/2/3
> of 3" during either shutdown or startup/welcome screen...it shows for
> about
> 15 seconds or so, then continues on with the task. According to the
> instructions (below) I need to choose a restore point before the bad
> update...unfortunately the bad update occurred around Apr. 8, and my
> restore
> points don't go back that far. Any suggestions on what I should do?
> Thank
> you for your help.
> Fallstar
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
>> The following is from MS PSS (paraphrased):
>>
>> Issue:
>>
>> After installing updates from Windows Update, you may get into a Reboot

>> loop where you machines gets to “configuring updates 3 of 3. 0%
>> complete†then reboots. The machine then continues to reboot.

Fallstar

Apr 27, 2008, 2:12:00 PM4/27/08
Thank your for your quick reply. I will look into those options.

Duy

Jun 7, 2008, 8:54:51 PM6/7/08

I got the same problem. Just wonder how can I install the update
937287. Double click on it an what?

Thanks

--
Duy
Duy's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=51200

http://forums.techarena.in

Duy

Jun 8, 2008, 4:45:28 AM6/8/08

I did something as below:

First of all I install update 949939. After that install 937287. After
that I install all update from year 2007. I got error of this 929777. I
check from Microsoft website and understand this problem because I use
4GB RAM of my computer.

After that I install all update from 2008 : 947562, 943889 and 946041.
I got same error. I had to restart by Window Vista DVD and restore my
computer.

What should I do with update 929777 and the rest?

Duy

Jun 8, 2008, 6:09:39 AM6/8/08

I am using Office 2007 now but I do not understand why there is a update
for Excel 2003 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943889/)

I install that with 946041 and my computer keep restarting. I do not
want to try anymore because it takes time to do it. So could you please
let me know what should I do to solve this problem?

TaurArian

Jun 8, 2008, 6:27:52 AM6/8/08
The update is not installed successfully, you receive a message, and the computer restarts
when you try to install an update in Windows Vista
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949358

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929777
Error message when you try to install Windows Vista on a computer that uses more than 3 GB
of RAM: "STOP 0x0000000A"

Things to know before you download Windows Vista SP1
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windowsvista/bb968859.aspx--

TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2008 - Update Services
http://taurarian.mvps.org
======================================

Duy

Jun 8, 2008, 7:56:03 AM6/8/08

TaurArian;3789759 Wrote:
> The update is not installed successfully, you receive a message, and the
> computer restarts
> when you try to install an update in Windows Vista
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949358
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929777
> Error message when you try to install Windows Vista on a computer that
> uses more than 3 GB
> of RAM: "STOP 0x0000000A"
>
> Things to know before you download Windows Vista SP1
> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windowsvista/bb968859.aspx--
>
> TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2008 - Update Services
> http://taurarian.mvps.org

Thanks for replying.

I read from your website too but I cannot find the way to fix this
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929777

I tried those update but my computer keeps restarting

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Jun 8, 2008, 11:17:45 AM6/8/08

TaurArian

Jun 8, 2008, 8:43:48 PM6/8/08
Thanks.
Kaylene

--

TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2008 - Update Services
http://taurarian.mvps.org
======================================

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABe...@gmail.com> wrote in message

A@discussions.microsoft.com Kati A

Sep 30, 2008, 1:56:00 PM9/30/08
Did all this and still the endless loop. Tried 2 different restore
points...what the H??

PA Bear [MS MVP]

yohansk

Jan 24, 2009, 11:19:01 PM1/24/09
I am getting a similar reboot loop, with a slight difference. I get the
message "“configuring updates 3 of 3. 0% complete” whcih progresses to
“configuring updates 3 of 3 - 94% complete” then either just hangs, or
reboots. This has been going on for two days, and I have tried all of what
you and others have suggested I do to rectify the probelm. One significant
problem I have is that I am traveling and do not have the Vista DVD with me.
I have used the F8 key to attempt to enter safe mode, safe mode with
networking, safe mode with command prompt, and all of the other options at
the F8 screen, but in each case always get the screen "“configuring updates 3
of 3 - 94% complete” then the system reboots.

Any way to modify the registry entries without actually getting Vista to
start (nromally or in safe mode)?

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Jan 25, 2009, 12:44:33 PM1/25/09
You're replying to a very old thread. See...

The update is not installed successfully, you receive a message, and the
computer restarts when you try to install an update in Windows Vista:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949358

Skip directly to the section "How to avoid this problem" at the bottom of
the page.

Unlimited installation and compatibility support for Vista SP1 is available

at no charge *but only through 18 March 2009*!!

• US:
http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?ln=en-us&prid=11274&gprid=500921

• CA:
http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?ln=en-ca&prid=11274&gprid=500921

• UK:
http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?ln=en-gb&prid=11274&gprid=500921

• AU:
http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?ln=en-au&prid=11274&gprid=500921

• Other: http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx | select Windows
Vista | select Windows Vista Service Pack 1

TIP: Do not attempt to install Vista SP1 manually until and unless it's
offered by Windows Update!

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Rinnie

Aug 6, 2009, 12:05:01 PM8/6/09
This did happen to my system i am running Vista Home Premium with SP1 on a 64
bit operating system. I tried to install this as directed

Vista x64:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=54235949-b5db-4fe2-a841-ef938217b285

and received the following message "this update does not apply to your
system". I currently have changed my system not to automatically do any
updates from microsoft until i know that this won't happen again. I do have
an update waiting to be installed Vista sp2...any thoughts on what i should
do?

SV650

Aug 27, 2009, 5:38:01 AM8/27/09

Is Everyone here using F-secure? I have heard a rumour that this is the
problem.

not-a-tech

Sep 1, 2009, 3:02:26 AM9/1/09

to pa bear

tied to do safe mode

scrolls down to windows drivers crcdisk

then the screen goes blank

a few minutes later it goes back to 3 of 3 loop error message

cant get to start button to get to restore function, can i do this from
command prompt?

thanks

sign me
frustrated in dell world

--
not-a-tech
not-a-tech's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/130840.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

jmj

Oct 8, 2009, 5:01:02 PM10/8/09
I'm in the same situation as Ronnie.

jmj

Oct 8, 2009, 5:27:01 PM10/8/09
I'm in the same boat as Rinnie. Any suggestions?

MICROJUNK

Dec 17, 2009, 6:16:14 PM12/17/09
Microsoft you should be ashamed to call yourselves professionals!!! This is a
known issue and has been ongoing for a year ,or more! VERY SAD! I'm tired
of getting pc after PC brought to me with the same issues that your company
fails to resolve. My next machine, and my companies next machine , will be a
MAC! Instead of throwing money at advertising to compete against the MAC,
put your money into employees who know how to make the software and the
updates work properly. I for one, am tired of having to buy new operating
systems everytime your faulty patched together crap fails on every other
update! THANKS FOR THE CONTINUOS GARBAGE!!!

Michael

Dec 17, 2009, 6:51:45 PM12/17/09
Don't let the door smack you on the ass on the way out!.

--

"Don't pick a fight with an old man.

"MICROJUNK" <MICR...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Dec 17, 2009, 11:48:26 PM12/17/09
No one here works for or represents Microsoft (including MVPs).

stubz

Dec 19, 2009, 7:10:19 AM12/19/09

Hi guys,

first off I have no Vista CD, I have tried all the methods in this
thread, booting into safe mode does not work, it goes into the loop.

I have also tried to get into recovery but when it askes for the
administror pass word it says "administrator disabled"

I'm kinda at a loss as to what to do next?

Any help would be greatly apprciated.

--
stubz

J&M

Dec 28, 2009, 8:53:01 AM12/28/09
This IS an old issue, but CLEARLY no one has found a satisfactory fix. I
installed the latest automatic update in Dec. 2009 and have encountered it. I
am looking at losing EVERYTHING because of a trusted update. What is the
tried and true action that will fix this? I see a variety of updates but no
one has said it fixed their system and they were able to fix it once and for
all. IS there a correct fix?

"stubz" wrote:

> .

Michael

Dec 28, 2009, 10:59:54 AM12/28/09
Instead of tacking yourself on to an existing thread, try starting a new one
with OS, service pack and error code/codes you are receiving. You may think
you're having the same problem, but different OS's may have different fixes.

Have you read the complete thread and tried any of the previous fixes listed
in TaurArian's reply?

It's a well known fact that most people who are helped here don't respond
back with a "thank you" or "it worked."

Try dropping the attitude. No one here works for Microsoft. The MVP's are
volunteers as are all the others who try to help.

--

"J&M" <J&M...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message