newsgroup reader strange behavior

Dr. Dos

Sep 5, 2008, 2:44:57 PM9/5/08
Every time I look at any Windows NG, my browser asks if I
want to subscribe to it. Obviously, I have already
subscribed to it because it is in my newsgroup list already.
Has microsoft change news group sign-up/subscriptions?
Newsgroup server is msnews.microsoft.com. Newsgroup reader
is Seamonkey 1.11.1.

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Sep 5, 2008, 3:48:39 PM9/5/08
And your Windows Update question is...?

Dr. Dos

Sep 5, 2008, 4:47:09 PM9/5/08

Sorry if I wan jot clear.
Has microsoft changed news group sign-up/subscriptions
protocols? How do I get to stop the same repeated request to
subscribe each and every time I look at (the same)
newsgroups?. This is a new phenomenon for me.

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Sep 5, 2008, 5:41:44 PM9/5/08

Access to the MS newsserver does not require a subscription or a password so
the repeated prompts to subscribe are coming from Seamonkey, not the
newsserver. Consult Seamonkey support about the issue.

PS: Disable Avast's scanning of incoming/outgoing messages. It provides no
additional protection, it may be causing the problem, and even Symantec says
it's not necessary:

<QP>
Disabling Email Scanning does not leave you unprotected against viruses that
are distributed as email attachments. Norton AntiVirus Auto-Protect scans
incoming files as they are saved to your hard drive, including email and
email attachments. Email Scanning is just another layer on top of this. To
make sure that Auto-Protect is providing the maximum protection, keep
Auto-Protect enabled and run LiveUpdate regularly to ensure that you have
the most recent virus definitions.
</QP>
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/docid/2002111812533106
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net

Dr. DOS

Sep 6, 2008, 3:39:47 PM9/6/08
PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:

> Access to the MS newsserver does not require a subscription or a
> password so
> the repeated prompts to subscribe are coming from Seamonkey, not the
> newsserver. Consult Seamonkey support about the issue.
>
> PS: Disable Avast's scanning of incoming/outgoing messages. It provides
> no additional protection, it may be causing the problem, and even
> Symantec says it's not necessary:

It was Seamonkey. I was advised to remove/delete the msnews
server and all references within the seamonkey "prefs.js"
file, and start all over. Did that and this ng works as
expected. Avast e-mail checking was not at fault, but I have
disabled it.
Thanks for the help.