SP3 setup error

Bill

May 9, 2008, 12:23:39 PM5/9/08
During installation of the SP3 update (manual update) I see the following
error:

"An Error occurred while copying file beethov9.wma.
Cannot copy file to destination directory.
Click Retry to retry operation Click cancel to..."

I tried ignoring the error, but it comes up again during the install, and
finally causes the installation to fail completely. I could see the file in
the source directory; but I have no idea why it fails to copy to the
destination. The destination path was not given, and there was no other
info.

PC is a dell XPS Generation 2, XP home sp2, with 2gbram, 30 gb free disk
space. The account I was using has admin priveledges.

Thanks for any help.
Bill

Oh, the SP3 update installed fine on my Dell Optiplex running XP pro.

Email address is a spam trap

Bill

May 9, 2008, 3:01:42 PM5/9/08
Problem is resolved. From a couple hits I got googling, I got some leads.
In case it helps someone else:

It seems to have been to a file permissions problem. I found could not
access some of the folders in the documents and settings\all users path.
Specifically there was a folder called "documents", where access was being
denied from all my accounts. Looking under the security tab, no accounts
had permission to access this folder at all; so I set up permissions under
the security tab. When I clicked "apply" - this "documents" folder simply
vanished -- poof! gone from the directory list... SP3 installed fine
afterwards. I should have done error checking on the drive, but didn't.

Bill

MowGreen [MVP]

May 9, 2008, 3:32:42 PM5/9/08
Open the svcpack.log by going to Start > Run > copy&paste the below into
the Open: line and then click OK or press Enter

%windir%\svcpack.log

Click Edit, Find
In the Find what: field type in beethov9.wma
Click the Find Next button
Copy and paste the entry for beethov9.wma into your reply, please.
ALSO, include *any other entry with beethov9.wma* by clicking the Find
Next button.

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

MowGreen [MVP]

May 9, 2008, 3:49:45 PM5/9/08
Thanks for posting the resolution, Bill.

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

Bill

May 9, 2008, 5:19:04 PM5/9/08
MowGreen,

Apologies. I must have accidentally created a new thread when I answered my
own question because my reply doesn't appear in this thread.

There was a problem with the file permissions with some folders in the
\\documements and settings\all users\ path not being set to allow access.
When I added permissions to modify these folders -- SP3 installed without a
hiccup.
Bill

Barry@discussions.microsoft.com George Barry

May 15, 2008, 9:29:00 AM5/15/08
I am still not able to install SP3. I found the same folder you mention and
got rid of it. But the failure is the same. I'm running as Admin with a new
Dell computer.
At one point, my machine was totally messed up. I was lucky I could restore
to a previous point. After numerous attempts, I give up. Does anyone know
if Microsoft is going to provide a new SP that works?

George
----------

Hope User@discussions.microsoft.com New Hope User

May 20, 2008, 12:52:05 AM5/20/08
I am also having this problem. I set the sharing on C:/Documents and
Settings/All Users/Documents to "share this folder on the network", then
retried the copy of beethov9.wma from the Software Update Installation Wizard
- and the /Documents folder is now gone.

I brought up the svcpack.log and the log tells me this:

1556.508: VerifySize: Unable to obtain Target file size: C:\Documents and
Settings\All Users\Documents\My Music\Sample Music\Beethoven's Symphony No. 9
(Scherzo).wma
1556.588: UpdSpDecompressOrCopyFile error: C:\Documents and Settings\All
Users\Documents\My Music\Sample Music\Beethoven's Symphony No. 9
(Scherzo).wma, Error = 00000005

and then a few lines down:

1561.595: UpdSpDecompressOrCopyFile retries failed: C:\Documents and
Settings\All Users\Documents\My Music\Sample Music\Beethoven's Symphony No. 9
(Scherzo).wma
1561.595: UpdSpDecompressOrCopyFile error: encountered an error:, Error =
0000007b

Please resolve (I can't believe this problem has not been resolved)... Try
googling beethov9.wma

MowGreen [MVP]

May 21, 2008, 3:06:23 PM5/21/08
Boot to Safe Mode and log in with the Administrator account.
You need to edit the Permissions on
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents <---- this subfolder
[ The Security tab is available when logged in as Admin in SM ]

The Administrator account should have all Permissions checked except for
Special Perms.
System should have the same settings as the Admin account.
Everyone and Power Users have the same settings *EXCEPT* for Full Control.
The above settings are when Simple file sharing is Enabled.

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

wtdoor

May 23, 2008, 1:51:36 PM5/23/08

Microsoft Windows Service Pack 3 problem

Basically the SP3 installer can’t write Beethov9.wma because it cannnot
find the path: C:\Documents and Settings\All users\Documents\My
Music\Sample Music

The solution involves logging in as Administrator and take control i.e.
ownership of the \Documents folder and altering folders inside to create
the needed path. Instructions for gaining control are here:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308421&sd=tech

--
wtdoor
wtdoor's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=50023

http://forums.techarena.in

MowGreen [MVP]

May 23, 2008, 6:29:18 PM5/23/08
That's the same info already posted.
Did you read the previous post or are you a bot just scrounging up hits
for a gold star or gift from the teacher ?

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

New Hope User

May 24, 2008, 12:09:00 AM5/24/08
Mow: I did try the SM bit from the Admin account. SM just freezes when
trying to do file functions. And actually, there is no C:/Documents and
Settings/All Users/Documents/ folder to change the security settings on if I
could have.

It is my understanding from reading my log that SP3 was trying to create a
C:/Documents and Settings/All Users/Documents/My Music/Sample Music/ folder
with beethov9.wma in it, but can't do it? Since no such folder exists, then
it is SP3 that was responsible for creating it.

There is however, existant a C:/Documents and Settings/All Users/Shared
Documents/My Music/Sample Music/ folder. Maybe SP3 should be checking for
that folder instead..

This is all getting kind of silly. Now I am reading what a mess this
release has been. I deleted the download file from my HD and I will wait
until it is released in June to the general public (autoupdate users). All
of this is supposed to be automatic...

MowGreen [MVP]

May 26, 2008, 12:31:12 PM5/26/08
>> Mow: I did try the SM bit from the Admin account. SM just freezes when
>> trying to do file functions. And actually, there is no C:/Documents and
>> Settings/All Users/Documents/ folder to change the security settings on if I
>> could have.

Are you positive there is no All Users\Documents folder ?
If not, please list the subfolders under Documents and Settings\All Users.

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

Harry Johnston [MVP]

May 26, 2008, 6:16:25 PM5/26/08
MowGreen [MVP] wrote:

> Are you positive there is no All Users\Documents folder ?

The Windows Explorer GUI shows the Documents folder in All Users as "Shared
Documents". This may be the cause of the confusion.

Harry.

New Hope User

May 26, 2008, 11:53:02 PM5/26/08
/All Users/Application Data, /Desktop, /DRM, /Favorites, /Shared Documents,
/Start Menu, /Templates. BUT, there was an /All Users/Documents folder in
the middle of the SP3 update where the trouble with beethov9.wma occurs - so
I still maintain that the SP3 update itself creates the /Documents folder so
I don't see why we have to go in and modify anything regarding security.

Harry Johnston [MVP]

May 27, 2008, 12:01:11 AM5/27/08
New Hope User wrote:

> /All Users/Application Data, /Desktop, /DRM, /Favorites, /Shared Documents,
> /Start Menu, /Templates. BUT, there was an /All Users/Documents folder in
> the middle of the SP3 update where the trouble with beethov9.wma occurs - so
> I still maintain that the SP3 update itself creates the /Documents folder so
> I don't see why we have to go in and modify anything regarding security.

No, the Documents folder already exists, except that Explorer calls it "Shared
Documents". The real name of the folder is just Documents so that is what other
programs, such as SP3, will call it.

If you turn the Address Bar on, and open the Shared Documents folder, you'll see
that the path is shown as C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents.

Harry.

coud...@gmail.com

Jun 4, 2008, 7:59:52 AM6/4/08

New Hope User

Jul 29, 2008, 12:26:00 AM7/29/08
I waited until July, 2008 to finally attempt reinstallation of SP3 thinking
that Microsoft might have actually fixed the problem in the general release,
but NO! I thought I would post the solution IN ENGLISH for those poor saps
like me getting the runaround...

When the "beethov9.wma error" comes up (about 1 1/4 hrs. into the update),
open Windows Explorer and go to C:\Documents and Settings\All
Users\Documents, then right-click on Documents and bring up Properties, then
the Sharing tab. Check the box "Allow Network Users to Change My Files".
You don't have to be logged in as admin. Retry the copy. That's it - I
don't know why one of you techie experts couldn't have said it so simply.

Harry Johnston [MVP]

Jul 29, 2008, 12:43:11 AM7/29/08
New Hope User wrote:

> When the "beethov9.wma error" comes up (about 1 1/4 hrs. into the update),
> open Windows Explorer and go to C:\Documents and Settings\All
> Users\Documents, then right-click on Documents and bring up Properties, then
> the Sharing tab. Check the box "Allow Network Users to Change My Files".
> You don't have to be logged in as admin. Retry the copy.

Thanks; that's certainly an easier fix than the previously known one.

Of course, we still don't know what actually causes the permissions problem in
the first place ...

Harry.

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Jul 29, 2008, 3:41:43 AM7/29/08
So you told us in your reply to this thread 2 months ago:
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsupdate/msg/14cffc1e6761f8aa

chinook

Sep 3, 2008, 8:38:23 AM9/3/08

I have also had a problem with installing SP3 but in my case it appears
to be a problem with the Beethoven file rather than permissions. In the
SP3 Log, I have the following:

1875.953: Copied file: C:\Documents and Settings\All

Users\Documents\My Music\Sample Music\Beethoven's Symphony No. 9
(Scherzo).wma

2345.875: Copied file: C:\Documents and Settings\All

Users\Documents\My Music\Sample Music\Beethoven's Symphony No. 9
(Scherzo).wma

2352.140: Target File Size Mismatch: C:\Documents and Settings\All

Users\Documents\My Music\Sample Music\Beethoven's Symphony No. 9

(Scherzo).wma, ExpectedSize = 00095d06, ActualSize = 0009616f
2352.140: UpdSpDecompressOrCopyFile error: C:\Documents and

Settings\All Users\Documents\My Music\Sample Music\Beethoven's Symphony
No. 9 (Scherzo).wma, Error = 00000005

2353.140: UpdSpDecompressOrCopyFile error: C:\Documents and

Settings\All Users\Documents\My Music\Sample Music\Beethoven's Symphony
No. 9 (Scherzo).wma, Error = 00000005

2354.140: UpdSpDecompressOrCopyFile error: C:\Documents and

Settings\All Users\Documents\My Music\Sample Music\Beethoven's Symphony
No. 9 (Scherzo).wma, Error = 00000005

2355.140: UpdSpDecompressOrCopyFile error: C:\Documents and

Settings\All Users\Documents\My Music\Sample Music\Beethoven's Symphony
No. 9 (Scherzo).wma, Error = 00000005

2356.140: UpdSpDecompressOrCopyFile error: C:\Documents and

Settings\All Users\Documents\My Music\Sample Music\Beethoven's Symphony
No. 9 (Scherzo).wma, Error = 00000005

2357.140: UpdSpDecompressOrCopyFile retries failed: C:\Documents and

Settings\All Users\Documents\My Music\Sample Music\Beethoven's Symphony
No. 9 (Scherzo).wma

2357.140: UpdSpDecompressOrCopyFile error: encountered an error:,
Error = 0000007b
2358.140: UpdSpDecompressOrCopyFile error: encountered an error:,
Error = 0000007b
2359.140: UpdSpDecompressOrCopyFile error: encountered an error:,
Error = 0000007b
2360.140: UpdSpDecompressOrCopyFile error: encountered an error:,
Error = 0000007b
2361.140: UpdSpDecompressOrCopyFile error: encountered an error:,
Error = 0000007b
2362.140: UpdSpDecompressOrCopyFile retries failed: encountered an
error:

Grateful for any suggestions as to action to take before I try again to
install SP3.

--
chinook
chinook's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/chinook.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

Harry Johnston [MVP]

Sep 3, 2008, 3:02:29 PM9/3/08
chinook wrote:

> I have also had a problem with installing SP3 but in my case it appears
> to be a problem with the Beethoven file rather than permissions.

Looks like a permissions problem on the Beethoven file, this has been seen
before although the underlying cause is unknown.

The fix reported by NewHopeUser:

When the "beethov9.wma error" comes up (about 1 1/4 hrs. into the update),
open Windows Explorer and go to C:\Documents and Settings\All
Users\Documents, then right-click on Documents and bring up Properties, then
the Sharing tab. Check the box "Allow Network Users to Change My Files".
You don't have to be logged in as admin. Retry the copy.

Harry.

chinook

Sep 6, 2008, 3:05:50 AM9/6/08

Harry, you were exactly right, thank you. I followed the fix you quoted
from NewHopeUser and then re-ran SP3 with no problems. Thanks to
HewHopeUser and yourself for such good advice.

Chinook

Tom@discussions.microsoft.com Professor Tom

Feb 21, 2009, 2:01:01 PM2/21/09

Professor Tom

Feb 21, 2009, 2:09:01 PM2/21/09
Here is the reply. I had the same symptom with copying the beethoven wma
file. I treid to access the documents folder under D&S\all users and received
access denied. I RC'd on the folder and selected "share with network users
and local" and then apply. The documents folder changed to the name "shared
documents" and I was able to open the folder. I went back to the waiting and
stalled sp3 installation and clicked on Retry. Viola! It continued on and
finshed the service pack installation.

Tom