Installation Failure Error Code 0x80070005

Suvi

Sep 8, 2009, 6:27:20 PM9/8/09
I am using XP Pro SP3 fully patched until this last batch of updates when KB
960859, 973507, 973815 would not install. I followed TaurArian's suggestion
to go to Aaron Stebner's blog for instructions on using the SubInACL tool. My
problem now is: " In the command prompt, type notepad reset.cmd and click yes
to open Notepad.exe, etc." There is no "yes" in my command prompt. The
"reset.cmd" file is on my desktop. If I click "enter" in the command prompt,
Notepad opens and says it cannot find reset.cmd. What am I missing/doing
wrong?

Harry Johnston [MVP]

Sep 8, 2009, 9:26:49 PM9/8/09
Suvi wrote:

Notepad should say: "Cannot find the reset.cmd file. Do you want to create a
new file?" to which you should answer Yes.

Harry.

Suvi

Sep 9, 2009, 1:44:01 PM9/9/09

"Harry Johnston [MVP]" wrote:

> Thanks, Harry
I ran SubInACL, attempted to install one update which failed, and have
several more patches sitting in the update icon. Can you direct me to another
forum that may be able to assist me?

Suvi

Sep 9, 2009, 1:53:04 PM9/9/09

Harry Johnston [MVP]

Sep 9, 2009, 8:23:37 PM9/9/09
Suvi,

I suggest you contact Microsoft support directly. Support for problems with
Windows Update is free of charge.

<http://support.microsoft.com/select/Default.aspx?target=assistance>