Can't download one update...

Noozer

Jul 27, 2007, 2:53:05 PM7/27/07
I am offered the following optional hardware update from the Microsoft
Update website: "Microsoft HID Non-User Input Data Filter".

I select the update to install, but it fails. I'm not given any error
message, except that I should check my installation history. The history
doesn't tell me anything about why it failed.

Now when I select it, I am told that it's already downloaded and ready to
install.

Why won't it complete? How can I delete the downloaded version and
redownload this update?

MowGreen [MVP]

Jul 28, 2007, 3:33:40 PM7/28/07
The screen saver does not work when you use a Microsoft wireless
pointing device on a Windows Vista-based computer
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/911895

If the above issue is not occurring then suggest you hide the update the
next time it's offered. UNcheck the box next to it, click OK.
Put a check in the box next to " Do not show me these updates again "
Click OK

If the above issue IS occurring then go here:
[ This URL *may* work, too:
http://test.catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/Home.aspx ]

Enter this in the Search field - Microsoft HID Non-User Input Data Filter
Click Search
There were 2 driver packages available when I checked it and,
unfortunately, there is little information for Vista other then it being
listed as for 'Windows Vista,Windows XP'
That's the second package listed and it *appears* as though it's for
Vista 32 bit
Download that driver package and save it
When the download completes *right click it* and choose 'Run as
administrator'
Hopefully, that will get it installed

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2007]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

Noozer

Jul 28, 2007, 5:35:32 PM7/28/07

"MowGreen [MVP]" <mowg...@nowandzen.com> wrote in message

> The screen saver does not work when you use a Microsoft wireless pointing
> device on a Windows Vista-based computer
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/911895
>
> If the above issue is not occurring then suggest you hide the update the
> next time it's offered. UNcheck the box next to it, click OK.
> Put a check in the box next to " Do not show me these updates again "
> Click OK
>
> If the above issue IS occurring then go here:
> http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=66111
> [ This URL *may* work, too:
> http://test.catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/Home.aspx ]

Thanks for the links.

That has to be the STUPIDEST distribution system I've ever seen. It doesn't
follow ANY security rules. Required popups, ActiveX controls, etc. It
doesn't even let me do a download. The page has to stuff it someone on my
hard drive instead.

Noozer

Jul 28, 2007, 5:39:19 PM7/28/07
> If the above issue IS occurring then go here:
> http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=66111
> [ This URL *may* work, too:
> http://test.catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/Home.aspx ]
>
> Enter this in the Search field - Microsoft HID Non-User Input Data Filter
> Click Search
> There were 2 driver packages available when I checked it and,
> unfortunately, there is little information for Vista other then it being
> listed as for 'Windows Vista,Windows XP'
> That's the second package listed and it *appears* as though it's for Vista
> 32 bit
> Download that driver package and save it
> When the download completes *right click it* and choose 'Run as
> administrator'
> Hopefully, that will get it installed

It ends up being a CAB file. No installer provided at all, nor any
installation instructions. Definately not anything I could make use of.

Noozer

Jul 28, 2007, 11:18:23 PM7/28/07

"Noozer" <dont...@me.here> wrote in message

I just found the WindowsUpdate.log file and found the following after doing
a Microsoft Update:

Handler :: START :: Handler: Driver Install
Handler :::::::::
Handler : Updates to install = 1
Handler Device id = HID\Vid_045e&Pid_00e1&Rev_0007&Col01
Handler
DriverPingback=1|1|HID\Vid_045e&Pid_00e1&Rev_0007&Col01|2001-07-01|5.1.2600.2180|0x1003|0|0|Microsoft|Microsoft|HID-compliant
consumer control device|hid_device_up:000c_u:0001
Handler WARNING: Driver install of {C32984CF-351C-46FF-887A-4ACDFCEC837B} on
HID\VID_045E&PID_00E1&COL01 failed with error 80070643; mapping to error
8024200B
Handler : WARNING: Exit code = 0x8024200B
Handler :::::::::
Handler :: END :: Handler: Driver Install

MowGreen [MVP]

Jul 30, 2007, 2:54:23 PM7/30/07
The MU Product Team asks for feedback on the Microsoft Update Catalog,
Noozer. Why not give it directly to them ? :
> Welcome to the Microsoft Update Catalog Beta site! We want your feedback!

http://blogs.technet.com/mu/contact.aspx

AFAIK, the beta for the MU Catalog is over. I haven't done any
downloading for Vista so I can't say just what form nor how to install
what's offered there.

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2007]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

MowGreen [MVP]

Jul 30, 2007, 3:00:59 PM7/30/07
Please check the WindowsUpdate.log located in %userprofile%
Just enter that in the Search line and then drill down to the log.
Perhaps there will be more information available there ?

The ONLY explanation that MS offers up for 80070643 and Vista is for
updating Office
0x8024200B = The installer failed to install (uninstall) one or more updates

Not very helpful, to put it mildly.

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2007]
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten