KB 955302 error code 8007371C failure in VISTA SP1 32 BITS

matthew steward

Sep 14, 2008, 4:07:37 PM9/14/08
ACER DESKTOP 1GB RAM, 320 GB HD, 1.6 GHZ.
Comodo 3 FW (v.378)
AVAST HOME EDITION v. 4.8.1229
SpySweeper v. 5.8 (build 55)
ST, SAS, A2antimalware on demand scanners
SpywareBlaster 4.1
IE 8 b2
I'd like a fix for this issue as I tried even removing my Comodo3 FW and
with resident protection AV OFF and downloading the setup from microsoft web
sites but it just won't install and constantly asks to install itself.
Contacted the microsoft support without success.

---
Antivirus avast! : message Sortant sain.
Base de donnees virale (VPS) : 080914-0, 2008-09-14
Analyse le : 2008-09-14 16:07:39

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Sep 14, 2008, 4:47:43 PM9/14/08
Uninstall IE8 Beta 2 then try again.

matthew steward

Sep 14, 2008, 7:42:58 PM9/14/08
You just can't uninstall IE8 b2 update. Impossible to go back to IE7!!! Not
to my knowledge. They warned me before installing it 4-5 weeks ago!

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABe...@gmail.com> a écrit dans le message de

> ---
> Antivirus avast! : message Entrant sain.

> Base de donnees virale (VPS) : 080914-0, 2008-09-14

> Analyse le : 2008-09-14 19:40:59

---

Antivirus avast! : message Sortant sain.
Base de donnees virale (VPS) : 080914-0, 2008-09-14

Analyse le : 2008-09-14 19:43:01

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Sep 14, 2008, 8:06:05 PM9/14/08
1. If you installed IE8 Beta 1, then installed Vista SP1, and then installed
IE8 Beta 2, you're right: You won't be able to uninstall IE8 Beta 2 or IE8
Beta 1 without first uninstalling Vista SP1.

2. If, however, you installed Vista SP1 without having installed IE8 Beta 1,
you will be able to uninstall IE8 Beta 2.

If #1 is the case, the only good news is that you'll be able to install IE8
Final Release.

Back to your problem, please answer the following by number, not inline...

1. Does disabling (or even uninstalling) Comodo Firewall AND THEN enabling
the Windows Firewall allow KB955302 to install?

2. Are you getting an error similar to "configuring updates stage 3 of 3. 0%
complete"? (cf. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949358)

3. Did you install Vista SP1 via Windows Update or manually?

>>> Comodo 3 FW (v.378)
>>> AVAST HOME EDITION v. 4.8.1229
>>> SpySweeper v. 5.8 (build 55)
>>> ST, SAS, A2antimalware on demand scanners
>>> SpywareBlaster 4.1

4. Were all of the above fully disabled (including "real-time protection"
components/services of all anti-spyware applications) and was the Windows
Firewall enabled when you installed WinXP SP3 and/or any IE8 Beta build?

>>> Contacted the microsoft support without success.

5. Explain.

Unlimited installation and compatibility support for Vista SP1 is available
at no charge through 18 Mar-09. Go to
http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx | select Windows Vista |
select Windows Vista Service Pack 1
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net

matthew steward wrote:
> You just can't uninstall IE8 b2 update. Impossible to go back to IE7!!!
> Not
> to my knowledge. They warned me before installing it 4-5 weeks ago!

matthew steward

Sep 14, 2008, 9:07:28 PM9/14/08
2. If, however, you installed Vista SP1 without having installed IE8 Beta 1,
you will be able to uninstall IE8 Beta 2.
Well, I have an error message telling me the uninstallation aborted

1. Does disabling (or even uninstalling) Comodo Firewall AND THEN enabling
> the Windows Firewall allow KB955302 to install?

No

2. Are you getting an error similar to "configuring updates stage 3 of 3. 0%
> complete"? (cf. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949358)

No

3. Did you install Vista SP1 via Windows Update or manually?

Via Automatic Updates (Windows Update, had no problem with it)

> 4. Were all of the above fully disabled (including "real-time protection"
> components/services of all anti-spyware applications) and was the Windows
> Firewall enabled when you installed WinXP SP3 and/or any IE8 Beta build?

I'm on Vista Sp!, I upgraded from Vista Home Premium. I only have AVAST and
SpySweeper on RP and they were all turned off. Now ST and A-2antimalware are
manager. I can only say their RP is turned OFF as I run them as on-demand
scanners. Spywareblaster wasn't disabled but I don,t think it's the problem.

I'd say it's IE9 b2 and would like to know how to get back to IE7. I tried
uninstalling this update in Safe Mode with the same bad result.

> 5. Explain.
>
> Unlimited installation and compatibility support for Vista SP1 is
> available at no charge through 18 Mar-09. Go to
> http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx | select Windows Vista |
> select Windows Vista Service Pack 1

Yes, Support there is slow and non-efficient. I emailed the guy and wait for
an answer but I am hoping faster solutions in this newsgroup

> ---
> Antivirus avast! : message Entrant sain.
> Base de donnees virale (VPS) : 080914-0, 2008-09-14

> Analyse le : 2008-09-14 20:54:13

---
Antivirus avast! : message Sortant sain.
Base de donnees virale (VPS) : 080914-0, 2008-09-14

Analyse le : 2008-09-14 21:07:30

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Sep 15, 2008, 1:33:47 PM9/15/08
[Such inline, cut/paste replies are not helpful.]

If you, in fact, installed IE8 Beta 1 or Beta 2 *before* you installed Vista
SP1, you'll have to uninstall Vista SP1 before you'll be able to uninstall
IE8 Beta 2.

matthew steward

Sep 15, 2008, 5:21:26 PM9/15/08
PA Bear,
I installed IE8 b2 from IE7 on Vista SP1 and I tried to uninstall the
update but it doesn't work. The uninstall can't complete.

> Base de donnees virale (VPS) : 080915-0, 2008-09-15
> Analyse le : 2008-09-15 17:18:41

---
Antivirus avast! : message Sortant sain.

Base de donnees virale (VPS) : 080915-0, 2008-09-15
Analyse le : 2008-09-15 17:21:29

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Sep 15, 2008, 5:47:57 PM9/15/08
Assuming that means you installed IE8 Beta 2 AFTER you'd installed Vista
SP1:

=> Post the verbatim error message you get when trying to uninstall IE8 Beta
2.

=> See both parts of the section "How to uninstall Internet Explorer 8 Beta
2" here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949787

=> Do you use a "Registry cleaner"? Have you used one since you installed
IE8 Beta 2? If so, you're out of luck.

=> Post about this issue in the IE Beta newsgroup:

NB: The only IE8 Beta support for non-US/CA residents is in that newsgroup.
You may end up having to reinstall Vista; such are the risks of installing
beta software.

The only possibly good news in all of this is that you should be able to
install the final release of IE8.
--
~PA Bear

matthew steward wrote:
> I installed IE8 b2 from IE7 on Vista SP1 and I tried to uninstall the
> update but it doesn't work. The uninstall can't complete.

matthew steward

Sep 15, 2008, 6:48:27 PM9/15/08
I get: "AN ERROR HAS HAPPENED. SOME UPDATES WEREN'T UNINSTALLED CORRECTLY"
whenever I try to uninstall IE 8 b2
I installed IE8 b2 after installing Vista SP1 (from Vista Home Premium) but
from IE 7;
I use a lot of registry cleaners:
I used Comodo beta registry cleaner
I'm using MV Reg Clean 5.5
I use CCleaner
I use Advanced Windows Personal Care
I use Glary
I use Auslogic Registry Defragmentor;
I'm going to post. I'm a CA resident

> ---
> Antivirus avast! : message Entrant sain.
> Base de donnees virale (VPS) : 080915-0, 2008-09-15
> Analyse le : 2008-09-15 18:29:24

---
Antivirus avast! : message Sortant sain.
Base de donnees virale (VPS) : 080915-0, 2008-09-15

Analyse le : 2008-09-15 18:54:47

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Sep 16, 2008, 10:55:16 AM9/16/08
[X-post to IE Beta newsgroup]

> I use a lot of registry cleaners:
> I used Comodo beta registry cleaner
> I'm using MV Reg Clean 5.5
> I use CCleaner

> I use Advanced Windows Personal Care [OneCare?]

> I use Glary
> I use Auslogic Registry Defragmentor;

Think your Registry needs "cleaning" or "repairing"? Read
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=28099 and draw your own conclusions.

Any one of the above deleted the IE8 Beta 2 uninstall files. Without this
data, you cannot uninstall IE8 Beta 2. The only way to remove IE8 Beta 2
now is to format & reinstall Vista and all Vista updates including Vista SP1
(if the machine didn't come with Vista SP1 preinstalled).

On the other hand, you should be able to install IE8 final release.

NB: The free IE8 Beta Support for US and CA residents
(http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?prid=12357) is going to tell
you the same thing so don't bother calling.

==================================

Off Topic: I'd advise you to disable email scanning by your anti-virus
application to avoid Windows Mail problems. It provides no additional
protection and even Symantec says it's not necessary:

<QP>
Disabling Email Scanning does not leave you unprotected against viruses that
are distributed as email attachments. Norton AntiVirus Auto-Protect scans
incoming files as they are saved to your hard drive, including email and
email attachments. Email Scanning is just another layer on top of this. To
make sure that Auto-Protect is providing the maximum protection, keep
Auto-Protect enabled and run LiveUpdate regularly to ensure that you have
the most recent virus definitions.
</QP>
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/docid/2002111812533106

--

matthew steward wrote:
> I get: "AN ERROR HAS HAPPENED. SOME UPDATES WEREN'T UNINSTALLED CORRECTLY"
> whenever I try to uninstall IE 8 b2
> I installed IE8 b2 after installing Vista SP1 (from Vista Home Premium)
> but
> from IE 7;
> I use a lot of registry cleaners:
> I used Comodo beta registry cleaner
> I'm using MV Reg Clean 5.5
> I use CCleaner
> I use Advanced Windows Personal Care
> I use Glary
> I use Auslogic Registry Defragmentor;
> I'm going to post. I'm a CA resident
>

> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>> Assuming that means you installed IE8 Beta 2 AFTER you'd installed Vista
>> SP1:
>>
>> => Post the verbatim error message you get when trying to uninstall IE8
>> Beta 2.
>>
>> => See both parts of the section "How to uninstall Internet Explorer 8
>> Beta 2" here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949787
>>
>> => Do you use a "Registry cleaner"? Have you used one since you
>> installed
>> IE8 Beta 2? If so, you're out of luck.
>>
>> => Post about this issue in the IE Beta newsgroup:
>>
>> NB: The only IE8 Beta support for non-US/CA residents is in that
>> newsgroup. You may end up having to reinstall Vista; such are the risks
>> of
>> installing beta software.
>>
>> The only possibly good news in all of this is that you should be able to
>> install the final release of IE8.

matthew steward

Sep 16, 2008, 9:08:58 PM9/16/08
Actually, I've got a personnal message from a friend that installed the
patch on 2 PCs with IE8b2 on and PCTOOLS FW instead of COMODO3 FW. Since
COMODO already did this to me in the past, I'm going to remove it all
cleanly and that is my last chance. I'll keep IE8 b2 because I like it
better than IE7 and it's stable. I'll let you know.

> ---
> Antivirus avast! : message Entrant sain.
> Base de donnees virale (VPS) : 080916-0, 2008-09-16
> Analyse le : 2008-09-16 21:03:44

---
Antivirus avast! : message Sortant sain.

Base de donnees virale (VPS) : 080916-0, 2008-09-16
Analyse le : 2008-09-16 21:09:02

matthew steward

Sep 17, 2008, 2:19:52 AM9/17/08
I'm sorry for me but even this didn't work out. Installation stops at 94%
completion before failing. Tried deactivating all my security app.
SpywareBlaster too but with same results.

"matthew steward" <ma...@hotmail.com> a écrit dans le message de

> Analyse le : 2008-09-17 02:17:40

---
Antivirus avast! : message Sortant sain.
Base de donnees virale (VPS) : 080916-0, 2008-09-16

Analyse le : 2008-09-17 02:19:56

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Sep 17, 2008, 1:07:19 PM9/17/08
And if you uninstall Comodo FW and then merely enable the Windows Firewall?

Has a Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on the machine?

Which of the above are still installed and loading at boot?

matthew steward

Sep 17, 2008, 10:51:10 PM9/17/08
I tried with the Windows FW. Same error message. I bought this computer with
Norton on, as a trial. I removed it thoroughly with Norton Removal Tool and
installed AVAST antivirus 1 year ago.

> ---
> Antivirus avast! : message Entrant sain.
> Base de donnees virale (VPS) : 080917-0, 2008-09-17
> Analyse le : 2008-09-17 22:49:16

---
Antivirus avast! : message Sortant sain.

Base de donnees virale (VPS) : 080917-0, 2008-09-17
Analyse le : 2008-09-17 22:51:13

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Sep 18, 2008, 11:28:23 AM9/18/08
I'd format and reinstall Vista if I were you, Matthew.

I have nothing further to add to this conversation.

--

matthew steward wrote:
> I tried with the Windows FW. Same error message. I bought this computer
> with
> Norton on, as a trial. I removed it thoroughly with Norton Removal Tool
> and
> installed AVAST antivirus 1 year ago.
>

>> And if you uninstall Comodo FW and then merely enable the Windows
>> Firewall?
>>
>> Has a Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on the machine?

>> Which of the above are still installed and loading at boot?
>>
>> matthew steward wrote:
>>> I'm sorry for me but even this didn't work out. Installation stops at
>>> 94%
>>> completion before failing. Tried deactivating all my security app.
>>> SpywareBlaster too but with same results.

<snip>

Robert Aldwinckle

Sep 18, 2008, 4:18:34 PM9/18/08
"matthew steward" <ma...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> Installation stops at 94% completion before failing.

Try some diagnosis? Have you looked at the logs which the install process creates for clues?
You could use ProcMon to supplement them if necessary.

---

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Sep 18, 2008, 8:28:27 PM9/18/08
Robert Aldwinckle wrote:

> "matthew steward" wrote:
>> Installation stops at 94% completion before failing.
>
> Try some diagnosis? Have you looked at the logs which the install
> process
> creates for clues? You could use ProcMon to supplement them if
> necessary.

Robert, have you read this entire thread? Have you seen all of the Registry
cleaners this OP has used?

http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsupdate/browse_frm/thread/3940a9a96ef5e965 &
ff