after sp3 saga

Ghada

Sep 26, 2008, 4:43:02 PM9/26/08
After updating to sp3 and clean ups, somehow my windows xp
lost its response to both "stand by" and "hibernate" options in the shut down
option, though they are both enabled in the control panel power option.
Also, Word no longer respond! Please, help! Thanx

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Sep 26, 2008, 8:53:19 PM9/26/08
A Windows XP SP3-based computer loses wireless connectivity when it resumes
from standby or from hibernation, or you receive an error message when you
try to put the computer in standby or in hibernation
[Feel free to ignore the title]
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/951447

http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?gprid=1173 | select "Windows
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Ghada

Sep 26, 2008, 10:42:00 PM9/26/08
I don't understand,PA Bear, what does wireless connection has to do with my
computer losing responsiveness to stand by or hibernation? I have not been
using internet wireless connection, if that is what you meant. Besides, I
don't get any response, NOT even an error message. (Sorry if I sound so thick)

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Sep 27, 2008, 3:37:42 AM9/27/08
The KB title includes the words "or you receive an error message when you
try to put the computer in standby or in hibernation" and I did say to
ignore the title.
--
~PA Bear

Ghada

Sep 27, 2008, 10:22:00 AM9/27/08
PA Bear!!!!!!!!!! I think you are confusing my post with that of Bacchus41
(After XP Pro SP3 update, network conn....) of Sept 26. Because I read
his/her post and the answers you are giving me are respnding to Bacchus41,
not to mine and have nothing to do with my question. :-0

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Sep 27, 2008, 3:11:26 PM9/27/08
While your thread and Bacchus41's thread are similar, I was not confusing
them when I replied to your thread.

Either see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/951447 (ignoring the title) or
open a free support incident, Ghada.

Ghada

Sep 27, 2008, 4:43:01 PM9/27/08
Sorry, PA Bear, apparently I am the confused one! I'm very new to tech
support and struggling to figure out the lingo and etiquette on top of fixing
my computer. But I am really learning a lot and enjoying it. I've done the KB
951447 with its and all the "workaround" but nothing is helping! How can I
open a free support incident? ;-)

Shenan Stanley

Sep 27, 2008, 4:52:24 PM9/27/08
<snipped>

Ghada wrote:
> Sorry, PA Bear, apparently I am the confused one! I'm very new to
> tech support and struggling to figure out the lingo and etiquette
> on top of fixing my computer. But I am really learning a lot and
> enjoying it. I've done the KB 951447 with its and all the
> "workaround" but nothing is helping! How can I open a free support
> incident? ;-)

See the very first response to your posting:
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsupdate/browse_frm/thread/33c19436cb3f1661/6f7a8779396e87e9?lnk=st&q=#6f7a8779396e87e9

Or - you can go here:

A place to get FREE support for SP3 installation issues *from Microsoft*...
http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?ln=en-us&prid=11273&gprid=522131

http://msmvps.com/blogs/harrywaldron/archive/2008/05/08/windows-xp-sp3-read-all-prerequisites-for-a-successful-installation.aspx

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950717

--