update shield

chronos

May 23, 2009, 5:37:01 AM5/23/09
ok I'm running win xp sp3 which is fully up to date but! I've noticed over
the last few updates that they download and instead of the yellow shield in
the system tray saying to install updates now, there is nothing!

I've alterted all the settings from full auto to download and install at set
times etc, but nothing seems to change it! the only way the updates get
installed is at shutdown when it says to shutdown and install updates! how
can I get the shield icon back to install when I want to? even in event
viewer it says windows update are ready to install the following day at set
time, but still get install at shutdown that day.

It's just a pain which I'd like to get sorted out back to the shield icon if
possible as I've no idea why it dissapeared.

PA Bear [MS MVP]

May 23, 2009, 10:45:20 AM5/23/09
Is Automatic Updates set to "Download but Notify" or "Notify Only"
configuration?

When you go to turn off your computer, do you see an "Install updates and
turn off computer" button?
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

hyff

May 24, 2009, 7:04:04 AM5/24/09

chronos

May 28, 2009, 1:04:03 PM5/28/09
thanks for the reply PA! sry I've been a bit busy, to answer you question
I've tried both settings and no change and yes, when I goto shutdown I do get
the install updates and turn off! atm it's the only way the updates will
install! and I used to have it set on automatic before and it would download
and then tell me to install where as now they download and wait untill I
shutdown! the shield icon telling me they are available to install is
missing, I've no idea why!

MowGreen

May 28, 2009, 1:59:49 PM5/28/09
Please try another attempt at updating by using the Windows Update
shortcut on the Start Menu or open Internet Explorer, click Tools >
Windows Update.
After doing the above, please post at least the *last* 50 or so lines of
the WindowsUpdate.log into your next post:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/902093

MowGreen
================
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

PA Bear [MS MVP]

May 28, 2009, 1:53:42 PM5/28/09
Short answer: You're not seeing the Automatic Updates (AU) "Updates are
ready to be installed" icon because AU hasn't yet been able to download
*all* of the updates you've approved. [I'd recommend sticking with the
Notify Only option IIWY.]

You can install the updates that have downloaded by clicking on the "Install
updates and turn off computer" button (though you'll have no idea what
updates are installing).

Or you can install *all* of the updates manually via Windows Update
(http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com): Understand that by doing so, you're
pushing all other Automatic Updates users further back in the queue (which
may explain, at least in part, why Automatic Updates hasn't brought all of
them in for you yet).

NB: The update servers are pretty swamped these days as they're offering
Vista & Win2008 SP2, IE8, and Office 2007 SP2 (among others). Each one of
them is /huge/ so the AU queue is quite long. See...

Updates are not downloaded or the “Automatic Updates” icon does not display
the status of downloads when you enable the Automatic Updates service:
~PA Bear

PA Bear [MS MVP]

May 28, 2009, 2:06:47 PM5/28/09
[Hey, get your own OP, BroMow! <VBEG>]

MowGreen wrote:
> Please try another attempt at updating by using the Windows Update
> shortcut on the Start Menu or open Internet Explorer, click Tools >
> Windows Update.
> After doing the above, please post at least the *last* 50 or so lines of
> the WindowsUpdate.log into your next post:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/902093

chronos

May 29, 2009, 9:28:02 AM5/29/09
I've kept the settings as you've suggested PA and have it set at notify but
don't d/l or install from what you say it would make sense that's what is
happening! thanks for the help and info PA Bear!

PA Bear [MS MVP]

May 29, 2009, 12:46:11 PM5/29/09
YW. Again, you can always by-pass AU and install updates manually via
Windows Update.