Receiving Update Error number: 0x800B0001

Lambert@discussions.microsoft.com R. Lambert

Feb 22, 2005, 11:27:04 AM2/22/05
For the last few days I've been trying to access Windows Update and each time
I get Error number: 0x800B0001 which halts the process right there. If anyone
knows how to overcome this problem, I'll be eternally grateful.

Sinith

Feb 22, 2005, 11:59:01 AM2/22/05
Hi Lambert,

We had the similar message when we did the windows update on our server.
We copied the message from the eventviewer and got the fix from Microsoft
website.
It works like a charm.
Regards,
Sinith

Patti MacLeod

Feb 22, 2005, 12:09:28 PM2/22/05
Hi R. Lambert,

Give this a try and see if it resolves the problem........

Go to Start>Run and key in each of these commands, one at a time, clicking
on OK or hitting ENTER after each command and then clicking on OK in the
RegSvr32 dialogue box:

regsvr32 softpub.dll
regsvr32 mssip32.dll
regsvr32 initpki.dll
regsvr32 wintrust.dll

Now see if you can successfully use Windows Update site.

Regards,

--
Patti MacLeod
Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User

"R. Lambert" <R. Lam...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

R. Lambert

Feb 22, 2005, 12:51:17 PM2/22/05
Patti,

I followed your instructions to the letter and I'm still getting the same
error message. Do you know of any other methods that may work?

At any rate, thanks very much for your assistance.

R. Lambert

R. Lambert

Feb 22, 2005, 12:57:03 PM2/22/05
Perhaps I'm misapprehending your remedy. Do you mean you pasted the error
message number into the bar at the upper right hand corner of the window and
ran a search? I tried that and I got three choices. all related to language
issues which frankly confused me.

Could you, if possible, give me a fuller account of what the nature of this
problem was for you and how you overcame it? I just want to make certain I
understand what I'm dealing with here and whether or not I've missed
something crucial.

Thanks in advance..

R. Lambert

Patti MacLeod

Feb 22, 2005, 1:23:58 PM2/22/05
You're welcome for the assistance :-)

I did a little searching for previous threads where I had posted the same
instructions for others receiving that same error message, and of the couple
who responded back stating that registering those .dll files did not solve
the problem, here is what worked for them:

1) one gentleman met with success after restarting his computer

2) another gentleman ran this batch file (written by MVP Torgeir Bakken):
http://www.michna.com/kb/fixdb.bat
(this is a direct link to the d/load)

Regards,

--
Patti MacLeod
Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User

"R. Lambert" <RLam...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

R. Lambert

Feb 22, 2005, 1:59:09 PM2/22/05
Patti,

Well, it turns out al I had to do was restart the computer and . . . voila!
. . . the problem was not only solved, but the proces was a lot smoother than
it's been for months.

Thanks beyond all thanks! :-)

Take care...

Patti MacLeod

Feb 22, 2005, 2:05:43 PM2/22/05
You're most welcome :-)

And thank YOU for posting back to let me know that it was the restart that
worked........the next time that I respond to a thread regarding this error
message, I must ensure that my response includes "restart your computer".

Regards,

--
Patti MacLeod
Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User

"R. Lambert" <RLam...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

cjd

Feb 22, 2005, 10:55:02 PM2/22/05
Patti;

What does Torgeir's fixdb.bat do? There is no description on his website.
-cjd

Patti MacLeod

Feb 23, 2005, 12:20:53 AM2/23/05
Hi cjd,

The batch file is not on his website, it is located on Hans-Georg Michna's
site:
http://www.michna.com/kb/WxSP2.htm#Cannot_install_Service_Pack_2 (scroll
down to the "Cryptographic service and related errors" section)
The batch file stops the Cryptographic Service, renames the log files in the
%SystemRoot%\Security folder, renames the CatRoot2 folder, unregisters and
then reregisters the .dll files are associated with Cryptographic Services,
then configures and starts the Cryptographic Service.

Regards,

--
Patti MacLeod
Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User

"cjd" <c...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

iis

Aug 31, 2008, 7:50:01 AM8/31/08
Hi to all,
Am just indeed very thankfull for the help to solve this error, which i have
too trying to solve it for half a yr now, i cant access my msn and unable to
update and well after i follow all those instruction :

Go to Start>Run and key in each of these commands, one at a time,
clicking> > on OK or hitting ENTER after each command and then clicking on
OK in the > > RegSvr32 dialogue box:

> > regsvr32 softpub.dll
> > regsvr32 mssip32.dll
> > regsvr32 initpki.dll
> > regsvr32 wintrust.dll

After the RESTART my comp able to operate normally again =) Thanks guys am
very grateful to u all =) take care !!

=)