Force Windows Updqte

Gary Adams Lsu Edu

Nov 5, 2008, 4:21:39 PM11/5/08
1. How can I force windows update to DL and update .net framework 3.5?

2. How can I manually use Windows Update to run the net.framework 3.5
version?
dotNetFx35setup.exe

3. I tried to standalone DL. The DL'ed file, dotNetFx35setup.exe will not
complete. It hangs.

4. Can I rename the msi*.* files in System32 and restart and retry to run
the
dotNetFx35setup.exe ?

Thank you.

MowGreen [MVP]

Nov 5, 2008, 4:44:43 PM11/5/08
Gary,

Let's start with the installation issue first:

>> 3. I tried to standalone DL. The DL'ed file, dotNetFx35setup.exe will
>> not complete. It hangs.

Which Version of Windows, please ? If there's an issue installing a .NET
runtime from a manual download then there will *most* likely be an issue
installing it via Windows Update.

The installation logs will probably reveal where the issue lies:

Where to find .NET Framework 2.0 SP1, .NET Framework 3.0 SP1 and .NET
Framework 3.5 setup log files
http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2008/04/30/8445569.aspx

The most common cause of an installation failure of a .NET runtime is
attributable to antivirus/security software actively monitoring the
system during the install operation. The second most common cause,
especially in the case of runtimes 2.0 and up, is corruption of a
previously installed .NET runtime.

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2009]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Nov 5, 2008, 7:04:45 PM11/5/08
posting to this newsgroup.

Is Automatic Updates offering the machine .NET Framework 3.5 but it fails to
install? Any error messages (found in WindowsUpdate.log which are)
associated with the failed installs (e.g., 0x643)?
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net

Gary Adams Lsu Edu

Nov 6, 2008, 2:43:48 PM11/6/08
Thank you PA Bear [MS MVP]

I will buy a new HD and test on that.

Gary Adams Lsu Edu

Nov 6, 2008, 2:43:13 PM11/6/08
Thank you for the help MowGreen [MVP 2003-2009]

I will buy a new HD and test the install on it.

It worked in installing 3.5 but Exp Web would not complete the install.

There must be other problems with my XP home. This is part of what I
followed.

Aaron Stebner's WebLog

NET Framework Troubleshooting Guide:

http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/articles/454956.aspx

Removal/Cleanup tool to fix .NET Framework install failures
(and uninstall failures)

http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2005/04/08/406671.aspx

"This cleanup tool will delete shared files and registry keys
used by other versions of the .NET Framework. So if you use it,
be prepared to repair or reinstall any other versions of the
.NET Framework that are on your computer to get them
to work correctly afterwards"

Description of the Windows Installer CleanUp Utility
(If all else fails)

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301

Note: Read the "Summary" section of this article
so you fully understand what the Installer Cleanup Utility
can and can not do.

When you try to install an update for
.NET Framework 1.0, 1.1, 2.0, 3.0, or 3.5,
you may receive Windows Update error code "0x643"
or Windows Installer error code "1603" :

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923100

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Nov 6, 2008, 4:39:13 PM11/6/08
And were you receiving Windows Update error code "0x643" or Windows
Installer error code "1603" when attempting to install .NET Framework v3.5
via Windows Update or manually?