Remove 98 from Windows 2000 Dual Boot

Bill Bierbower

Sep 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/26/00
I just installed Windows 2K Pro onto my notebook (went suprisingly well so
far) and it retained the Windows 98 for a dual boot startup.

I desparately need the drive space back that Windows98 is taking and want to
remove it. What do I need to do to ensure I dont create any problems?

Thanks,
Bill Bierbower

Bjorn Landemoo

Sep 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/26/00

Bill

Edit "boot.ini", to remove the reference to Win98. Delete all files in the
root of your C drive, except "boot.ini", "ntdetect.com", "ntldr",
"pagefile.sys" and "ntbootdd.sys" (if it exists). Delete the Win98 system
root, and any files you can positively identify as Win98 files. To be safe,
don't delete anything at once, move the files to a temporary folder, and
delete the folder when you have verified that Win2000 and all applications
works correctly.

Best regards

Bjorn
--
Bjorn Landemoo - bj...@landemoo.com - http://landemoo.com/
Microsoft MVP - Windows NT

Bill Bierbower

Sep 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/26/00
Thanks for the info and I will go after this. FYI, my boot.ini does not
appear to make reference to Win98, Here it is:

[boot loader]
timeout=5
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000
Professional"
/fastdetect
C:\="Microsoft Windows"

Any Ideas?

Sincere Thanks,
Bill

"Bjorn Landemoo" <bj...@landemoo.com> wrote in message

Tino Donderwinkel

Sep 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/27/00
Hi there,

Just modify the (read only) file BOOT.INI on the system partition. Simply
remove the line with "MS Windows" and keep the lines with "Windows NT".
After this, you can no longer start Windows 98 from the boot menu. You can
now safely delete all Windows 98 related files!
(There also is a little DOS BOOT file in the root of the system partition,
you can delete that one as well)

Tino Donderwinkel

"Bill Bierbower" <bi...@bierbower.net> wrote in message

Sonny

Sep 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/27/00

Hi Bill,

The line:

C:\="Microsoft Windows"

points to your Win98 version...I understand you'd like to get rid of
Win98...that being the case...delete this line...

Make sure you change the "Read Only" attribute of boot.ini file (right
click file & click properties, clear the read only attribute, save the
settings). Then edit the file as required (delete the above line).

I suggest you edit the line:

Timeout=5 to read Timeout=0

This will "hide" your boot menu which you'll not need anyway since you'll be
booting straight into W2K...

NOTE: Once you've edited your boot.ini, you'll need to change the attributes
of the file (above procedure) by going to the file properties, clicking the
"Read Only" option & saving the file again...from then on you should be
OK...

Sonny