Re: Can't rip to MP3 with new but with old Dell?

zachd [ms]

Feb 7, 2006, 3:29:56 AM2/7/06

What are the values under:
===
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\MediaPlayer\Settings\Mp3Encoding
===
?

"cloud36" <clo...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My old Dell 4600 XP Prof. SP2 media player version 10.3646 can rip CD's
> all mp3 format's, my new Dell XPS400 with Media Plaer 10.3937 can't
> because:
> "compatible MP3 encoder is not installed on your computer. "
> Any idea how to fix it whith purchase of an encoder?

cloud36

Feb 7, 2006, 6:36:26 PM2/7/06
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MediaPlayer\Settings\MP3Encoding]
"(Default)"=(value not set)
"LowRate"=dword:0000dac0
"MediumRate"=dword:0002ee00
"MediumHighRate"=dword:0003e800
"HighRate"=dword:0004e200
"PreferredCodecName"="MPEG Layer-3"
"PreferredCodecPath"="C:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\l3codeca.acm"
"LowRateSample"=dword:00005dc0

and yes,

Is l3codecp.acm in your system32 directory?

it is.

zachd [ms]

Feb 8, 2006, 8:45:05 AM2/8/06

What the hell? Where did you get this machine from? What have you
installed on it?

PreferredCodecPath can NOT be and MUST never be l3codeca.acm. That's
broken. Set it to l3codecp.acm and this will work.

Martin (FhG) and I worked together to devise the FhG / MP3 naming scheme ~7
years ago. l3codeca.acm is NEVER meant to be used as "PreferredCodecPath"
here.

I'm really curious as to who's setting this - it's horribly broken, and I'd
love to shut down that badness. Any ideas on what might have caused this...
?

-Zach

"cloud36" <clo...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

cloud36

Feb 8, 2006, 7:47:27 PM2/8/06
TTTTHHHHHHHAAAAANNNNNKKKKKKKKKKKKKK YYYYYYOOOOOOOUUUUU!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It works.
This is a new PC (12/05) and it has worked before I remember now, but of
course downloading here and there, upgrading a little and suddenly you get
stucked.
Microsoft read this:
=> I expect from you a support like this, fast and to the point.
Thanks again, Zachd.

zachd [ms]

Feb 8, 2006, 11:34:36 PM2/8/06

Well, a) this isn't a Microsoft support forum but b) I do work at Microsoft
(and help out here in my free time). So one way or the other... =) I'm
glad this fixed you up. =)

-Zach

"cloud36" <clo...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

mvgberg

Feb 9, 2006, 12:22:46 PM2/9/06
For what it's worth I experienced this same problem shaking down my new dell
desktop just this week and following zachd's recommendation I checked to find
the same value in PreferredCodecPath - l3codeca.acm. My system32 directory
contains both l3codeca.acm and l3codecp.acm. Haven't made the change to the
registry yet to see if it gets fixed but based on your comments it seems
curious that this problem is floating around. Thanks for the info.

mvgberg

Feb 14, 2006, 8:11:27 PM2/14/06
finally got around to making the change to my registry from l3codeca.acm to
l3codecp.acm and things are working fine. thank you zachd.