WMP 10 100% CPU Usage

MannyDJ83

Nov 12, 2004, 5:19:01 AM11/12/04
I've constantly been receiving 100% CPU usage on WMP 10 playing either audio
or video. It seems to remain with a 90+ % usage even after closing it
according to Task Manager and disappears when I end that task. Other players
work with no problems. System specs are more than adequate and should be of
no cause to this problem (unless a P4 hyperthreading issue). Norton
Antivirus, Spybot, Spyhunter, and on-line scans show no threat of viruses or
spy progams. Any help? Thanks!

I also tried the following link with no help:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=d125d278-db07-4a36-8d64-8812e7f2af70&displaylang=en

dan

Dec 22, 2004, 12:05:05 PM12/22/04
I have the same problem, It used to happen every few weeks that wmplayer.exe
would use about 100% CPU; that was while I had a DSL line. Now that I'm
without any internet connection, it happens every time I play a song. The
only change has been the move from 10Mb DSL to complete lack of internet. I'm
thinking it has something to do with WMP attempting to update/rearrange my
music library. But I'm now sure how my internet connection actually
correlates with my CPU usage. This used to be a minor annoyance but has
turned into a major pain.

Specs:
Dell Dimension 4300
1.6 Mhz P-IV 400 FSB
512Mb RAM
15+ GB Music; 25+ GB Movies
WMP10

nyc LOVE

Jul 24, 2005, 8:28:28 PM7/24/05

Hi guys. I've got similar problem - WMP10 stutters after a few minutes
of mp3 playback and pushes the CPU over 90% usage. My pc is a 3.6Ghz XP
Media pc straight out the box so power is not the issue.
Tried various things like disabling internet, re-installing wmp10,
uninstalling Windows Update KB893086 (a suggested fix), but still
having issues.
Frustrating thing is there seem to be a lot of folks posting this
problem but little in the way of helpful advice. Any suggestions?
James

--
nyc LOVE

Zarax

Jul 25, 2005, 12:47:04 AM7/25/05
Switching overlays/high quality mode on/off sometimes helps but there is no
absolute guarantee it would work in all cases...

"nyc LOVE" <nyc.LOV...@mail.mcse.ms> wrote in message

nyc LOVE

Jul 25, 2005, 10:25:22 AM7/25/05

Found below on Microsoft/Usergroups/MediaPlayer posted by "Dan". Seems
to be working fine - CPU down to 2%. James

The cause is in the setting of WMP
Options > Library > Monitor Folders

By default 4 folders (in Document and Settings folder)
are included to be monitored for media files, namely
All User > Video
All User > Music
current user > Video
current user > Music

However, WMP never informs us about this. The Music
folder in my pc contains Gigs of mp3s and that's the
reason why wmp process raises up to 100% when loading the
playlist.

I've removed all folders in the list and now everything
seems working fine! wmp takes at most 5% when playing mp3.