Cannot rip CDs to MP3 format with Media Player 10, Windows XP

L@discussions.microsoft.com Alex L

Apr 8, 2006, 1:15:01 AM4/8/06
It looks like this is a fairly common problem, judging from prior questions.

I downloaded Windows Media Player 10 about one month ago. I have just
started to try and rip music from CDs to MP3 format, but get this error
message:

"Windows Media Player cannot rip the track because a compatible MP3 encoder
is not installed on your computer. Install a compatible MP3 encoder or choose
a different format to rip to (such as Windows Media Audio)."

For some reason, the only setting that would rip properly into MP3 format
was 56 kbps.

(B) I then went to the Microsoft Help Center, where I came across this:

" There may be a problem with a registry setting on your computer that is
preventing Windows Media Player 10 from ripping into the MP3 format at a
quality setting of 128 Kbps. You can switch to a different quality setting,
or you can delete the registry setting if you prefer to use the 128 Kbps
setting.

In Registry Editor, click the following registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\MediaPlayer\Settings\Mp3Encoding
In the pane on the right, right-click the LowRateSample value, and then
click Delete."

(C) I deleted the LowRateSample from my registry, as suggested above. Now, I
cannot rip into MP3 in any format. I get an error for all MP3 settings,
including the previously working 56 kbps.

(D) Going through my registry, my PreferredCodecPath is l3codeca.acm, which
apparently is an error according to zachd

I am a bit of a novice, so I would need slow, step by step guidance on how
to correct this problem.

Thanks!

Alex L

Apr 8, 2006, 3:34:01 PM4/8/06
I managed to fix the problem. I changed my PreferredCodecPath from
l3codeca.acm to l3codecp.acm in the Registry Editor, which is what zachd
recommended in an earlier post. Everything is working fine now.

AE

Apr 8, 2006, 3:32:01 PM4/8/06
I second that motion!
I have the exact problem, and did the exact same thing, and don't know what
to do.

zachd [MSFT]

Apr 9, 2006, 6:19:28 AM4/9/06

It shouldn't.
What's the error in that context? Was it working previously?

--
Windows Media Development Team (speaking for myself only)

"Alex L" <Al...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Okay, now I can rip to MP3 format, but now I can't sync the MP3 files to
> my
> MP3 player. *sigh* one problem after another.
>
> Does anyone know if changing the PreferredCodecPath from
> l3codeca.acm to l3codecp.acm in the Registry Editor is causing the
> problem?
>
> "AE" wrote:
>
>> Thank you so very very very much.
>>
>> That worked.

Alex L

Apr 10, 2006, 1:58:01 AM4/10/06
(1) At first, I could only rip to MP3 with the 56 kbps setting, and had no
problems syncing to my MP3 player.

(2) I then deleted the LowRateSample from the registry. After that, I could
not rip to MP3 at ANY setting, including the previously working 56 kbps.

(3) I then changed my PreferredCodecPath from l3codeca.acm to l3codecp.acm.
After that, I can rip to MP3 with any setting.

(4) However, now I can't sync to my MP3 player. I even tried syncing some
non-protected "preloaded" songs that came with WMP 10, which I assume would
be properly formatted.

(5) The error message I receive when trying to sync is:

"WMP cannot play the file. If the file is on another computer, verify you
are connected to the network. If you typed a path, verify that it is correct.
If the problem persists, the server may not be available. "

When I click "more information," it says Error Code C00D1197 Cannot play the
file," with more information popping up.

Any help appreciated, thanks!

zachd [MSFT]

Apr 14, 2006, 4:04:52 AM4/14/06

Is there any correlation between those data points? That is: if you reverse
the steps can you get syncing working again...? I can help with ripping to
some extent, but syncing you're probably better off talking to actual
product support-
http://zachd.com/pss/pss.html#psssupport
since I don't keep track of the various firmware updates and etc that
vendors are putting out. =\

-Zach

--
Windows Media Development Team (speaking for myself only)

Now Playing: "MILK BATTLE3 mix" by "Dan the Swede and Steve Bloodbath" in
WMP10.
--

"Alex L" <Al...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Skudley@discussions.microsoft.com Lord Skudley

Jun 25, 2006, 5:29:02 AM6/25/06
Say What??? I have this same problem and I don't understand this solution.
Please asume I have no clue as to what "PreferredCodecPath" means or what a
Registry Editor is and explane it in layman terms.

zachd [MSFT]

Jun 28, 2006, 3:07:23 AM6/28/06

In that case, reinstalling the player likely would be a good option for you.
I believe that should fix it up. If not-
http://zachd.com/pss/pss.html#mp3encode
is the data which you might ask a friend to translate. =)

--

"Lord Skudley" <Lord Sku...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message