Controlling active WMP

Luke

May 10, 2004, 4:34:37 AM5/10/04
I'm writing a program in VB.net that needs to access the
current song playing on the user's player. Pretty much all
of the documentation I've found for the SDK talks about
embedding a player object in a program. Is there any way
to control (or at least access information) from the main
app? Thanks

Alessandro Angeli [MVP::DigitalMedia]

May 10, 2004, 4:54:53 AM5/10/04
"Luke" <ldhe...@hotmail.com> wrote:

The following refers to C++, but maybe it applies to .NET as well:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/wmplay/mmp_sdk/remotingthewindowsmediaplayercontrol.asp

--

Alessandro Angeli

MVP::DigitalMedia

a dot angeli at biosys dot net

Luke

May 10, 2004, 6:07:48 PM5/10/04
That is exactly what I need. Thanks so much for pointing
that out...I dug all around and couldn't find anything.
only one more thing...I've never even seen COM code let
alone written any, and this says that I have to implement a
couple things. Has anyone had any experience coding COM or
knows of a resource that I could look at? thanks.

>.

anon...@discussions.microsoft.com

May 11, 2004, 2:29:40 AM5/11/04
So it turns out that the remoting only works in c++. I'm
sure there's some way that I could create a module in c++
and call it from my VB program, but I think that's beyond
my scope at this point. Does anyone know of any other way
to do this?

>.

Alessandro Angeli [MVP::DigitalMedia]

May 13, 2004, 8:44:22 AM5/13/04
"anon...@discussions.microsoft.com" <anon...@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

> So it turns out that the remoting only works in c++. I'm
> sure there's some way that I could create a module in c++
> and call it from my VB program, but I think that's beyond
> my scope at this point. Does anyone know of any other way
> to do this?

You can achieve a limited control over a running WMP by sending its window
WM_COMMAND messages corresponding to its menu items or by sending it
WM_APPCOMMAND messages. You can do it in VB as well using the Win32 API.

Read here:

http://www.google.it/groups?selm=O2IZTSRHCHA.2296%40tkmsftngp12
http://www.google.it/groups?selm=%23EtrJYN%24BHA.1916%40tkmsftngp04
http://www.google.it/groups?selm=uMvLIIBXDHA.2576%40TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl